Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're the type of person to visit as soon as they open, you likely don't care all that much. Also, with how few people are going to be in the parks anyway, you won't need it.

It's also possible that Universal only opens Hard Rock, Portofino and Royal Pacific, much like it's rumored Disney will only be opening the MK resorts at the beginning.
I would guess we'll at least get Cabana or Adventura open as well.

I would guess we'll at least get Cabana or Adventura open as well.
Possibly. Cabana was practically empty by the time the parks closed though and it's a large hotel, which means it also needs a lot of staff to run the hotel. I assume they'll make these decisions based on what the capacity is looking like with advanced bookings for the time when they are thinking of reopening.

Also remember that hotel prices are fluid. They can adjust rates to accommodate a lack of express should the service not be offered/necessary.

Anyway, very encouraging to see parks are adapting and preparing to reopen sometime in the summer.

Also remember that hotel prices are fluid. They can adjust rates to accommodate a lack of express should the service not be offered/necessary.

Anyway, very encouraging to see parks are adapting and preparing to reopen sometime in the summer.
It’s moments like this when Disney’s approach of publishing a rate calendar for the year and packaging/promoing their way back to what you actually pay looks like the Fred Flintstone-mobile of hotel operations.

This actually sounds really cool. Could be a cool way to justify certain themed elements as well, like an interactive panel hidden within a spy vehicle flipping around to face you.

EDIT: If these kinds of systems become standard practice, which I think they should, I wonder what that means for older rides with interactive elements? I can't imagine how Disney could ever retrofit Millenium Falcon Smuggler's Run without significant downtime. Maybe they could implement some sort of sanitary misting system, but that system would have to operate within the short window of time between unload and load.

This actually sounds really cool. Could be a cool way to justify certain themed elements as well, like an interactive panel hidden within a spy vehicle flipping around to face you.

EDIT: If these kinds of systems become standard practice, which I think they should, I wonder what that means for older rides with interactive elements? I can't imagine how Disney could ever retrofit Millenium Falcon Smuggler's Run without significant downtime. Maybe they could implement some sort of sanitary misting system, but that system would have to operate within the short window of time between unload and load.

That new space cabin smell.

That new space cabin smell.
Star Wars Fan:
"This smells too nice to be the Millennium Falcon,"

EDIT: Just my personal predictions for changes to Universal Parks overall (these are not necessarily changes to mitigate CV now such as social distancing but changes that will persist a decade from now as a result of CV)

1. Sanitation areas immediately after all rides. Using sanitizer following all rides is encouraged and becomes the new social norm. Maybe as a concession due to inability to properly sanitize legacy rides or coasters with over the shoulder restraints.

2. If possible, rides retrofitted with systems described in the patent and Alicia's article.

3. More 3D attractions see their 3D removed. It won't necessarily be because the current sanitation system doesn't work. But people may not feel that the glasses are safe to wear, so 3D might be removed if it's not deemed necessary for the attraction. Honestly, I think none of the current 3D attractions would be improved by losing 3D, with the possible exception of Fallon.

4. Fingerprint scanners either removed or sanitized frequently.

Last edited:
1. Sanitation areas immediately after all rides. Using sanitizer following all rides is encouraged and becomes the new social norm. Maybe as a concession due to inability to properly sanitize legacy rides or coasters with over the shoulder restraints.
I was at Universal on the last day of operation (I know, not smart retrospect), and they had already installed permanent, wall mounted sanitation stations after almost every ride. Far better than what Disney had in place near closure. I have to think all single ride lines will be shut of for the time being and on the Hogwarts Express, for instance, they very likely won't seat different families together.

3. More 3D attractions see their 3D removed. It won't necessarily be because the current sanitation system doesn't work. But people may not feel that the glasses are safe to wear, so 3D might be removed if it's not deemed necessary for the attraction. Honestly, I think none of the current 3D attractions would be improved by losing 3D, with the possible exception of Fallon.
Disney will finally have an excuse to get rid of MuppetVision. Oh well. :(

4. Fingerprint scanners either removed or sanitized frequently.
They were doing this or straight up not using the scanners near when the parks closed.

I was at Universal on the last day of operation (I know, not smart retrospect), and they had already installed permanent, wall mounted sanitation stations after almost every ride. Far better than what Disney had in place near closure. I have to think all single ride lines will be shut of for the time being and on the Hogwarts Express, for instance, they very likely won't seat different families together.

Disney will finally have an excuse to get rid of MuppetVision. Oh well. :(

They were doing this or straight up not using the scanners near when the parks closed.

It’s so much to do with that property and it’s sad that they won’t realize it

Reactions: tankart150

Really the only way I could think to retrofit MS is:
1- Let the line continue all the way into the chess room from the Pre-Show.
2- Put in One Family per Cockpit.
3- Load every other cockpit. At Load, when a cockpit is going out empty, during the time it would usually be loading, the loader Lysol’s the **** out of the seatbelts+controls.
4- The Lysol canon goes around empty, and then, upon return to load, gets one family loaded in.

3- Load every other cockpit. At Load, when a cockpit is going out empty, during the time it would usually be loading, the loader Lysol’s the **** out of the seatbelts+controls.
4- The Lysol canon goes around empty, and then, upon return to load, gets one family loaded in.
I'm confused - are you talking about Smuggler's or Mission Space? Mission Space is very problematic for a situation like this with how you practically breath on the screen and just how close you are to everything and everyone.

Reactions: tankart150
That sounds like a good compromise despite the reduction in capacity. The only issue would be if the loader has enough time to Lysol everything before the cockpits rotate. Hypothetically, he could just be the only passenger for that ride cycle, with all the screen and motion elements turned off, but obviously that would leave no one to load the guest.

Just out of curiosity, how long does it usually take to load Smuggler's Run?

Mission Space is very problematic for a situation like this with how you practically breath on the screen and just how close you are to everything and everyone.
Totally forgot about Mission Space. I don't think I'll ever go on that ride again...

...and it was already a ride I didn't want to go on again.

Reactions: awhen
Let's say Universal reopens but with limited capacity. How do they decide who enters the parks and who does not? Onsite guests get priority over outside visitors? Any idea how they would handle this?

I think worrying about too many guests showing up at the gates of either park the first couple months is like worrying how you'll pay the taxes on your Powerball winnings. I mean, it could happen, but far from likely.

My guess is onsite guests only for Disney and Uni for a while.

Want to come visit, locals? Book a hotel room.

But that means they can't reactivate that monthly AP revenue stream, which I'm convinced rivaled gym memberships in frequency of use for most guests even before virus fears. And it invites a social media firestorm when what remains of locals with money are going to be what sustains your park for at least 2 years, possibly until Epic Universe opens.

Also Cabana Bay closed with 4% occupancy. It won't be cost-effective to open the parks only for resort guests if occupancy remains anywhere near that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.