Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 65 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not sure this was discussed before, but since Six Flag’s rights of the WB IP’s will be be expired several years from now if they’re not renew, could they go with Looney Tunes to retheme Toon Lagoon like what Universal originally wanted?
I don't see them investing in any IP that's not current unless they own it outright. Why pay licensing for an IP that doesn't really resonate with today's crowds and make money?

Universal owns enough IPs that are much more relevant they could use for less money and make more money.

I don't see them investing in any IP that's not current unless they own it outright. Why pay licensing for an IP that doesn't really resonate with today's crowds and make money?

Universal owns enough IPs that are much more relevant they could use for less money and make more money.
Toon Lagoon becoming "Shrek's Swamp" it is

Reactions: PerezDC and Mad Dog
I’ve said this before, but if you wanna revamp Toon Lagoon, my advice would be Cuphead (a character for which Hearst currently has the entertainment rights), the Defenders of the Earth (The Phantom, Mandrake the Magician, and Flash Gordon), or both. The latter three are severely underused in that land, and the other could be Colbert-bumped by the addition of a theme park attraction.

Cuphead would be pretty sweet in Toon Lagoon. That would be a really cool atmosphere but I'm not sure if the general public would know who Cuphead is. But to be fair maybe it doesn't matter if they know the character if the look of the land is interesting enough.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Cuphead would be pretty sweet in Toon Lagoon. That would be a really cool atmosphere but I'm not sure if the general public would know who Cuphead is. But to be fair maybe it doesn't matter if they know the character if the look of the land is interesting enough.

Cuphead isn’t really that ubiquitous right now. The only downside I see going with a certain IP that is current to replace Toon Lagoon that it may not be worth the years as a successor like how the Walking Dead Attraction replaced House of Horror at Hollywood and later got shut down. The Universal Monsters are classic enough to have power staying in some ways while an AMC TV series based on the comics is now considered as a fad.

Toon Lagoon becoming "Shrek's Swamp" it is
I would love to see them build a Rankin Bass style Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer land. They own the IP, and I just imagine it as an all indoor (with really good AC) area with everything in the Rankin Bass style. It could be perpetually twilight (since it's winter at the North Pole) with auroras projected in the "sky". I think it would be something people love year round, and I think they could get a whole (smaller sized) land out of it. The attractions, food, and merch opportunities would be amazing!

Of course I know they own the rights, but there may be other rights and legal issues involved since it features music, but it would be awesome. Just having seen what SW, BG, and Dollywood have done with it for Christmas shows the potential.

I would love to see them build a Rankin Bass style Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer land. They own the IP, and I just imagine it as an all indoor (with really good AC) area with everything in the Rankin Bass style. It could be perpetually twilight (since it's winter at the North Pole) with auroras projected in the "sky". I think it would be something people love year round, and I think they could get a whole (smaller sized) land out of it. The attractions, food, and merch opportunities would be amazing!

Of course I know they own the rights, but there may be other rights and legal issues involved since it features music, but it would be awesome. Just having seen what SW, BG, and Dollywood have done with it for Christmas shows the potential.
I recall that one of our most prominent IU Insiders said it was a blue sky project by UC for Lost Continent a few years back, but it never made it out of the concept phase. Plus those rights are a bit tangled up with others that have partial control.

Not sure this was discussed before, but since Six Flag’s rights of the WB IP’s will be be expired several years from now if they’re not renew, could they go with Looney Tunes to retheme Toon Lagoon like what Universal originally wanted?

My understanding was that Six Flags deal is in perpetuity as long as the chain isn't sold.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Ok, I can't go into specifics, but I work at Ripsaw. The whole thing we might never reopen is not true. Refurb until March or dragging into the summer ... potentially. But anyway, let us look at this logically, they started returning the ride in the beginning of the month, I cannot say what, but I can say a lot of work has been done already, so it would make little sense to do all this work and then to just say, ah to hell with it lol

Also, we have not been given a timeframe, there is stuff we know, hear, are privy too etc., but there is no timeline. Yes, we all are at different venues now, but that is standard for maintenance periods.