Fast and Furious: Hollywood Drift coaster (Opening 2026) | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast and Furious: Hollywood Drift coaster (Opening 2026)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
VelociCoaster was somewhat out of Universal's comfort zone, really just the top hat, but it's a standard launch coaster. This new coaster is drastically different from any other roller coaster Universal has created. It feels like something you'd see at Busch Gardens or Sea World. That isn't a bad thing either.
I'm interested in what you think makes Veloci standard...IMO it has one of the more creative layouts I've seen on a modern coaster

That's not even discussing the theming aspects

Last edited:
How can we say this is drastically different than any coaster universal has created when you have. . .'
20141102-_DSC2407.JPG

and

157ad25f59c6b866308d523c44a784fab0db2881_00.jpg

and

2hm3v85z5s581.jpg

and the long gone. . .

dueling-dragons-layout.jpg

So how would this coaster be any different?
HRRR feels like something you wouldn't see at a Universal park. Hulk, Dragons, Battlestar, Velocicoaster, Mummy, and Hagird's do. What makes it "drastically different" to me is the drifting element and the fact that it looks like a Boomerang-style coaster. I guess it just comes down to personal opinion.

Reactions: OrlLover
I'm interested in what you think makes Veloci standard...IMO it has one of the more creative layouts I've seen on a modern coaster

That's not even discussing the theming aspects
I'm not trying to crap on Velocicoaster, cause I think it's a really fun and creative coaster. I agree, the theming is phenomenal. The layout is great as well. When I say "standard", I don't mean that it's "basic". It just feels like a coaster you WOULD see at Universal. I wasn't trying to spark an argument/debate either lol.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Last edited:
Reactions: OrlLover
I'm not trying to crap on Velocicoaster, cause I think it's a really fun and creative coaster. I agree, the theming is phenomenal. The layout is great as well. When I say "standard", I don't mean that it's "basic". It just feels like a coaster you WOULD see at Universal. I wasn't trying to spark an argument/debate either lol.

Edit: Sorry for the double post
I didn't take it that way, I was just trying to understand your statement

I'm excited that Universal is doing a more intense spinner, something like that would be great in Orlando as well

Gringotts is a bit too "dark ride" for me to count it

I didn't take it that way, I was just trying to understand your statement

I'm excited that Universal is doing a more intense spinner, something like that would be great in Orlando as well

Gringotts is a bit too "dark ride" for me to count it
I'm excited as well! Yeah, a spinner coaster would be a cool addition in Orlando.

The permit states that it’ll go in front of the fire station which I think is on the other side
thats not what the permit says.

The station is alreadon "the hillside in front of the fire station 51" . So when it launches north towards escalator 1 , its descending on the hillside. as described. the layout is based on the artwork, so the start and finish positions are fixed along with angles. theyre not going to build a coaster on a narrow strip of a steep hill or build on a road that fire tracks need access to. the layout is also based on the fact it needs a long straight run to launch back up the hill. Scott did a comparision overlay im sure he will share at somepoint

By far most boring looking Q of any attractions since...I can't remember. Like it's been a long time since we had a simple Q.

Dreamwork's Theater comes to mind but I do like the Pre Show space at least, I know the ride will be fun but wish they find a better way to theme it. Like the fact that this ride is being build by the same people who made the last three Potter rides, SLOP and Mario Kart Qs, it feels so much more generic

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
By far most boring looking Q of any attractions since...I can't remember. Like it's been a long time since we had a simple Q.

Dreamwork's Theater comes to mind but I do like the Pre Show space at least, I know the ride will be fun but wish they find a better way to theme it. Like the fact that this ride is being build by the same people who made the last three Potter rides, SLOP and Mario Kart Qs, it feels so much more generic
If it's like Veloci where the coaster is flying around you for most of it then they have some interesting interior design, then awesome

If it's like the HRRR queue then....boooo

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
If it's like Veloci where the coaster is flying around you for most of it then they have some interesting interior design, then awesome

Yeah I really hope it's more than just some sleek Cedar Fair roller coaster station. Like, c'mon. At least make it feel like it's from a F&F movie.

A HRRR style coaster station makes no sense for an aesthetic for a F&F coaster.

I mean we have pics of the Q

doesn’t look like you see much but cars…so it’s another west coast racers

How can we say this is drastically different than any coaster universal has created when you have. . .'
20141102-_DSC2407.JPG

and

157ad25f59c6b866308d523c44a784fab0db2881_00.jpg

and

2hm3v85z5s581.jpg

and the long gone. . .

dueling-dragons-layout.jpg

So how would this coaster be any different?

The 3 recent Universal coasters have been Gringott's, Hagrid's and VelociCoaster which certainly feel like a step above these coasters.

Minus the hook above the station for Hollywood Drift, I think the rest of the coaster will be a low to the ground speed machine as it goes down the hillside. I don't think it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Hollywood Drift is going to be a fun addition. Mix that with Nintendo opening and it's a great one two punch for the park. It's going to bring plenty of talk about bringing it to the east coast that just won't be possible in the flat terrain of Orlando.

I'm guessing the station will be very similar to the F&F ride in Orlando. The queue is well done and there's no reason to think it will be anything less since that seems to be part of the overall experience for Universal attractions lately.

The permit states that it’ll go in front of the fire station which I think is on the other side

Correct. Permit states ride will descend from upper lot station toward lower lot along hillside in front of fire station, which would mean the ride will start out going west. This is the opposite direction in Tommy's layout. @Ryanthemepark's reply with the red circle shows the hillside which the ride should start with.

thats not what the permit says.

The station is alreadon "the hillside in front of the fire station 51" . So when it launches north towards escalator 1 , its descending on the hillside. as described. the layout is based on the artwork, so the start and finish positions are fixed along with angles. theyre not going to build a coaster on a narrow strip of a steep hill or build on a road that fire tracks need access to. the layout is also based on the fact it needs a long straight run to launch back up the hill. Scott did a comparision overlay im sure he will share at somepoint

The station is technically not on the hillside, but on the upper lot. I appreciate your layout, but it looks to be purely based on the early concept artwork which no longer matches the description in the permit. You have the station properly sitting on the upper lot, which is what the permit says and your layout shows, but it entirely misses the hillside to the west. Since this was early concept artwork, I believe the ride's layout has changed since then and the permit's description is likely more accurate. Station still appears to be on the upper lot where the two show stages currently are, but I don't see it looking like that and the orientation will surely have changed based on permit's description. Sounds like the ride will end with a loop around Starway Escalator #1, not start in that direction.

Since Fast & Furious Orlando?!? ;) To be fair this is just early concept art so the reality ' may' be better than whats shown. I'd appreciate something to do with the team being asked to complete a new mission rather than the standard warehouse/autoshop vibe.

Correct. Permit states ride will descend from upper lot station toward lower lot along hillside in front of fire station, which would mean the ride will start out going west. This is the opposite direction in Tommy's layout. @Ryanthemepark's reply with the red circle shows the hillside which the ride should start with.

I'd say the location of the coaster and the return to station track IS in front of the fire station, I don't think anymore track will go in the other direction - it would probably cause sightline issues for Jurassic and would likely have been shown in this concept. Tommy's layout looks right, could not be but nothing in the permit would make me think otherwise.

From the concept art the queue looks like it'll be themed, albeit outdoors, just like Orlando's. Not sure what else you can expect from an F&F queue outside of auto shop theming and tires.

I've very intrigued to see what they do on the hillside in the 2nd coaster section theming-wise. Simple landscaping? Desert theme? Scrap yard?

The 3 recent Universal coasters have been Gringott's, Hagrid's and VelociCoaster which certainly feel like a step above these coasters.

Minus the hook above the station for Hollywood Drift, I think the rest of the coaster will be a low to the ground speed machine as it goes down the hillside. I don't think it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Hollywood Drift is going to be a fun addition. Mix that with Nintendo opening and it's a great one two punch for the park. It's going to bring plenty of talk about bringing it to the east coast that just won't be possible in the flat terrain of Orlando.
I'm happy Hollywood is getting this attraction, but it makes me jealous lol. I don't expect F&F in Orlando to receive a replacement for Supercharged for a very long time. Could just gut the show building and build a coaster similar to Mummy in there. :shrug:

Reactions: Scott W.
I'm happy Hollywood is getting this attraction, but it makes me jealous lol. I don't expect F&F in Orlando to receive a replacement for Supercharged for a very long time. Could just gut the show building and build a coaster similar to Mummy in there. :shrug:

It's hard to get jealous when Epic Universe is being built just down the road.

I still maintain that Supercharged was a blessing in disguise to give Universal Creative a good boot up the arse before starting a new park.

The station is technically not on the hillside, but on the upper lot. I appreciate your layout, but it looks to be purely based on the early concept artwork which no longer matches the description in the permit. You have the station properly sitting on the upper lot, which is what the permit says and your layout shows, but it entirely misses the hillside to the west. Since this was early concept artwork, I believe the ride's layout has changed since then and the permit's description is likely more accurate. Station still appears to be on the upper lot where the two show stages currently are, but I don't see it looking like that and the orientation will surely have changed based on permit's description. Sounds like the ride will end with a loop around Starway Escalator #1, not start in that direction.

Where are you getting from the layout had changed?

Willing to bite.

From the specifics of the survey: it says that the coaster would begin from the location of the Upper Lot, and travel downwards to the Lower Lot, but at that same time; also travelling down near that of Fire House #55.

For the load, queue, and start and end of the ride, the border can be defined as that of around that of the side of Kirk Douglas. Meaning, the coaster would need to travel down, alongside that of Kirk Douglas proper. You would have to modify the poster locations in doing so, and the infastructure around that of the coaster and the fire escape.

1665439141563.png

I can be absolutely wrong in this--have been in the past; and I'd argue they would also go down to the hillside to the right of the second starway going down to the Lower Lot, but it could allow them to block noise pollution by narrowing it in-between the Jurassic World structure, DMMM/Frankenstein Parking, and the reformed area for F&F's queue, station, transfers, and storage areas.

Positionals of the start and end are a bit off, more specifically the overhang and what I think is a cutback, but this makes sense to me. An Out/Back thrill coaster that has three launches (the reverse to the Hammerhead Stall, the Forward launch to what seems to be a cutback, and the booster launch sending the train to the ride's Z-gravity stall). Could even make it four inversions if the way from next to the starway to the left of Kirk Douglas is a corkscrew emulating the final race scene.

Hope I don't get on your bad side, @tommyhawkins; but this feels the most sensical in my opinion.

Last edited: