Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 88 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the crazy side effects from this because Disney stopped construction is that I can almost guarantee with Tron or Guardians gets pushed to 2022 at this rate... both were announced in 2017.

Even Ratatouille, which is mostly ready, won’t be opening until likely Fall at the earliest. Bourne likely doesn’t open right away too as I’ve said since they’ll need to rehearse again. Plus it’s an expensive show to run, so does it even make sense to open it right now?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Even with a vaccine, this has changed the world forever.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's not worth the money nor the risk.
'changed the world forever', Yes, I'd guess globalization, especially, and ease of international travel will be greatly restrained. Globalization was already being challenged, since it has been bad for so many in the USA middle class and working class. CV may well bring many of those lost jobs back to North America from Asia. I think the Florida parks are going to lose a lot of the international visitors, due to both travel restrictions & world economic issues, for a few years minimum.

'changed the world forever', Yes, I'd guess globalization, especially, and ease of international travel will be greatly restrained. Globalization was already being challenged, since it has been bad for so many in the USA middle class and working class. CV may well bring many of those lost jobs back to North America from Asia. I think the Florida parks are going to lose a lot of the international visitors, due to both travel restrictions & world economic issues, for a few years minimum.
I think there will a lot of changes to how we live their lives.

I will be surprised if any of this is part of that.

Reactions: RevFreako
I don't think that COVID will bring as much of a change as 9/11 did. Any of the new measure being brought in will be temporary, although it could be a year or more before it returns back to 'normal'.
I think it will change more things permanently. What really changed after 9/11, aside from entry procedures?

Reactions: Robert Bliss
One of the crazy side effects from this because Disney stopped construction is that I can almost guarantee with Tron or Guardians gets pushed to 2022 at this rate... both were announced in 2017.

Even Ratatouille, which is mostly ready, won’t be opening until likely Fall at the earliest. Bourne likely doesn’t open right away too as I’ve said since they’ll need to rehearse again. Plus it’s an expensive show to run, so does it even make sense to open it right now?
Disney always errs on the side of stopping everything they can when things get bad. Plus with how much this virus impacts them nearly in every operating segment they have, it is going to be a very slow move out back to what they were doing. I'd be surprised that the Star Wars hotel opens up in the next 2 years. One report I read said they're losing $30 million/day due to the parks being closed, not lost revenue but cash out the door. That's gotta be killing the bean counters out there.

Disney always errs on the side of stopping everything they can when things get bad. Plus with how much this virus impacts them nearly in every operating segment they have, it is going to be a very slow move out back to what they were doing. I'd be surprised that the Star Wars hotel opens up in the next 2 years. One report I read said they're losing $30 million/day due to the parks being closed, not lost revenue but cash out the door. That's gotta be killing the bean counters out there.
Well yeah, Disney honestly couldn’t really afford to continue construction due to the massive impact this has had on the entire company.

Reactions: HereWeGo
We can't expect social distancing to continue after the virus is under control nor would I expect temperature checks to continue either.
Temperature checks are a simple process, basically like going through a metal detector that is meant to pick up your temperature. People will get used to it and it will become normal.

Temperature checks are a simple process, basically like going through a metal detector that is meant to pick up your temperature. People will get used to it and it will become normal.

What if you have a fever for something that isn't contagious? You're not allowed into the park?

Well yeah, Disney honestly couldn’t really afford to continue construction due to the massive impact this has had on the entire company.

Yeah this is why I didn't understand people on here that were harping on Disney for stopping construction. They literally had no choice. They have almost no income right now, unlike Universal/Comcast who at least has a decent amount of money coming in from their internet services.

Yeah this is why I didn't understand people on here that were harping on Disney for stopping construction. They literally had no choice. They have almost no income right now, unlike Universal/Comcast who at least has a decent amount of money coming in from their internet services.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney got themselves in the internet game fairly soon. They already are technically a cable provider with Hulu + Live TV.

I can see them offering a full package option of Hulu + Live TV + Internet. It would give Disney a safer, none entertainment reliant revenue stream.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney got themselves in the internet game fairly soon. They already are technically a cable provider with Hulu + Live TV.

I can see them offering a full package option of Hulu + Live TV + Internet. It would give Disney a safer, none entertainment reliant revenue stream.

I don’t think it’s that easy to just into the Internet game.

I went ahead and booked my FP+ because why not. You know what really grinds my gears? I can't book Big Thunder Mountain. Every other ride in the park was available for selection so it's full for the day. There was maintenance planned for the middle of May which I'm assuming has now been put back to when the parks open.

Why aren't Disney using this time to fix their rides?

Edit: It now seems to be coming up. Weird.
I'm looking at hotel rooms for June...Gotta spend that stimulus check somehow

Speaking of the process. Universal has implemented the metal detectors extremely well in my opinion

Therefore, I'm not terribly concerned for their implementation of whatever Covid test they choose.

I don’t think it’s that easy to just into the Internet game.
It isn’t. It takes a lot of physical infrastructure. I’m of course not saying they can start something like this overnight.

Obviously there would have to be a lot of thought put into if it’s worth it and then a slow roll out if they went with it. However, it’s a very lucrative business to be in right now and many places are stuck with only one or two maximum choices.

Reactions: RevFreako
It isn’t. It takes a lot of physical infrastructure. I’m of course not saying they can start something like this overnight.

Obviously there would have to be a lot of thought put into if it’s worth it and then a slow roll out if they went with it. However, it’s a very lucrative business to be in right now and many places are stuck with only one or two maximum choices.

Of course, I believe Google was trying to start a service through satellite. If that can work, it’s a game changer.

LOL, if it ever happened, you know they would call it Disneynet Broadband.

I dunno. I think they probably had visions of that, but with how strapped for cash they are after the double whammy of the Fox deal and now this, if it does happen I don’t see it for a loooong time

Status
Not open for further replies.