Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol at the mods deleting my comment about COVID-20. The discussion has diverged to other potential outbreaks and if we can even contain them. It’s not a matter of if, but when a new pandemic hits, whether it’s another strain of COVID or some other deadly disease. They’ll always exist, which is why I joked about the next one. Gotta laugh while you’re still alive, man.

Lol at the mods deleting my comment about COVID-20. The discussion has diverged to other potential outbreaks and if we can even contain them. It’s not a matter of if, but when a new pandemic hits, whether it’s another strain of COVID or some other deadly disease. They’ll always exist, which is why I joked about the next one. Gotta laugh while you’re still alive, man.

Pandemics happen, but a pandemic to this scale should only happen once a century at most.

Pandemics happen, but a pandemic to this scale should only happen once a century at most.

I think this is a fallacy. The chances of pandemics happening are completely random, thus there's no reason why one can come soon after the other (e.g. HIV/AIDS is a pandemic that's killed over 33 million people).

Before Covid, we were worried about Avian Flu. There's no reason we should stop being worried about Avian Flu.

I think this is a fallacy. The chances of pandemics happening are completely random, thus there's no reason why one can come soon after the other (e.g. HIV/AIDS is a pandemic that's killed over 33 million people).

Before Covid, we were worried about Avian Flu. There's no reason we should stop being worried about Avian Flu.

Why we must do what it takes to prevent these pathogens from becoming a pandemic after one became the greatest crisis since WW2.

This is the Covid-19 thread, not Covid-20, Covid-75, Covid-353354 etc., etc., etc. so let’s keep it to Covid-19.

Any issues, comments, concerns...

Ironically, I remember a few summers where theme parks had hand sanitizer everywhere and people were wearing masks out and about

I was teaching at the time and a third of the school was sick with it...Nuts

Either way, you just kind of prepare where you can. We are learning a lot through this so hopefully when the next bad flu strand, Covid strand, whatever strand comes around we are better prepared.

Should is the key word there. But nothing is guaranteed with an exponentially growing human population. There could easily be a new pandemic this winter, and ten more that follow.

Should is the key word there. But nothing is guaranteed with an exponentially growing human population. There could easily be a new pandemic this winter, and ten more that follow.

Why I laugh whenever people make a drop in the birth rate to be a bad thing. I believe 300K to 500K fewer births are expected as a result of COVID. People seriously need to have fewer kids, and for some reason people get offended by that statement.

Really, why would anyone make any new investment when the threat of a new pandemic could happen at any time?

Why I laugh whenever people make a drop in the birth rate to be a bad thing. I believe 300K to 500K fewer births are expected as a result of COVID. People seriously need to have fewer kids, and for some reason people get offended by that statement.

Really, why would anyone make any new investment when the threat of a new pandemic could happen at any time?

Out of the small group of people I’d consider to be my best friends, 3 of them are going to become dads soon.

They have not been social distancing and I expect a baby boom to happen early next year.

Out of the small group of people I’d consider to be my best friends, 3 of them are going to become dads soon.

They have not been social distancing and I expect a baby boom to happen early next year.
Funny you say this I have two friends who are also having kids within the next year...and know other friends who are trying.

Kinda insane to me to have a kid right now...but they are doing it

Most people don’t view children as an “investment.” It’s typically regarded as a biological and/or societal imperative. For many, children are more an inevitability than a choice.

Well, the babies would imply they haven’t practiced social distancing...

Most people don’t view children as an “investment.” It’s typically regarded as a biological and/or societal imperative. For many, children are more an inevitability than a choice.

I didn't clarify. My last sentence was more of a general economic sense: who the heck will be hiring and investing in new construction projects (cough Epic Universe) if we're under a new pandemic threat constantly?!

@Scott W. : As for having babies, solving so many of our current problems runs DIRECTLY in the face of human nature. A baby boom right now would be the exact opposite of what we need. Then again, you live in the UK where they actually take care of parents (paid maternity/sick leave/public healthcare)...

My last sentence was more of a general economic sense: who the heck will be hiring and investing in new construction projects (cough Epic Universe) if we're under a new pandemic threat constantly?!

People who aren't Simon Pegg's character from A Fantastic Fear of Everything?

Funny you say this I have two friends who are also having kids within the next year...and know other friends who are trying.

Kinda insane to me to have a kid right now...but they are doing it

I know for a fact that 2 of those pregnancies, they were not trying.

Yup, that's the joke. I've printed quite a few of these:
2_39.png

As much as I hate to say it, I think the US is heading into it's second wave like what's happened in Europe. The positive, if you can call it is that the US hasn't really ended it's first wave so I don't think it will be as bad as what we're seeing here.

Also: U.S. Reportedly Aims to Open U.K. Travel for Holiday Season

Hey, so some good news in general! Only 2,156 cases were recently confirmed in California on October 17th. Obviously, this is only people who tested positive, but in a population of 35 million that comes out to 0.00616 per 100 people.

Yeah this is the Effect on Entertainment industry thread. There are general Covid threads if you want to discuss the statics of the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.