Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 93 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they're talking about opening up 'in stages'. That's a positive, since if there's CV issues, they can always pause or backtrack a bit. Florida's in a predicament since it's mostly tourism or bust for many areas of the state........................But, just to represent the other side's point. There's no physician on the panel. Since the State surgeon general said all the wrong stuff last week, they probably don't want him anywhere near the group. Maybe they can get 'Doc' from the 7 Dwarfs. Josh could pull strings. Equal opportunity and balance. ;)

Last edited:
So since the parks are going to open up sooner then they should....how will APs be handled? Will you have to call to put it on hold and once you go next the rest of your days/months start from that date?

I know Knotts is going away the rest of the year for free but doubt Universal will go that far

Reactions: tankart150
So since the parks are going to open up sooner then they should....how will APs be handled? Will you have to call to put it on hold and once you go next the rest of your days/months start from that date?

I know Knotts is going away the rest of the year for free but doubt Universal will go that far
It's very likely that the 365 day clock will start as soon as they are open again.

If you don't want to use the pass you purchased during that initial time, that's your problem, not Universal's/Disney's/Seaworld's.

Virgin Holidays are just weird. I've booked flights direct with Virgin and Cabana Bay with Virgin Holidays (because the benefits of free parking, late check out etc work out cheaper) together and it's been about £1000 cheaper than buying it as a package.

Don't forget, if you're a flying club member, you can get a 7% discount if you put in your membership number.

To be honest I didn’t even know the hotel only was an option on Virgin Holidays - I’ll have to look at that a lot closer. But yeah I agree they’re weird. When they run sales, it’s rarely a sale. Even the broad 10% off everything sale, as their prices fluctuate massively, the ‘sale’ rarely hits when prices are lower. Never walked away thinking I’ve got a good sale price.

I do love Virgin Atlantic though, so I hope they survive this.

Other than cheaper housing, I think OTown or Florida's prospect as a place to move to will be very poor for the next few years. After the great recession Florida actually went reverse in migration. Normally about 1k a day in and there was that much going the other way at the peak time with very few coming in.
where do you suggest moving to?

I've worked some of the dirtiest jobs at theme parks, doing what basically comes out to being janitorial with a fancier name. I've also been in entertainment and how nasty that side is. I've always known theme parks were dirty as all hell because of the jobs i've had. But I was probably scared off of theme parks way earlier than anyone thought to be simply because of what I know is hiding around every corner germ-wise. When the virus was in China, I sort of didn't give it much thought. When it hit the West Coast, I started to pay attention. When the first case came to Florida, that was it for me. I knew the theme parks were a hot spot and they were probably crawling with untested positives. I wasn't going out like that :lol:

this is why i mostly avoid eating at the theme parks, even the fancy expensive ones, i dont wanna name specifics but i would rather not dine in on either park...
it always amuses me of the prices that some restaurants charge, knowing how messy things backstage can be...

the reason we can’t just reopen things without enforced precautions is because people are idiots. Was at Walmart yesterday and a guy was pushing a cart eating chips and salsa out of it. Even in a non pandemic that’s stupid, but this moron is doing it during one and touching everything on the shelf.

i said this before, but everytime i go to walmart or publix, at least 70% of people shopping dont have a mask, and they look at you weird or laugh for wearing one, like if you were an alien or something.
and none of the workers at publix, walmart, mcdonalds or taco bell, dominos, subway etc wear masks or anything. they see hundreds of costumers but no masks used. people dont really care.

...t

Yes, I agree with that...... and, as I've previously said, I'm surprised there weren't more cases & deaths coming out out Florida, with those thousands of people shoulder to shoulder at DHS entrance every day, many of them tourists from Europe, when the CV was probably spreading like wildfire during early to mid March. That's a real puzzle. For all intents and purposes, central Florida should have been crazy with infestations. The only thing I've thought could have retarded it was the higher heat and humidity, way higher than in the north.
depends on the crowd? new orleans got hit hard because it is an adult party environment where people dance and touch? (stay in clubs for a long period of time? breathing the same air) the parks had families that were constantly moving from ride to ride?

where do you suggest moving to?

this is why i mostly avoid eating at the theme parks, even the fancy expensive ones, i dont wanna name specifics but i would rather not dine in on either park...
it always amuses me of the prices that some restaurants charge, knowing how messy things backstage can be...

i said this before, but everytime i go to walmart or publix, at least 70% of people shopping dont have a mask, and they look at you weird or laugh for wearing one, like if you were an alien or something.
and none of the workers at publix, walmart, mcdonalds or taco bell, dominos, subway etc wear masks or anything. they see hundreds of costumers but no masks used. people dont really care.

depends on the crowd? new orleans got hit hard because it is an adult party environment where people dance and touch? (stay in clubs for a long period of time? breathing the same air) the parks had families that were constantly moving from ride to ride?
Yes, I've experienced the same mask situation where I live also. Though now they've put a 'wear mask at all times in public' order this week, even though this area has been pretty low on deaths and hospitalizations to date. Of the small amount of deaths , 90% have been nursing home residents hospitalized or dying in nursing homes. That's where our main problem has been. The business chain nursing homes, which have a history of poor operating procedures/staffing shortages, have been where most of the fatalities came from....The reason I mentioned the DHS entrance, and not just the parks, is that they had a New Orleans crowd feel (sans alcohol), whereby people were herded into such close contact that it was impossible for people not to have physical contact. Many thousands jammed together every morning for an hour or two before the turnstiles opened, every single day during Jan/Feb to mid March.

Yes, I've experienced the same mask situation where I live also. Though now they've put a 'wear mask at all times in public' order this week, even though this area has been pretty low on deaths and hospitalizations to date. Of the small amount of deaths , 90% have been nursing home residents hospitalized or dying in nursing homes. That's where our main problem has been. The business chain nursing homes, which have a history of poor operating procedures/staffing shortages, have been where most of the fatalities came from....The reason I mentioned the DHS entrance, and not just the parks, is that they had a New Orleans crowd feel (sans alcohol), whereby people were herded into such close contact that it was impossible for people not to have physical contact. Many thousands jammed together every morning for an hour or two before the turnstiles opened, every single day during Jan/Feb to mid March.

the WHO really screwed up and put everyone in danger when they lied about the masks or about the virus not transmitting from person to person , Disney and universal could require the wearing of masks, but many people will say that the news told them not to wear anything 4 weeks ago....
(sorry Disney, i Do NOT need a mask because people on tv said masks offer Zero protection!)

the WHO really screwed up and put everyone in danger when they lied about the masks or about the virus not transmitting from person to person , Disney and universal could require the wearing of masks, but many people will say that the news told them not to wear anything 4 weeks ago....
(sorry Disney, i Do NOT need a mask because people on tv said masks offer Zero protection!)
One of the major early problems is that the WHO, governments, & other disease experts based their evaluations on China's disease time line, infection and death statements. But China was lying, like they do just about everything. Even their economic releases are generally met with skepticism by world economists. I'm just constantly amazed that these people took China's statements at face value instead of being skeptic. That was the root of the early poor responses by nearly every government in the world, not just the US. Damn, no one should ever believe totalitarian government info releases without being wary and skeptical of the information.

I suggest not moving to a place where you hope to pursue a career in the hospitality field when the hospitality industry in that area is in steep decline for the near future, maybe in a couple of years but not in the near term.

After the fall comes the rise and not to sound cruel, if some of the businesses in the area are going to collapse, it could be a mini gold rush when demand exceeds supply.

One of the major early problems is that the WHO, governments, & other disease experts based their evaluations on China's disease time line, infection and death statements. But China was lying, like they do just about everything. Even their economic releases are generally met with skepticism by world economists. I'm just constantly amazed that these people took China's statements at face value instead of being skeptic. That was the root of the early poor responses by nearly every government in the world, not just the US. Damn, no one should ever believe totalitarian government info releases without being wary and skeptical of the information.
Let's not pretend the US was any more truthful.

While he shouldn't have been out, this is still hilarious to me and in a way shows how empty public spaces are that someone like Tom Brady felt comfortable enough not to be mauled by fans that he just go and workout at a random city park instead of at his new Tampa home (Derek Jeter's old house - largest house in Tampa).

Surprised the "Secure Circuit" protocol announced last week on Magic hasn't gotten more play here or on Twitter. The original poster -- WDWPro -- is more recent than my days as a regular there, but Visionary Soul basically backed up what he said, and Marni said same skeleton as what he's heard. So I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

In a nutshell, MK, DHS and DAK at limited capacity, no outdoor shows/parades, no indoor theaters. No meet & greets. Only MK resorts. No monorail. No EPCOT, no water parks. Health checks at Security, extra waivers (the most obvious thing to me but first source to mention it). This would all be "Phase 1." Prior to posting he suggested August for re-opening, but I don't know if that supersedes that.

Seems like potential real on-topic news rather than rehashing the same arguments in this tread.

Surprised the "Secure Circuit" protocol announced last week on Magic hasn't gotten more play here or on Twitter. The original poster -- WDWPro -- is more recent than my days as a regular there, but Visionary Soul basically backed up what he said, and Marni said same skeleton as what he's heard. So I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

In a nutshell, MK, DHS and DAK at limited capacity, no outdoor shows/parades, no indoor theaters. No meet & greets. Only MK resorts. No monorail. No EPCOT, no water parks. Health checks at Security, extra waivers (the most obvious thing to me but first source to mention it). This would all be "Phase 1." Prior to posting he suggested August for re-opening, but I don't know if that supersedes that.

Seems like potential real on-topic news rather than rehashing the same arguments in this tread.

Interesting, how long do you think that would last because I’m thinking about postponing my trip until next year?

Shanghai DL is allegedly doing shows, but seating people every other row and spacing them out in those rows. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens in Orlando as well. Epcot not reopening seems like a no brainer with no one to staff WS.
Interesting, how long do you think that would last because I’m thinking about postponing my trip until next year?

I think everything is going to be a wait and see scenario for a good long while.

It kind of passes the 'makes a lot of sense' standard.....My own feelings, as I've said before, are that there's no way i would spend the big money for an Orlando vacation until the park operations get, at the very least ,'close to normal' operations. I'm thinking mid to late spring 2021 for me, but I don't usually go in the winter (just once), so that's an automatic no even if is close to normal by then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.