Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 79 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Entertainment reporters are coming out saying the numbers are coming out and it looked like Trolls World Tour had a 50 Million OW domestic making thing still a bigger launch than the first film and Universal taking a larger cut since they get 80% instead of 60% if released in theaters

With those numbers, I expect way more videos to go On Demand especially if they can make that level money. Probably does help that it a kids movie but maybe Disney will release one of their tentpoles such as new mutants etc on demand instead of Disney+

Entertainment reporters are coming out saying the numbers are coming out and it looked like Trolls World Tour had a 50 Million OW domestic making thing still a bigger launch than the first film and Universal taking a larger cut since they get 80% instead of 60% if released in theaters

With those numbers, I expect way more videos to go On Demand especially if they can make that level money. Probably does help that it a kids movie but maybe Disney will release one of their tentpoles such as new mutants etc on demand instead of Disney+
Wow. That’s an incredible figure. Now compared to a normal box office run I doubt it’ll have “legs”, but this is an option for some studios to make SOME cash right now.

Also while it saddens me (and I know many many more others more-so) I cannot see HHN happening. People legit screaming in your face is like blowing the coronavirus onto your face, it’s a baaaaadd idea right now I feel. If I’m then I just cancel it and do a years worth of hype for it next fall when things should be more normal

As I said in the Trolls thread... if this is true, this is a massive one off. Good luck finding these type of numbers once people are back to work and people have lives again.

I'm old but my Summer was going to be Dead & Company, Phish, and Roger Waters. Now I have to figure out someplace else to melt my mind.

Disney has to be getting very concerned about a hostile take over. Disney would be quite the jewel in Amazon's Infinity Gauntlet.

I shudder at the thought of Amazon buying Disney. Amazon is probably one of my most hated businesses.

I'm old but my Summer was going to be Dead & Company, Phish, and Roger Waters. Now I have to figure out someplace else to melt my mind.

Never know how much longer Bobby or Roger will be around, but at least Phish will be touring again once this is over.

We had tickets for Drugdealer, King Krule, Supergrass, Coachella, Cruel World Festival, Kraftwerk, Roger Waters, and New Order/Pet Shop Boys by the time everything shut down. It was shaping up to be a hell of a year.

As I said in the Trolls thread... if this is true, this is a massive one off. Good luck finding these type of numbers once people are back to work and people have lives again.

I think, at the very least, I'd be releasing every moving in theaters and on digital to rent every weekend. Especially when people are going to be wary of going to the theater for a long time as-is.

I think, at the very least, I'd be releasing every moving in theaters and on digital to rent every weekend. Especially when people are going to be wary of going to the theater for a long time as-is.

Its going to be a steep learning curve about what works and doesn’t. The problem is that it’s going to be costly and releasing lesser hyped movies isn’t going to give an accurate result.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a massive anti piracy movement recently by the studios to show the financial hurt they could be experiencing but on the other hand, you look at the revolt against celebrities like Gal Gadot singing imagine and the public don’t have much sympathy for these celebrities having to isolate in their mansions while millions of people are financially struggling.

Its going to be a steep learning curve about what works and doesn’t. The problem is that it’s going to be costly and releasing lesser hyped movies isn’t going to give an accurate result.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a massive anti piracy movement recently by the studios to show the financial hurt they could be experiencing but on the other hand, you look at the revolt against celebrities like Gal Gadot singing imagine and the public don’t have much sympathy for these celebrities having to isolate in their mansions while millions of people are financially struggling.

I think piracy is a relatively low priority. People who pirate films aren't people who are going to spend money on the film, generally.

I think piracy is a relatively low priority. People who pirate films aren't people who are going to spend money on the film, generally.

I think that's true for a lot of people pirating but there's the period when movies are in theatres where if you want to watch it, you either have to go to the cinema or watch a terrible quality recorded in a cinema copy. Releasing on home media allows pirates instant access to a high quality 4k copy.

For some pirates, going to the cinema is a necessity if they want to watch in high quality and avoid spoilers.

Good luck getting theaters to agree to that... although they may not be in a position to demand otherwise once theaters reopen, so who knows.

But once this genie is let out of the bottle, it really could be a death knell for theaters, caused by Studios that need them. Big budget movies can’t survive just with VOD.

Reactions: tankart150
I think that's kind of the thing. Theaters have lost all their bargaining power after this IMO. It's going to be fascinating to see
Look at the edit I made. I think most studios will be reluctant to do that because big budget movies can’t survive alone on VOD, but Studios would also be accelerating the demise of movie theaters by making this move.

Definitely fascinating to see what happens.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Look at the edit I made. I think most studios will be reluctant to do that because big budget movies can’t survive alone on VOD, but Studios would also be accelerating the demise of movie theaters by making this move.

Definitely fascinating to see what happens.
Yea, it would be interesting for sure. But theaters were barely scraping by as-is. I dunno. It might come down to Disney/Universal/WB owning theaters out right soon.

Yea, it would be interesting for sure. But theaters were barely scraping by as-is. I dunno. It might come down to Disney/Universal/WB owning theaters out right soon.
Which would be dangerous. Imagine each studio owns a chain - they are very likely to show just their own movies, right? So imagine the only theaters in town are a Disney and Universal but you want to see a DCEU movie. You’re SOL at that point and have to drive to the next town.

Personally, id rather Netflix or Amazon to own over the traditional studios because those guys have less of a bias. Obviously they have their own movies, but I know that they would be willing to show *everyone’s* movies, rather than just their own.

Which would be dangerous. Imagine each studio owns a chain - they are very likely to show just their own movies, right? So imagine the only theaters in town are a Disney and Universal but you want to see a DCEU movie. You’re SOL at that point and have to drive to the next town.

Personally, id rather Netflix or Amazon to own over the traditional studios because those guys have less of a bias. Obviously they have their own movies, but I know that they would be willing to show *everyone’s* movies, rather than just their own.
Yea, my guess is if the studios do end up getting into the actual theater business, which is just a theory on my end, that they would have to get into it *together* to get around anti trust laws. Basically every major studio gets an even stake.

This is what I see, which is somewhat worrisome. Does a Universal theatre only show Universal, Focus Features, Illumination, Dreamworks, and Blumhouse pictures? I could see this, and it might even prolong how long some movies run in theatres for, especially since VOD is an alternative option. Idk I could see this working if I'm being honest but also would need to make sure the wealth is spread properly, as in somewhat if not equal distribution of theaters across the country.

This is what I see, which is somewhat worrisome. Does a Universal theatre only show Universal, Focus Features, Illumination, Dreamworks, and Blumhouse pictures? I could see this, and it might even prolong how long some movies run in theatres for, especially since VOD is an alternative option. Idk I could see this working if I'm being honest but also would need to make sure the wealth is spread properly, as in somewhat if not equal distribution of theaters across the country.

This is actually how theaters used to be run, before U.S. v Paramount Pictures (1948)

Interesting timing on this one:
The United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division began a review of antitrust decrees that did not have expiration dates. On November 18, 2019, the DOJ announced it would seek to terminate the Paramount Decrees, which would include a two-year sunset period as to the practices of block booking and circuit dealing to allow theater chains to adjust. The Department stated it was "unlikely that the remaining defendants can reinstate their cartel" as reasoning for terminating the decrees.[10] The DOJ formally filed its motion for a court order to terminate the decrees on November 22, 2019.[11] The move was opposed by independent movie theater owners, including the Independent Cinema Alliance, and independent filmmakers.[9]

Status
Not open for further replies.