Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 92 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...t
A supper spreader is not really all that possible to stop. It's impossible to keep tabs on everyone who walks into the park while they're in and say you have a day with 10,000 people in the park, which is probably being generous at the start of operations. If even 1% of those are going around undetected willy nilly mask on and mask off, then you have about 100 people or so acting as super spreaders (and the people who don't properly use a mask are just as dangerous - it could get on their hands, they touch a railing, then who knows how many others get it, etc). And don't think all TMs are going to be super hygenic. Sure, on stage they'll be required to, but backstage? Backstage is when they'll want to rip that mask right off. I could easily see the virus running through TMs pretty fast.
Yes, I agree with that...... and, as I've previously said, I'm surprised there weren't more cases & deaths coming out out Florida, with those thousands of people shoulder to shoulder at DHS entrance every day, many of them tourists from Europe, when the CV was probably spreading like wildfire during early to mid March. That's a real puzzle. For all intents and purposes, central Florida should have been crazy with infestations. The only thing I've thought could have retarded it was the higher heat and humidity, way higher than in the north.

Reactions: tankart150
...t

Yes, I agree with that...... and, as I've previously said, I'm surprised there weren't more cases & deaths coming out out Florida, with those thousands of people shoulder to shoulder at DHS entrance every day, many of them tourists from Europe, when the CV was probably spreading like wildfire during early to mid March. That's a real puzzle. For all intents and purposes, central Florida should have been crazy with infestations. The only thing I've thought could have retarded it was the higher heat and humidity, way higher than in the north.
New Orleans got hit hard though from all the people there for Mardi Gras though. It just doesn't add up.

You do have to remember it didn't get consistently warm in FL until March came around. Almost as soon as the parks closed, the warmer weather came in. It was very cold many of those mornings people were out there waiting for RotR.

I wonder if Disney has run the numbers and it would be proftable to open in the summer and then have to reclose in the fall, If (kinda when with how stupid so many seem to be in the US)

New Orleans got hit hard though from all the people there for Mardi Gras though. It just doesn't add up.

You do have to remember it didn't get consistently warm in FL until March came around. Almost as soon as the parks closed, the warmer weather came in. It was very cold many of those mornings people were out there waiting for RotR.

How many people were from out of state, though? I know where I'm from the locals tend to avoid our theme and water parks over Spring Break because tourists come through and overcrowd everything. If a lot of out of state people came in you'd be looking at a lot of exported cases that are not necessarily tied to the parks.

How many people were from out of state, though? I know where I'm from the locals tend to avoid our theme and water parks over Spring Break because tourists come through and overcrowd everything. If a lot of out of state people came in you'd be looking at a lot of exported cases that are not necessarily tied to the parks.

No way to really tell, but the parks closed before the Spring Break crowds came.

You have to remember a lot of locals were at Disney at the very least right before they closed as MMRR opened on March 4th. There was also the short lived #BourneWatch just days before the parks closed.

Yes, such a puzzle that Central Florida didn't get over run, especially looking at the influx of visitors at the parks from just about 'everywhere'. That would make an interesting 'study'.....On the temperatures...Fauci had said in an interview back in March, when he postulated that he thought there was a good possibility that temperatures and humidity might play a role in downgrading the virus, he used 68 degrees F as the point that downgrading would begin if CV ended up reacting like previous virus' had.

Last edited:
(The parks are going to open, probably sooner than many in this thread want them to, there will be precautions, not everyone will follow them, infections will spike throughout the country as things reopen [inevitable], some may come from the parks)

(The parks are going to open, probably sooner than many in this thread want them to, there will be precautions, not everyone will follow them, infections will spike throughout the country as things reopen [inevitable], some may come from the parks)
obviously.gif

I mean, we keep talking around the point that people won't follow the rules and infections will spike in the parks as a result. That's a given - impossible to enforce 100% compliance. It won't keep the parks from opening. It might keep an individual from deciding to visit (clearly some people here, and hey, power to you), but we shouldn't pretend the parks won't open as a result. If those were the parameters, literally no business anywhere could responsibly open.

I mean, we keep talking around the point that people won't follow the rules and infections will spike in the parks as a result. That's a given - impossible to enforce 100% compliance. It won't keep the parks from opening. It might keep an individual from deciding to visit (clearly some people here, and hey, power to you), but we shouldn't pretend the parks won't open as a result. If those were the parameters, literally no business anywhere could responsibly open.
Oh I have no delusions on whether they'll open.

The issue becomes can they stay open if people (especially workers) start getting sick in droves after they do.

Reactions: tankart150 and Nick
That would be an interesting worker's comp case
Per OSHA:
OSHA.gov said:
Under OSHA’s recordkeeping requirements, COVID-19 is a recordable illness, and employers are responsible for recording cases of COVID-19, if: (1) the case is a confirmed case of COVID-19, as defined by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC);[1] (2) the case is work-related as defined by 29 CFR § 1904.5;[2] and (3) the case involves one or more of the general recording criteria set forth in 29 CFR § 1904.7.[3] On March 11, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared COVID-19 a global pandemic, and the extent of transmission is a rapidly evolving issue.

Given that it's considered a recordable illness I'd be interested to see what a lawyer would do with lax return to work rules.

Whelp Georgia is next on the idiot train, out idiot governor* is looking to open salons, gyms, and other businesses on Friday and movie theaters and restaurants Monday. Atlanta is doomed. I thought somebody would have some sense here but no...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Virgin Holidays. The choice was rebook for free + 4000 air-miles (worth £75) or cancel for full refund (but might take 90 days to process). The lady put the blame firmly in Disney's camp for not honouring existing bookings longer than until the end of the year. If you want to keep the free dining you have to rebook for this year.

Sorry about this. We’re in the same position, due to go early May and expecting the call from Virgin any day now. Is there any room to negotiate with them on the phone? I want to rebook, but that incentive doesn’t outweigh the risks.

The 4,000 air miles incentive is absolute rubbish, but I will say that Virgin are currently quite expensive anyway. Their prices do fluctuate but they’re at a high point at the moment (I have a few hotels where I know their base level, like the Rosen Inn on I-drive and it’s currently 30% more expensive than usual). I priced the same holiday at the art of animation up for next year and it’s £800 a person cheaper on Tui. I’d always prefer to go Virgin, but not at £800 a person extra.

Sorry about this. We’re in the same position, due to go early May and expecting the call from Virgin any day now. Is there any room to negotiate with them on the phone? I want to rebook, but that incentive doesn’t outweigh the risks.

The 4,000 air miles incentive is absolute rubbish, but I will say that Virgin are currently quite expensive anyway. Their prices do fluctuate but they’re at a high point at the moment (I have a few hotels where I know their base level, like the Rosen Inn on I-drive and it’s currently 30% more expensive than usual). I priced the same holiday at the art of animation up for next year and it’s £800 a person cheaper on Tui. I’d always prefer to go Virgin, but not at £800 a person extra.

Virgin Holidays are just weird. I've booked flights direct with Virgin and Cabana Bay with Virgin Holidays (because the benefits of free parking, late check out etc work out cheaper) together and it's been about £1000 cheaper than buying it as a package.

Don't forget, if you're a flying club member, you can get a 7% discount if you put in your membership number.

Josh D’amaro got on there. No one representing Universal though.

EDIT: Oops, there was an add separating the people on the list on mobile. I see UOR rep now.

Status
Not open for further replies.