Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 75 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prediction: I really doubt he will be able to go through with this. I think there’s going to be too much pressure from states opening up, from Trump, and from everyone else who just want to enjoy their Summer.

Lets be realistic. Does he seriously expect everyone to stay inside and do nothing ALL SUMMER!? Especially when spring has been canceled?
Do you expect the coronavirus to just be over this summer? I 100% be he follows thru, he's been the only leader we've really had on this be willing to take the extra precautions we need.

There needs to be major precautions taken when these kind of things open up. I believe there needs to be some sort of government guideline (maybe just goes state by state especially since our leader has told every state to F off) and I think thats the best way to handle things. Not companies making their own decisions and guidlines, guidelines set by health officials and government leaders, not business people looking to make back their profit. I think thats the safest way we can all do this. Regulate that movie theatre, theme parks, concerts, etc open up at a certain % of capacity. Idk what that % is but I'm not paid or in a position to do that lol. To me thats the only way we get through this TOGETHER rather than some places opening up fully, some not, creating the debate and divisenes of how serious this really is when a person can say "Well ___ is letting everyone in totally, why can't I go ____ and do that?".

Gotta be state/nationwide in order to corral all this and get people in line as much as possible. Ease any restrictions and people will go wild.

Reactions: tankart150
Sure that would close down theme parks, concerts, etc. Malls may have to run at limited capacity. But most of the world would be back open to normal. Movie theaters and everything like that would potentially be open. I think he's taking a sensible approach.

I was actually thinking about the differences between malls and theme parks last night, and this may be the loophole that they can use to re-open the parks.

When you think about the actual physical properties, theme parks are very similar to malls or small cities. There are multiple locations (attractions, stores, restaurants, etc) all connected by a central thoroughfare.

One could easily make the argument that, if malls are allowed to be open, theme parks should as well. Sure, there may be some consideration to limiting capacity, but the similarities are there. Heck, the parks actually give you more room to spread out when compared to a mall. They're closer to the city side of the spectrum in that regard.

The real question is how you handle the queues for the attractions. That's where the similarities start to break down slightly.

The difference between theme parks and malls are just that, malls don't have queues of people lining up for a ride consistently for at least 20 minutes, sometimes up to 2 hours or more, riding in the same vehicles and touching the same lap bars, seat belts, shooters, buttons, everything on the ride. Then you take into account the food, the opening and closing of doors, touching handles, there's WAAYYY more involved to a theme park than a mall imo. I see your point but to me they're different animals.

I genuinely worry about some of the SNW interactivity being canceled or postponed cause of this, at least in its initial phases. Who's going to want to touch a ? box right now? No matter how many coins are in there? Idk, there is a lot the theme parks are going to have to do to figure this one out.

The difference between theme parks and malls are just that, malls don't have queues of people lining up for a ride consistently for at least 20 minutes, sometimes up to 2 hours or more, riding in the same vehicles and touching the same lap bars, seat belts, shooters, buttons, everything on the ride. Then you take into account the food, the opening and closing of doors, touching handles, there's WAAYYY more involved to a theme park than a mall imo. I see your point but to me they're different animals.

I genuinely worry about some of the SNW interactivity being canceled or postponed cause of this, at least in its initial phases. Who's going to want to touch a ? box right now? No matter how many coins are in there? Idk, there is a lot the theme parks are going to have to do to figure this one out.

It's going to depend on how long things are closed for, I think. Given that EU isn't set to open until 2023 I think that's safe. USJ? ehhh...

malls don't have queues of people

Yea, queues are the big thing. Packing people in close to one another is the big issue.

I don't think there's anything to worry about regarding that. It's integral to the land, and will be built no matter what.

Reactions: Frogki
Yea, queues are the big thing. Packing people in close to one another is the big issue.
And if every ride goes virtual, then you just having a mass amount of people standing around the park waiting for their return time, crowding up the park, which isn't ideal either.

It's going to depend on how long things are closed for, I think. Given that EU isn't set to open until 2023 I think that's safe. USJ? ehhh...
Ya I don't see it being outright cancelled but I do see them not selling many of the wristbands initially. I just don't think its something people are going to be wanting to do right now. Some, sure, but in the masses they were expecting? No. So I do worry for SNW at USJ right now. I could just see them not opening up the interactivity things or pushing the land back itself until those measures are taken and it is safe for people to do these kind of things. Idk just my opinion.

And if every ride goes virtual, then you just having a mass amount of people standing around the park waiting for their return time, crowding up the park, which isn't ideal either.

I think for that to work you'd have to drastically raise ticket prices and slash the number of tickets per day.

Maybe limit a MK size park to After Hours size crowds or something similar, or something where you get a timed ticket and get 1/2 day in the park, and then it switches at 1pm to another "shift" for the evening?

I think for that to work you'd have to drastically raise ticket prices and slash the number of tickets per day.

Maybe limit a MK size park to After Hours size crowds or something similar, or something where you get a timed ticket and get 1/2 day in the park, and then it switches at 1pm to another "shift" for the evening?

Or there's a chance, a good one at that imo, that demand just isn't there and visitation drops off so much that they won't need to do that.

I'd disagree with a mandated % of occupancy at opening, or specifically restricting any particular business sector from opening. Painting with a broad brush like that is detrimental to re-opening anything. Why couldn't a movie theater be open right now if they were selling 4 tickets per show and seating people at the far ends of the theater, why couldn't theme parks be open right now if they only allowed 100 people at a time in, same goes for malls, barber shops, furniture stores, pretty much any currently closed business. If a business can make financial sense of remaining opening, while maintaining proper sanitation/separation guidelines then why shouldn't they be allowed to open?

I understand how complicated enforcement of this is, but these things should really be written as a performance standard not operation standards. Operation standards discourage innovation and creative thinking, set the ultimate goal (public safety as dictated by proper distancing/hygiene or whatever other requirements) and let private business figure out how to meet these goals, and if it makes financial sense.

Or there's a chance, a good one at that imo, that demand just isn't there and visitation drops off so much that they won't need to do that.
Well, take it for what it’s worth I have a WDW stay booked for the last week in June and all the values and 90% of the moderate resorts are booked up. So unless folks start cancelling en-masse I think it will be relatively busy once the parks reopen. Not sure yet how they are going to deal with the “new reality” but it will be interesting...

I'd disagree with a mandated % of occupancy at opening, or specifically restricting any particular business sector from opening. Painting with a broad brush like that is detrimental to re-opening anything. Why couldn't a movie theater be open right now if they were selling 4 tickets per show and seating people at the far ends of the theater, why couldn't theme parks be open right now if they only allowed 100 people at a time in, same goes for malls, barber shops, furniture stores, pretty much any currently closed business. If a business can make financial sense of remaining opening, while maintaining proper sanitation/separation guidelines then why shouldn't they be allowed to open?

I understand how complicated enforcement of this is, but these things should really be written as a performance standard not operation standards. Operation standards discourage innovation and creative thinking, set the ultimate goal (public safety as dictated by proper distancing/hygiene or whatever other requirements) and let private business figure out how to meet these goals, and if it makes financial sense.
Do you know how much staff it takes to run a park, even if it's just for 100 people? That's why you can't do it.

Well, take it for what it’s worth I have a WDW stay booked for the last week in June and all the values and 90% of the moderate resorts are booked up. So unless folks start cancelling en-masse I think it will be relatively busy once the parks reopen. Not sure yet how they are going to deal with the “new reality” but it will be interesting...
Yea, I don’t see that situation staying that way. Especially considering airline bookings are in the toilet

Reactions: Grabnar
Do you know how much staff it takes to run a park, even if it's just for 100 people? That's why you can't do it.
What if each of those 100 people were willing to pay 100K a ticket? What if each one of the movie patrons were paying $150 a ticket? I never said it would be feasible, i just said we (gov agencies) should set performance standards for business such as spacing, sanitation guidelines, health screenings or whatever it may be, then let a business decide if it makes sense for them to be open. Not just a blanket mandate that certain market sectors cant open or operate.

Reactions: Andysol
What if each of those 100 people were willing to pay 100K a ticket? What if each one of the movie patrons were paying $150 a ticket? I never said it would be feasible, i just said we (gov agencies) should set performance standards for business such as spacing, sanitation guidelines, health screenings or whatever it may be, then let a business decide if it makes sense for them to be open. Not just a blanket mandate that certain market sectors cant open or operate.

This is literally what's being discussed with the re-opening plans right now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.