Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks. Who did you book through? I’m expecting to have to go through the same thing, free dining was the reason I booked at the price.
Virgin Holidays. The choice was rebook for free + 4000 air-miles (worth £75) or cancel for full refund (but might take 90 days to process). The lady put the blame firmly in Disney's camp for not honouring existing bookings longer than until the end of the year. If you want to keep the free dining you have to rebook for this year.

I wonder if Disney still plan on introducing 3 new cruise ships.
Here's a recent article about the shipyard that is building them:

They're already halfway built. Don't doubt the cruise industry. It may seem weak right now, but people love cruising. It'll pick itself back up and be fine over time.

Only the first ship has started construction, and even it isn't very far into the process yet.

I feel like once you start bringing in machines to do mass temperature taking, it’s probably here to stay.

Probably a good time to remember about this and everything else proposed that just because Iger casually mentioned it's happening in Asia or UOR asked about it in a survey doesn't mean it's cleared the gauntlet of the Legal and Public Relations departments. Medical-related information increases difficulty by a factor of 10, and there's always the ADA to worry about. Never say never about anything but I think at the very least this would require some emergency federal legislation to implement.

Other than cheaper housing, I think OTown or Florida's prospect as a place to move to will be very poor for the next few years. After the great recession Florida actually went reverse in migration. Normally about 1k a day in and there was that much going the other way at the peak time with very few coming in.

Much of Orlando depends on the Convention Center. And corporate America is likely to be far slower-moving about returning to big gatherings in O-Town than families. Both for fear of legal repercussions -- remember events were cancelled weeks before the parks finally closed -- and because a lot of companies aren't going to have the cash on hand to send employees on a 4-day working vacation. The parks re-opening will stem the bleeding a little, but until OCCC full-throttle the economy won't fully recover.

I wonder if Disney still plan on introducing 3 new cruise ships.

I think DCL survives this, even bounces back fairly quickly next year. They are the gold standard of family vacation, where the parks were in the 80s.

I think the main Carnival brand survives just because there will always be a market for dirt cheap booze cruises that already were perceived as having kind of a grimy edge. (E.g. Senor Frogs.)

It's all the brands in the middle I'm not so sure come back. Watching YouTube videos, the big three claim to have enough money to last 6 months. I'm an optimist and I don't think they sail before 2021. And no government bailouts are coming to companies that deliberately avoid paying US taxes and hiring US workers.

Virgin Holidays. The choice was rebook for free + 4000 air-miles (worth £75) or cancel for full refund (but might take 90 days to process). The lady put the blame firmly in Disney's camp for not honouring existing bookings longer than until the end of the year. If you want to keep the free dining you have to rebook for this year.

Thinking about it... I wouldn’t be surprised if far greater deals than what you had will be offered in the fall/winter of this year.

And no government bailouts are coming to companies that deliberately avoid paying US taxes and hiring US workers.
They'll absolutely get a bail out - on the condition that they register in the US and hire US workers. DC politicians aren't hard to work with. They just want what is perceived to be a "win" for them.

The cruise lines absolutely don't want to do that, but some may not have a choice if they want to stay alive.

That seems almost bizarre, asking for air miles in a situation like that. Like @Teebin said, there's probably going to be some great deals for later and I imagine Disney will be going all out to get as many bookings as possible. Expect more free dining and you might have some new rides to look forward to.

If we have to rebook, I'm planning on going in September with my wife's family and it could be easier to just merge the trips together. Luckily, our parents all great but the thought of trying to coordinate a trip for 15 people, yeesh.

They're already halfway built. Don't doubt the cruise industry. It may seem weak right now, but people love cruising. It'll pick itself back up and be fine over time.

There's no chance that they're half built just now. Looking at the previous build history, it seems to take about 2 years for the full build and the first ship is expected to set sail on January 2022.

Here's a recent article about the shipyard that is building them:

Only the first ship has started construction, and even it isn't very far into the process yet.

I never even thought about the new market for second half cruise ships that would cut into their sales. On the same hand, if other cruise companies are out the game, Disney could take a bigger share of the market.

That seems almost bizarre, asking for air miles in a situation like that. Like @Teebin said, there's probably going to be some great deals for later and I imagine Disney will be going all out to get as many bookings as possible. Expect more free dining and you might have some new rides to look forward to.

If we have to rebook, I'm planning on going in September with my wife's family and it could be easier to just merge the trips together. Luckily, our parents all great but the thought of trying to coordinate a trip for 15 people, yeesh.

No, it was 4000 free airmiles as compensation. Sorry! :)

We are just more complicated by schools as well. Our little one starts reception in September so this was going to be the big blowout holiday otherwise we either pay more to go in school time or face a £600 fine for taking her out of school on top of things. But yes, I'm sure there will be better offers later.

The more people for any trip is a pain in the bum. I feel for you. I dread to think getting fastpasses and restaurants for that many people! :surprised:

Reactions: Scott W.
No, it was 4000 free airmiles as compensation. Sorry! :)

We are just more complicated by schools as well. Our little one starts reception in September so this was going to be the big blowout holiday otherwise we either pay more to go in school time or face a £600 fine for taking her out of school on top of things. But yes, I'm sure there will be better offers later.

The more people for any trip is a pain in the bum. I feel for you. I dread to think getting fastpasses and restaurants for that many people! :surprised:

That’s equally as bizarre.

That’s the big problem that I’m thinking about if we go to rebook. Half the people going can go any time but we’re going to have to work around a tight schedule with everybody else and one of them is in school. Without knowing when the schools are going back or how they’re going to make up for lost time, you can’t confidently book anything. On top of that, my wife’s sister was meant to be getting married later this year but as of now, it’s postponed so that’s another date to work around.

Reactions: randompixel
Sidetrack: Does reception mean graduation? Too, do US schools fine families for taking kids out of school for vacation?

Reception = Kindergarten or first year of elementary/primary school, to my knowledge.

I've never heard of any US Schools fining families for pulling their kids out to take a vacation. Most teachers that I know actually don't mind it as long as the student is in good standing/the family coordinates a plan to makeup the work.

With Disney, one of my concerns is them removing fireworks, shows, parades, entertainment, etc, under the guise of preventing crowding. Then either never bringing them back or waiting till long after needed to bring them back as a cost saving measure. They've got a history of doing that when not needed, so I fear it'll be worse when they have an actual reason.

Wish, the first one of the three, appears to just have started to get lower hull blocks delivered 1 month ago.

They'll absolutely get a bail out - on the condition that they register in the US and hire US workers. DC politicians aren't hard to work with. They just want what is perceived to be a "win" for them.

The cruise lines absolutely don't want to do that, but some may not have a choice if they want to stay alive.

IDK, that's a LOT of money it would cost them. I'd be interested to see what paying US taxes and complying with US labor laws would actually cost them, but I would be shocked if it wasn't billions. Under normal circumstances, they could just past that on to customers, but it's going to be a buyers market. DCL is already massively overpriced in the market, so a price increase any time in the next few years would bite them in the ass.

I think a more likely scenario for DCL will be to funnel its "bailout" through the other Disney corporations somehow, so it's not a direct DCL bailout. Now the other lines, don't have that as an option.

Sidetrack: Does reception mean graduation? Too, do US schools fine families for taking kids out of school for vacation?

No such thing as fines, but they like to stamp their feet and make threats about truancy and making them retake grades. Locally, students are allowed 10 days off for "alternate education" without penalty. But as long as they are doing the work, not too much is going to be done about a vacation.

With Disney, one of my concerns is them removing fireworks, shows, parades, entertainment, etc, under the guise of preventing crowding. Then either never bringing them back or waiting till long after needed to bring them back as a cost saving measure. They've got a history of doing that when not needed, so I fear it'll be worse when they have an actual reason.

Wish, the first one of the three, appears to just have started to get lower hull blocks delivered 1 month ago.

IDK, that's a LOT of money it would cost them. I'd be interested to see what paying US taxes and complying with US labor laws would actually cost them, but I would be shocked if it wasn't billions. Under normal circumstances, they could just past that on to customers, but it's going to be a buyers market. DCL is already massively overpriced in the market, so a price increase any time in the next few years would bite them in the ass.

I think a more likely scenario for DCL will be to funnel its "bailout" through the other Disney corporations somehow, so it's not a direct DCL bailout. Now the other lines, don't have that as an option.

No such thing as fines, but they like to stamp their feet and make threats about truancy and making them retake grades. Locally, students are allowed 10 days off for "alternate education" without penalty. But as long as they are doing the work, not too much is going to be done about a vacation.

If they’re going to remove fireworks, parades and meet and greets, I don’t see any way that they can charge full price for a ticket. They might need to go down the route of only allowing AP holders in at the start but with restrictions on food and probably how many people can enter a shop, they’ll probably lose money without the extra sales.

If they’re going to remove fireworks, parades and meet and greets, I don’t see any way that they can charge full price for a ticket. They might need to go down the route of only allowing AP holders in at the start but with restrictions on food and probably how many people can enter a shop, they’ll probably lose money without the extra sales.

They charge more now than they did when they ran night parades. While I agree, they should charge less, I'm a cynic, so.....

I can't see the AP only deal. They make too much money on out of town tourists between hotels and tickets. AP holders are more likely to be driving to the park and not spending as much money. They need the tourists to open the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.