Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

ESPN WWoS "Bubble" Usage

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
EDIT: This is a very unprecedented time and one in which it just happens in which our world of theme parks and sports are colliding. This thread is more or less to document the happenings, as it may be of interest to some of you who may not even be fans.

Both the NBA and Disney have publicly acknowledged now that they are in talks to use WWoS.

Last edited:
NBA looking at doing a World Cup style playoffs.

Must.... find way..... to get Zion....... into... playoffs....

In all seriousness though, the problem they’re going to run into is when one team sweeps in a round and the other side of the bracket goes seven games. What is normally a rest advantage is going to turn into a loooooong lockdown. This helps minimize those chances a bit.

The NBA to play 8 more regular season games and then playoffs, starting July 31 from WWoS.

MLS also coming to WWoS:

Last edited:
Here's a look at where the players will be playing. Each arena has broadcast capabilities, ESPN has a broadcast center on-site, and the teams will supposedly be sending their home courts down to Orlando so there's some semblence of normalcy.

HP Field House:

This venue is most commonly used for Basketball and hosts a college basketball tournament every year (pictured below). This facility also has a weight room.
uma_8521-2

Although the facility can also be split up into a multiple court set up since there will be no fans. I expect the NBA to go with the one court set up though (possibly with a practice court, however).
basketball-scoreboard-hp-field-house-complex-slide-3.jpg

hp-field-house-complex-slide-7.jpg

Visa Athletics Center:
The ESPN WWoS Grill is connected to this athletics center. I've been here for AAU Basketball tournaments and they hold about 4-6 games at a time. As you can see below, the arena has way more than enough room for basketball.
jostens-center-complex-slide-3.jpg

VISA-ATHLETIC-CENTER.png

The Arena:
The newest of the three arenas, Disney opened this in 2018 and is a multi-use facility, most commonly used for competitive cheer & AAU basketball. I'm going to guess Disney will try too secure a sponsor for this arena before the NBA starts playing games as it will get a lot of press over the coming months.
5adf5eec0a1dc.png

complex-new-arena-slide-1.jpg

MLS IS BACK TOURNAMENT: KEY DATES
June 24: Teams begin arriving in Florida
July 8: Group stage begins
July 25-28: Round-of-16
July 30- Aug. 1: Quarterfinals
Aug. 5-6: Semifinals
Aug. 11: MLS is Back Tournament Final

This a nice gesture:
In a bid to maintain the health and safety of players, staff and other support personnel, MLS, in conjunction with the league's infectious disease experts, have developed a COVID-19 testing plan that will be implemented for the entire MLS is Back Tournament. In addition, MLS will make a contribution of serology (antibodies) tests to Central Florida residents beginning June 18.

Just a quick update... it's getting a bit dicey as to if the NBA Season actually will resume. According to a lot of insiders, there's a divide between players that want to play and then players that want to make a statement by NOT playing, as many don't want the NBA coming back to take away from the Black Lives Matter movement. They are worried about the movement just as much as COVID and rising cases in Florida probably isn't helping matters either. There's also players that aren't on likely contenders that just don't feel like it will be worth the health risk just to lose anyway.

So Disney is gonna try and do some free marketing and will be showing Black Widow to NBA players while they are at WDW. Jungle Cruise and other finished (but unreleased) movies may also be shown.

I can't see Feige allowing this. Marvel is notoriously paranoid about spoilers. More likely, it'll be Jungle Cruise, Mulan, and Soul.

I can't see Feige allowing this. Marvel is notoriously paranoid about spoilers. More likely, it'll be Jungle Cruise, Mulan, and Soul.

I don't think Feige is going to get a say if it's in support of a deal this big. They'll all have to sign NDA's, I'm sure.

What kind of marketing strategy is it showing millionaires who are staying in luxurious hotels for free movies early? Whats the positive in that?

What kind of marketing strategy is it showing millionaires who are staying in luxurious hotels for free movies early? Whats the positive in that?

It dosen't cost Disney a dime, but if they get a half dozen tweets in front of millions of followers that say "Jungle Cruise was Great!" that's essentially free publicity.

It dosen't cost Disney a dime, but if they get a half dozen tweets in front of millions of followers that say "Jungle Cruise was Great!" that's essentially free publicity.
Unless the players are brutally honest and one says, "Damn, Mulan was great, but Jungle Cruise sucked, even my kids couldn't sit through that," I guess that would still be good publicity.

It's not for publicity. They're trying to incentivize the players to participate in a kind of insane scheme.
Most of the players WANT to play? Why? If they don’t play, not only do they lose out on 25% of this years salary, but the league has been thriving lately and with that, salary caps have been rising. If they don’t finish this season, all of that money goes away.

It’s certainly a risk, but I can’t think of an better way they could handle coming back than doing it at WWoS. Disney was simply giving examples to show that they will do whatever necessary to make the players comfortable.

Jim Hill on his podcast (take it was a grain of salt) said Disney got rid of EMH at Disney World upon reopening to give to players so they can get some time in the parks while also not worrying about crowds as well.