Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 78 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna see the Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer stadium tour in July. Guess I can kiss that goodbye.
ALSO SAME!!!! Literally guys, my summer was going to be Foo Fighters, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Weezer, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, then MCR. With the latter 2 being my 2 favorites of all time and two I've never seen.

I am utterly devastated. Literally got my tickets for the Green Day show almost a year out. NOPE.

This will effect every large gathering, even outside of LA. No way can HHNH get canceled, and HHNO is still on. You can’t prevent people from LA from traveling to Orlando, and if there is a travel restriction, it’s not worth HHNO to operate as planned.

Same for large festivals like Coachella, which has been rescheduled to October. If LA restricts large gatherings, Indio will too.

Reactions: youhow2
No way can HHNH get canceled, and HHNO is still on. You can’t prevent people from LA from traveling to Orlando, and if there is a travel restriction, it’s not worth HHNO to operate as planned.
Logistically, they can. Apart from branding and shared IPs, they’re two functionally independent events with two different audiences. If individuals travel and contract COVID-19 outside of California, (unfortunately) the individual’s fault—not California’s. And if travel restrictions are still in place, then that concern is moot.

Now, if travel restrictions are in place, would Orlando bother? They may. Orlando’s HHN is a huge money maker, where even 50% attendance is making the resort millions. Hollywood, conversely (and from my understanding) barely makes money. There’s actually financial incentive for Hollywood to not happen and Orlando to happen. I think the bigger question is if Comcast wants to risk a “HHN Outbreak” and/or attempt the complicated, “one coast but not the other,” marketing effort.

Logistically, they can. Apart from branding and shared IPs, they’re two functionally independent events with two different audiences. If individuals travel and contract COVID-19 outside of California, (unfortunately) the individual’s fault—not California’s. And if travel restrictions are still in place, then that concern is moot.

Now, if travel restrictions are in place, would Orlando bother? They may. Orlando’s HHN is a huge money maker, where even 50% attendance is making the resort millions. Hollywood, conversely (and from my understanding) barely makes money. There’s actually financial incentive for Hollywood to not happen and Orlando to happen. I think the bigger question is if Comcast wants to risk a “HHN Outbreak” and/or attempt the complicated, “one coast but not the other,” marketing effort.

Sure, anything can happen. I find it unlikely that Comcast’s executives and deciders residing in California would move forward with that plan, though.

I reallyyyy think people are underestimating the level of influence these conglomerates wield, even on (especially on) state governments.

True. But they all know it’ll be far worse for their bottom line if a second outbreak occurs. The tone I’m getting is fairly cautious.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
I reallyyyy think people are underestimating the level of influence these conglomerates wield, even on (especially on) state governments.
Disney and Universal are responsible for a lot of Florida’s tax revenues, both directly and indirectly.

They’ll both (especially Disney) have plenty of say in Florida’s plans.

Disney will get some say in California, but not as much

As someone who has never been to HHN, I am asking this out of genuine lack of knowledge, but could a modified HHN be pulled off? Eliminate or change scare zones so that the cast isn't getting in guests faces. Maybe have them behind barriers? Then in houses change the jump scares so they are not in front of people or as close. Maybe have cast members would be close to guests all be in masks, so they could wear an n95 underneath is necessary. Or maybe incorporate the n95 standard into the actual cast mask. There would have to be changes in house designs to be sure. More creepy and less in your face. Of course something would have to be done to promote distancing so people aren't packed into places. Obviously it would change the experience, but would it be so much that the event wouldn't work at all?

Reactions: tankart150
As someone who has never been to HHN, I am asking this out of genuine lack of knowledge, but could a modified HHN be pulled off? Eliminate or change scare zones so that the cast isn't getting in guests faces. Maybe have them behind barriers? Then in houses change the jump scares so they are not in front of people or as close. Maybe have cast members would be close to guests all be in masks, so they could wear an n95 underneath is necessary. Or maybe incorporate the n95 standard into the actual cast mask. There would have to be changes in house designs to be sure. More creepy and less in your face. Of course something would have to be done to promote distancing so people aren't packed into places. Obviously it would change the experience, but would it be so much that the event wouldn't work at all?

honestly? No. The houses are all super claustrophobic,so you’re going to be right up against people no matter what

honestly? No. The houses are all super claustrophobic,so you’re going to be right up against people no matter what

And there's really no physical space to expand these areas to account for social distancing. In other words, if "strict" social distancing rules are still in place, do not expect Horror Nights to go on in the affected state.

The only feasible modifications are strictly stage performers in the streets (so no one on the ground scaring), and clear barriers for every scare in the houses.

But if you do that, it’s not a haunted house anymore. It’s a zoo.

The only feasible modifications are strictly stage performers in the streets (so no one on the ground scaring), and clear barriers for every scare in the houses.

But if you do that, it’s not a haunted house anymore. It’s a zoo.
I'm thinking, capacity slashed dramatically, reserved times for each house, one party at a time pulses with houses also open during the day.

Even in California, I think HHN still has a chance at going on. There’s a lot of time between now and September. As I said before, I really doubt Newsom will go through on this strict plan, even Garcetti. LA Times just posted an article that Garcetti thinks social distancing will likely go on until next year.

With people pushing back against these extended orders across the country, several people I know with renewed optimism that this will end soon, good luck to Newsom and Garcetti trying to go through with this. Most people I know aren’t going to put up with this much longer. Heck, I went outside for a walk today and hardly anyone was wearing a mask.

If this reopening doesn’t seem to have any major consequences country-wide and California is still trying to go really slow on this, you better believe there’s going to be some resistance.

Reactions: fryoj
I'm thinking, capacity slashed dramatically, reserved times for each house, one party at a time pulses with houses also open during the day.
Couple of issues with those solutions. None of those things address concerns about proximity, where performers are inches from guests. Reserve times still result in queues, unless you structure it like most local haunts where a party of 8-10 goes in every five minutes (with hold points in the queues). Opening the houses during the day requires doubling the casts for every house (feasible if you remove streets). You can’t ask scareactors to do what they do for 12-16 hours a day. You’d grind them to a pulp by week 2.

Sorry, no disrespect meant by it, but I understand.
I would love to see UC and WDI working together in order to recover.

To actually ground this in entertainment (and the rest of this discussion can surely carry on in the general thread), I doubt the theme parks would survive if they were forced to remain closed for 18 months.
But couldn’t they be bailed out?

I don't think there should be a debate. Until there's at least a vaccine, concert/sports/theme parks should not be happening. They will, because most people are ignorant rubes, but they shouldn't.
The problem is that some people only care about “The Almighty Dollar” and little to nothing else.

I was gonna see the Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer stadium tour in July. Guess I can kiss that goodbye.
ALSO SAME!!!! Literally guys, my summer was going to be Foo Fighters, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Weezer, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, then MCR. With the latter 2 being my 2 favorites of all time and two I've never seen.

I am utterly devastated. Literally got my tickets for the Green Day show almost a year out. NOPE.

I'm old but my Summer was going to be Dead & Company, Phish, and Roger Waters. Now I have to figure out someplace else to melt my mind.

Disney has to be getting very concerned about a hostile take over. Disney would be quite the jewel in Amazon's Infinity Gauntlet.

It would be crazy to do HHN with restrictions. It only takes one person to contract the virus within the cast to shut down everything. Right now it’s the unknown. Nothing like this has happened before. State might be able to do screenings prior to entering the park but that can only do so much because people can have it and not show signs. Until a test is wildly available which hopefully is soon, I expect the parks to be closed through summer and into the fall and I wouldn’t expect universal to be spending money on HHN I’m sure that money is now being used to pay employees who are out of work and cover cost of other things

Status
Not open for further replies.