General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure | Page 142 | Inside Universal Forums

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal probably needs to bite the bullet and shut the attraction down for as long as it takes to fix the drop track problem. Capacity will continue to suffer until that problem is fixed.

Thats the rub. It's an intamin drop track. The only fix is to replace it. So design, order, build, ship, then install. Probably 6 months to a year.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I was there on Monday and while waiting in line at FJ (for 65 minutes)_ spoke to a couple from Utah who were on a cruise and did the Universal excursion. They told me they waited in line for over 2 hours when the ride broke down and the line was cleared. I really felt badly for them as they wasted so much of their time and have not yet ridden one ride. When I walked by Hagrids, the ride was still closed, bu they were cycling. Huge crowd of people waiting for the line to reopen. Seems to me the rehab might have been a little rushed?

I was there Monday too. I think Hagrids had two extended periods of downtime over the course of the day. My wife and I were hanging out at Backwater Bar when the rain hit at around 18.20 and after spending half an hour under cover watching crowds stream out of the park we decided to head over to Hagrids when the rain stopped close to 19.00.

When we got there it was posted as a 200 minute wait, but as it was our last night we decided to chance it. Walked straight through the outdoor section of the line and actually started queueing just after the pre-show room. The line felt like it was moving very slowly, and when we got to the small room just before the load room we realised why - loads of people merging into the line with passes from when the ride had been down earlier in the day. Fortunately it still only took 80 mins or so to get on.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Clive
I was there Monday too. I think Hagrids had two extended periods of downtime over the course of the day. My wife and I were hanging out at Backwater Bar when the rain hit at around 18.20 and after spending half an hour under cover watching crowds stream out of the park we decided to head over to Hagrids when the rain stopped close to 19.00.

When we got there it was posted as a 200 minute wait, but as it was our last night we decided to chance it. Walked straight through the outdoor section of the line and actually started queueing just after the pre-show room. The line felt like it was moving very slowly, and when we got to the small room just before the load room we realised why - loads of people merging into the line with passes from when the ride had been down earlier in the day. Fortunately it still only took 80 mins or so to get on.
Someone explain to me like I’m 5 why Virtual Line wouldn’t be ideal here. Seems like it would eliminate any scenarios like this one while the ride is still having issues.

Someone explain to me like I’m 5 why Virtual Line wouldn’t be ideal here. Seems like it would eliminate any scenarios like this one while the ride is still having issues.

Be ready to ignore any responses from here who are likely annual pass holders who want to waltz in to the park after work and have the same chance to ride or more frequent visitors, who this system does NOT favor. Virtual Line is obviously the best case scenario for day trippers and vacationers whose time in the parks is limited.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Be ready to ignore any responses from here who are likely annual pass holders who want to waltz in to the park after work and have the same chance to ride or more frequent visitors, who this system does NOT favor. Virtual Line is obviously the best case scenario for day trippers and vacationers whose time in the parks is limited.
There is a barrier to entry for virtual line that requires tech knowledge, ability to be informed of the requirement prior to it running out, and ability to get your mobile device to work when you need to.

If you happen to not see an A-frame with a QR code at the park entrance or land entrance at the start of the day, you’ll possibly not get to ride. Especially if you start at Studios and hop to IOA after lunch, for example.

Universal’s virtual line is/was also incredibly easy to game, as it is web-based and does not require authentication of how many people are actually in your party.

I know the ride has issues, and it can be awful to wait two hours in line just to be evacuated, but it’s even more awful to spend $150 just to get turned away from the ride altogether because at no point in your vacation planning, ticket purchase, or turnstile entry were you informed that you had to be online on your mobile device at just the right time today or you had no chance to ride.

I hate to say it, but as much as hate Disney‘s virtual line for new rides, at least they do a better job of informing you of it before you get on a plane to head to Florida.

You guys really try to sell the privilege of waiting in 3 hour lines and possibly getting eval'd on vacation while doing nothing else when spending $150 a day on your 1-day ticket. :lol: Enjoying the rest of the park is not a POOR alternative, no matter what your thesis is on the subject. There's a reason why Disney has gone this route for almost all their new attractions as of late. Some rides... especially one with capacity and technical issues like Hagrid's... seems like the perfect candidate for it.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
You guys really try to sell the privilege of waiting in 3 hour lines and possibly getting eval'd on vacation while doing nothing else when spending $150 a day on your 1-day ticket. :lol: Enjoying the rest of the park is not a POOR alternative, no matter what your thesis is on the subject. There's a reason why Disney has gone this route for almost all their new attractions as of late. Some rides... especially one with capacity and technical issues like Hagrid's... seems like the perfect candidate for it.
I think that was my point. If Universal wants to have virtual line only for this, or any ride, it needs to be overhauled (again). The web based systems they used previously had far too many faults in my opinion, and actually were much easier for locals to take advantage of.

The system Hollywood used for Nintendo return times seems more fair. You can make a reservation through the app OR make a reservation right at the entrance. It’s more intuitive for regular guests to have an option right at the attraction entrance.

For all its faults, old school paper FastPasses were easy to understand.

As for standby, people understand that new and popular attractions can have multi hour waits. If the newest and most popular attraction is important to you on your vacation, especially if you’ve done most everything else last time you were in town, then yes, having the option to wait in line over not having any option at all is preferable.

Reactions: Clive and Coolbfitz
Could they just run you backwards to the lower level and launch from there? Rebuild the spiral and eliminate the drop?

I was thinking along those lines but with a controlled reverse descent surrounded by the vines. Then, after you reach the bottom, you have a switch track setup that in essence puts you in the same position as the current ride.

Reactions: tankart150
Saturday night the ride randomly shut down right after the drop, but it continued like 10 seconds later. Was kinda funny cause all the lights went off and it was already dark out.

I hate to say it, but as much as hate Disney‘s virtual line for new rides, at least they do a better job of informing you of it before you get on a plane to head to Florida.

Part of the problem I have with Universal is the lack of communication to guests, not just in this regard but just about everything - early park closures, Red Coconut shutting down for a buyout, etc..

Part of the problem I have with Universal is the lack of communication to guests, not just in this regard but just about everything - early park closures, Red Coconut shutting down for a buyout, etc..
Yes, big time. I recall an example of this during the Holiday season in 2021. I wanted to know if they were going to run Cinemagic show one night. The weather was clear, no rain expected. I asked at the turnstiles.
No one knew, but they referred me to a lead that was in the area. I asked him, but he said he had no idea. He referred me to park relations. I stood in line, and when it was my turn, I asked them. They said they didn't know for sure, but they
thought it wasn't running that night . I told Alene, that looking at Touring Plans in the past few weeks, it looked like they were running it on nights when they closed at 8:00 PM , but not 7:00 PM. That night's closing was 8:00
PM, so I said we'll stay late because I bet they'll run the show. And, yes, it did run. ....And Universal wonders why they don't always get big crowds for their night lagoon shows. Maybe it's because it's not as regular as Disney does....The Citywalk buyouts really bug me. I've had to change Citywalk plans too many times when that entire back bar/restaurant area is shut down for a buyout.

Last edited:
Yes, big time. I recall an example of this during the Holiday season in 2021. I wanted to know if they were going to run Cinemagic show one night. The weather was clear, no rain expected. I asked at the turnstiles.
No one knew, but they referred me to a lead that was in the area. I asked him, but he said he had no idea. He referred me to park relations. I stood in line, and when it was my turn, I asked them. They said they didn't know for sure, but they
thought it wasn't running that night . I told Alene, that looking at Touring Plans in the past few weeks, it looked like they were running it on nights when they closed at 8:00 PM , but not 7:00 PM. That night's closing was 8:00
PM, so I said we'll stay late because I bet they'll run the show. And, yes, it did run. ....And Universal wonders why they don't always get big crowds for their night lagoon shows. Maybe it's because it's not as regular as Disney does.

THIS. Universal doesn't have a consistent schedule (look on the app for their posted showtimes at how confusing they make things) which makes their own TMs confused. Also, TMs, through no fault of their own and to be completely blamed on their management, are never truly informed of the park like Disney. I don't expect a history lesson, but they should generally know what is going on around the park and where things are.

I love Universal, but as great as they have been in attraction design, operations/execution to this day hold them back.

Reactions: Mad Dog
THIS. Universal doesn't have a consistent schedule (look on the app for their posted showtimes at how confusing they make things) which makes their own TMs confused. Also, TMs, through no fault of their own and to be completely blamed on their management, are never truly informed of the park like Disney. I don't expect a history lesson, but they should generally know what is going on around the park and where things are.

I love Universal, but as great as they have been in attraction design, operations/execution to this day hold them back.
It was sooo much better when they had showtimes on paper maps. You could find the showtime in seconds. They took the showtinmes off after covid. Now, it takes forever to find them on that complicated app.....Too much reliance on complicated/confusing high tech/phones is really degrading the theme park experience at both Universal & Disney. It's a big step backwards. Parks need to: Keep it simple, stupid.