Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 98 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t they currently have a no mask policy? That rule clearly needs to be changed to be no “Halloween” masks.

Yeah, I'm sure the point of his statement was regarding the no mask rule, both halloween and what I'm sure some people would wear other times. But his choice of words was telling, imo, about any chance of forcing guests to wear them.

I think worrying about too many guests showing up at the gates of either park the first couple months is like worrying how you'll pay the taxes on your Powerball winnings. I mean, it could happen, but far from likely.

But that means they can't reactivate that monthly AP revenue stream, which I'm convinced rivaled gym memberships in frequency of use for most guests even before virus fears. And it invites a social media firestorm when what remains of locals with money are going to be what sustains your park for at least 2 years, possibly until Epic Universe opens.

Also Cabana Bay closed with 4% occupancy. It won't be cost-effective to open the parks only for resort guests if occupancy remains anywhere near that low.

I think Disney will have a far bigger problem with too many guests showing up than Universal. Having a smaller fan base is kind of a blessing here. The first few days will be the worst as every blogger shows up desperate for content.

I think Disney will have a far bigger problem with too many guests showing up than Universal. Having a smaller fan base is kind of a blessing here. The first few days will be the worst as every blogger shows up desperate for content.
I've been wondering about the feasibility of the parks starting their reopening with a soft opening period for AP's on a reservation/lottery basis to help disperse the pent up demand and allow for a smoother restart of operations

Have 9 days booked at Portofino for 2nd week of June. Just hope Uni doesn"t change dates again. Thank God SWair makes it easy to rebook new flights. We have no issue with wearing masks and we always carried our own sanitizers.
Taking temps is no problem. Uni has been good in cancelling and rebooking (have had to do it twice so far.) Just hoping June opening sticks.

So, hard to get a grasp on outdoor transmission by it's very nature, but here's a hopefully good sign for the parks moving forward, especially if they try and limit indoor time as much as possible

I think is really common sense that this virus has little chance if outside, especially on a sunny day with even a slight breeze. An exhale will be 50' away and dispersed in a less than a second. Still, I wouldn't get in anyone's face for a discussion outside.

Let's say Universal reopens but with limited capacity. How do they decide who enters the parks and who does not? Onsite guests get priority over outside visitors? Any idea how they would handle this?
Anyone who shows up with Mickey Ears or a Goofy shirt is banned for life

Anyone with a pre-2004 HHN shirt is sent to the front

Everyone else can come in once the dust has settled

A glimpse into our future

Am I the only one who is super thrilled about having breathing room in a queue line now?

My only question is how do they deal with friend groups/families

To tide folks over until the parks reopen, Universal has added a "Universal at Home" playlist on Spotify.

Screenshot-20200423-132748-2.png

As far as theme parks go, it's no real loss, it was an awful park with terrible and painful coasters (the camera cuts out at 1:25 during the corkscrew, it was that bad. They later removed it)

and dangerous rides:

I feel sorry for the staff. On a personal note, I printed all the staff handbooks and that will be another chunk of business, I'll have lost.

Reactions: tankart150
Two analysts put out BUY recommendations for Disney stock today....That's a positive for Disney.
Glad I didn't sell I guess.... a lot of this depends on movies. If movies open this summer and there is demand, Mulan is one of the ONLY things out there. I'm naturally a worrier for the worst, but I still worry with Disney if all these closures last throughout the summer.

I could see the US "opening up" this summer but what I then fear is another close down of everything, which I do NOT think would help. Its all so tricky.

Glad I didn't sell I guess.... a lot of this depends on movies. If movies open this summer and there is demand, Mulan is one of the ONLY things out there. I'm naturally a worrier for the worst, but I still worry with Disney if all these closures last throughout the summer.

I could see the US "opening up" this summer but what I then fear is another close down of everything, which I do NOT think would help. Its all so tricky.
They said for the near future they expected it to trade in the $115 to $135 range......and CNBC just had a story that Florida is the slowest state on processing unemployment Claims. .........................CNBC: .247, 00 companies have declared bankruptcy in China since the CV hit....Supply chain will be realigned and more companies will re shore to the US said an analyst Chinese expert on the show. .

Last edited:
I think is really common sense that this virus has little chance if outside, especially on a sunny day with even a slight breeze. An exhale will be 50' away and dispersed in a less than a second. Still, I wouldn't get in anyone's face for a discussion outside.

Increased humidity outside would help too!

I still worry about walking around my neighborhood. I’m not in downtown Portland so it’s not City-life, more urban. My street isn’t necessarily “busy” but there are more people walking out than ever. Idk I just don’t fully trust it but that might be my own anxiety. Walking with a mask (while I fully beleive in the idea), is not relaxing to me.

Reactions: tankart150
Status
Not open for further replies.