Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s not forget the reason we were supposed to be doing these lockdowns in the first place: to “bend the curve” and not overwhelm the healthcare system. Now that the numbers have gone down during this, it seems like the goalpost has been shifted to “let’s bring it to ZERO!” in order did that to take place, we would basically be in a great-depression level scenario, if not worse.

People are already at their breaking point. Virus or not, people are getting restless.
Yep, there isn't really a clear reason to continuing the lockdown indefinitely

It would be one thing if people were still receiving a paycheck and allowed to go to work

People may not want to return to theme parks, but I imagine they don't like visiting food banks

Reactions: Andysol and Clive
AMC is getting some short term relief:

It would be one thing if people were still receiving a paycheck and allowed to go to work

People may not want to return to theme parks, but I imagine they don't like visiting food banks
Entertainment & Tourism thread. You can take this discussion over to the COVID General Discussion thread if you wish to continue.

Last edited:

Some people are. While I agree we need some work around for mom and pop shops, like being able to call/order online and pick up. Theme Parks are literally about people gathering and touching the same thing

Gloves will work but you'd need to also keep providing gloves if they break...because kids will play with theirs and break them and tears will happen a lot to on accident. To me live events and theme parks just are very hard to pull off and while it sucks people are going to lose jobs, stupid people who would go to these parks and get sick and spread the virus is just as bad.

I hope after all this Companies take their own advice and have more money put away for rainy days....we the people are told to have money put away and don't get bail outs if we don't save right but billion dollar companies don't have to follow the same basic economic advice?

I went ahead and booked my FP+ because why not. You know what really grinds my gears? I can't book Big Thunder Mountain. Every other ride in the park was available for selection so it's full for the day. There was maintenance planned for the middle of May which I'm assuming has now been put back to when the parks open.

Why aren't Disney using this time to fix their rides?

Edit: It now seems to be coming up. Weird.

Not to mention having to visit a Disney World that has social distancing guidelines and face mask requirements. I’ve been debating if I want to visit DLR or USH once they reopen, and I’d rather wait to see the parks again as I’ve always known them.

Not to mention having to visit a Disney World that has social distancing guidelines and face mask requirements. I’ve been debating if I want to visit DLR or USH once they reopen, and I’d rather wait to see the parks again as I’ve always known them.
I don’t think the parks will every fully go back to how they were pre-COVID. Just like how they were forever changed by 9/11.

Reactions: RevFreako
I don’t think the parks will every fully go back to how they were pre-COVID. Just like how they were forever changed by 9/11.

Probably. I do think there’s some silver lining here in regards to public health and safety. I won’t mind strict enforcement of “If your sick, stay at home” entry policies. Also, the parks will be much cleaner. My last trip to Disney World in November was flat out gross.

I don't think that COVID will bring as much of a change as 9/11 did. Any of the new measure being brought in will be temporary, although it could be a year or more before it returns back to 'normal'.

Reactions: Andysol and Clive
I don't think that COVID will bring as much of a change as 9/11 did. Any of the new measure being brought in will be temporary, although it could be a year or more before it returns back to 'normal'.
I feel like once you start bringing in machines to do mass temperature taking, it’s probably here to stay.

I feel like once you start bringing in machines to do mass temperature taking, it’s probably here to stay.
I think that will be a new security norm for sure forever. I think once things are “normal”, I think that we see stuff like meet and greets being able to return, parades, consistent showtimes for shows, etc. I think those may all stop for a year or two but when they can be brought back, they will be. Assuming the cash is there to provide that experience.

Reactions: Nick and Frogki
I've basically accepted the fact that Orlando parks will not be a spot I'd want to spend a ton of money on for a leisure, relaxing vacation, for the rest of spring/summer, and probably fall/winter. With probable scaled back operations and probable CV related changes it just doesn't seem to be something that's going to have much allure for 'most' potential tourists. Basically, my mindset is spring 2021, at this point in time. Though I doubt CV will be 'completely' eradicated by then, I'm guessing a combination of successful treatments and a probable vaccine, all of which are being fast tracked unencumbered by too many bureaucratic restraints, will allow society to return back to the old normal while accepting a 'minimum' of CV deaths, along the acceptable numbers of other regular reoccurring diseases, will still occur......That said, I'd guess they'll still get a percentage of previous tourism, but not anywhere near normal levels, and most of that will come from the neighboring states that have an easy drive to Orlando. And probably one wildcard to factor in the equation is the huge DVC membership that may want to ensure they get their money's worth out of their investment, and thus show up. I would think international tourism will be about nil for a while with significant quarantines probably restricting movement for the near future. ....Just my thoughts though. There's definitely no statistics, or comparisons (not even 9/11) to back up any 'opinions' at this point in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
Though I doubt CV will be 'completely' eradicated by then, I'm guessing a combination of successful treatments and a probable vaccine, all of which are being fast tracked unencumbered by too many bureaucratic restraints,
Even assuming we find a treatment or a vaccine that works without nasty side effects, the spring would be a miracle to have them ready by.

“Normal” will all depend on a vaccine, something we have no real idea when it will show up

Even with a vaccine, this has changed the world forever.

I've basically accepted the fact that Orlando parks will not be a spot I'd want to spend a ton of money on for a leisure, relaxing vacation, for the rest of summer, and probably fall/winter. With probable scaled back operations and probable CV related changes it just doesn't seem to be something that's going to have much allure for a tourist. Basically, my mindset is spring 2021, at this point in time. Though I doubt CV will be 'completely' eradicated by then, I'm guessing a combination of successful treatments and a probable vaccine, all of which are being fast tracked unencumbered by too many bureaucratic restraints, will allow society to return back to the old normal while accepting 'minimum' of CV deaths, along the acceptable numbers of other regular diseases, will still occur.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's not worth the money nor the risk.

While I've even seriously thought about moving to Orlando, Im sadly not seeing myself until 2022 for either a move or vacation to Orlando. I need a vaccine out there before I feel comfortable going again, and I want the parks to be relatively the same. I never did meet and greets so that stuff won't affect me. The lack of showtimes and the forcible masks are what will turn me away. I love a good theme park show/I typically want a break from the sun and rides, so thats a valuable experience to me in a park. Everything is changing constantly though, so we will just have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.