General Movies & TV Thread | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Simultaneously the most engrossing Oscars in years in terms of raw entertainment value but also a mortifying display of unprofessionalism and disrespect to filmmaking as an artform (insulting Last Duel because "no one watched it?" Seriously?). Also weird and blatant Disney synergy abounds; shouting out White Men Can't Jump felt odd until I remembered Hulu is doing a remake this year. And Let it Go? Honestly.
The joke about The Last Duel was ridiculous and equally confusing, considering it's a 20th/Disney movie and this is on ABC (meaning the skit about The Last Duel had to be approved by someone at ABC).

As for Let It Go... They were playing music nominated by the Academy all night. The show ended on "Can't Stop The Feeling", which is a song from a Dreamworks movie that didn't even win in it's year. Sure there was a lot of Disney synergy, which is to be expected on ABC at this point, but I also just think they were trying to make The Oscars "cool".

What i'm more baffled by was how they supposedly cut an hour out of what was a 4 hour show to make it a 3 hour show and it still clocked in at around 3 hours and 40 minutes. Was it more entertaining than usual? Yes. Will the ratings likely be higher than the toilet they've been sinking to? Yes. Did having three hosts work? Not always, but I think overall it did.

However, there's still gotta be some fat that they can trim to get it down to 3 hours flat and even then I think it's too long. I thought the "We Don't Talk About Bruno" performance really fluffed out the show as it was an underwhelming remixed performance and it was only a small portion of the song. I get why they did it - they wanted to lure people in to watch the show. But it wasn't even nominated as Disney didn't submit it for best original song.

The "Fan Favorite" Oscar that were engineered to give Marvel a prize going to, in ascending order, Johnny Depp, Camilla Cabello and Zack Snyder was hilarious though.
I would like to make sure it's pointed out that it's unofficial awards, to have fan engagement. It is hilarious that the award that everyone thought was a slam dunk for NWH had the worst of all Cinderella's ever made ahead of it.

What it does do potentially though is give Snyder and Cabello room for better negotiating in the future because she can point to the following that she brings to the table, and Snyder can do the same as he went 2 for 2.

Also, yeeeeshhh:

Last edited:
Reading about "the slap" and the joke was written by the writers and approved by the producers-- Chris Rock simply read it.

The thing that gets me is it wasn't a put down. Jada Pinket Smith rocks that look, and GI Jane was a movie about a woman who becomes an elite Marine. Nothing there was an insult.

The real hypocrisy to me is someone assaults another person on international television, goes back to his seat, wins an award, and is greeted by a standing ovation. Hollywood is never going to change… they just keep looking the other way.

The real hypocrisy to me is someone assaults another person on international television, goes back to his seat, wins an award, and is greeted by a standing ovation. Hollywood is never going to change… they just keep looking the other way.
Yup, if that was me or you, we get detained immediately and charges ARE pressed pressed unlike here, where the LAPD have confirmed that Chris Rock declined to file charges.

I really won’t be surprised if the Academy takes back Will’s Oscar, though.

Reactions: Jamesh22
and was then supposedly 'comforted' by Tyler Perry and Denzel Washington.
Doesn't matter what Chris said, what Smith did is against the law and IMO he should have been immediately removed from the theatre... not given an award.

I really won’t be surprised if the Academy takes back Will’s Oscar, though.

That is the very least that should happen. I honestly don't understand why they went ahead with the best actor award.

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh
and was then supposedly 'comforted' by Tyler Perry and Denzel Washington.
Doesn't matter what Chris said, what Smith did is against the law and IMO he should have been immediately removed from the theatre... not given an award.
Bradley Cooper, too. I don’t have an issue with them doing that because something is clearly not mentally there with him in that moment.

Chris Rock isn’t totally clean in that moment as that joke was a little tasteless considering what Jada is going through, but it was a JOKE. No reason for Will to conduct himself like that. That’s something you handle during commercial or backstage.

Reactions: Jamesh22
The Academy need to take a chunk of blame here, it was not ok to just continue with that particular award while Will was still in the building.

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh
The Academy need to take a chunk of blame here, it was not ok to just continue with that particular award while Will was still in the building.
I will say that I don’t have a problem with them continuing the documentary award as its live TV and Chris Rock was in a state of shock

But The Academy ABSOLUTELY should have removed Will and his Oscar should be stripped. He should never have had the opportunity to make that speech.

I read in the Wash Post that Rock's joke was ad libbed and not vetted in advance by the producers.....Not that it absolves any blame for what Smith did, but history looks like Rock has had a thing for the Smiths....and tonight Smith apologized to Rock on Instagram.

Last edited:
I want to preface what i'm about to say that I think Will Smith is going through a very tough time in his life. His marriage is on the brink and I think he's constantly very protective of her and didn't like that she didn't like the joke, etc, etc. I get all of that. There was also a joke about Will Smith's open marriage earlier in the evening so I think he did have some sort of mental breakdown and Chris Rock just got it.

That said...

I read in the Wash Post that Rock's joke was ad libbed and not vetted in advance by the producers.....Not that it absolves any blame for what Smith did, but history looks like Rock has had a thing for the Smiths....and tonight Smith apologized to Rock on Instagram.
Oh boy, an Instagram apology. :rolleyes: He had the microphone and gave a roughly 3 minute long speech about love of all things and used his character he played in a MOVIE to basically justify slapping Chris Rock as if he's method acting. He apologized to his fellow nominees. He apologized to the academy. He did not apologize to Chris Rock. That was his moment to apologize, not in some instagram post.

Film historians will look back on this moment as the biggest disgrace to The Oscars and The Academy as a whole. Chris Rock is a Gold Medal instigator which is why he is up there as one of the best comedians of all time depending on your taste. Rock made a joke that was a bit tasteless, but Will laughed and to be honest, the joke was fairly tame for Chris Rock. Will noticed Jada was displeased with the joke, but that doesn't mean you run up and slap a person. What he did is called Aggravated Battery, which is why the LAPD got involved.

I'm sure many of you would do crazy things for your spouses, but if this was the taping of a Chris Rock special and someone decided to just randomly run up on stage and slap him, what do you think happens? Do you think he goes back to his seat or do you think he is detained by the police and Chris Rock *actually* presses charges against someone much less wealthy than Will Smith? I think we all know the answer.

Will Smith has ruined his reputation and how he is perceived going forward. I never watched King Richard and was planning on doing so probably this weekend. At least for right now, I can't bare to look at his face never mind watch a movie with him as the lead actor anymore. Maybe over time that will change, but right now he simply disgusts me.

Film historians will look back on this moment as the biggest disgrace to The Oscars and The Academy as a whole.
Please.

John Wayne had to be held back by six security guards to keep him from attacking a woman who was critical of Hollywood’s treatment of indigenous people.

There’s Roman Polanski’s win (and subsequent standing ovation).

There’s Hattie McDaniel not being allowed to sit with the cast of Gone With the Wind, despite being nominated, because she was Black.

There have been more disgraceful moments at the Oscars. In five years, this will hardly be a footnote.

Please.

John Wayne had to be held back by six security guards to keep him from attacking a woman who was critical of Hollywood’s treatment of indigenous people.

There’s Roman Polanski’s win (and subsequent standing ovation).

There’s Hattie McDaniel not being allowed to sit with the cast of Gone With the Wind, despite being nominated, because she was Black.

There have been more disgraceful moments at the Oscars. In five years, this will hardly be a footnote.

Some of the recent winners alone have done even more disgraceful things than what Will did (Casey Affleck, Jared Leto).

Also, where’s Chris Rock’s apology to Jada??

Yes. IMO, making fun of someone’s alopecia and seeing they’re clearly hurt by said “joke” should receive an apology.
He was a victim of assault. Should anyone who ever says something remotely hurtful be punched/slapped?

it wasn't a funny joke, it was possibly tasteless (if he knew about her condition}, but a victim of assault should not be expected to apologise, period.

We have laws against violence, not free speach.

EDIT - I do totally agree about the other horrible oscar incidents. I wouldnt class this as the worst.

Last edited:
I dont blame the Oscars for Chris getting hit but him getting to say and then win the award and talk about peace....lol

Hollywood Actor's are such...actors they don't give a dam about other's and just want their ego's stroked.

Was the joke good? Nope, does this mean you can just assault them, no but in Hollywood if you are rich enough you can do anything

Also not defending the joke but basically if you can get that upset about this joke we can't have ANY jokes at the Oscars talking about people's look, age, or hair....basically making it a Joke free zone

He was a victim of assault. Should anyone who ever says something remotely hurtful be punched/slapped?

it wasn't a funny joke, it was possibly tasteless (if he knew about her condition}, but a victim of assault should not be expected to apologise, period.

We have laws against violence, not free speach.

It wasn’t possibly tasteless it was 100% tasteless as Jada has been vocal about her alopecia issues, Hollywood is a small town, and the Smith family has had bad blood with Chris Rock for quite some time now so he knew exactly what he was doing.

Two wrongs in no way/shape/form make a right and IMO what he should’ve done was just apologize to Jada when he saw how upset she was. For a man that made a documentary on the importance of black women’s hair to go on the Academy Awards stage in front of millions and make fun of a black woman’s hair was just as low to me.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It wasn’t possibly tasteless it was 100% tasteless as Jada has been vocal about her alopecia issues, Hollywood is a small town, and the Smith family has had bad blood with Chris Rock for quite some time now so he knew exactly what he was doing.

Two wrongs in no way/shape/form make a right and IMO what he should’ve done was just apologize to Jada when he saw how upset she was. For a man that made a documentary on the importance of black women’s hair to go on the Academy Awards stage in front of millions and make fun of a black woman’s hair was just as low to me.
We do not know what he does or doesn't know

I had no Idea of her condition and most people seem to be in the same boat.

Second assaulting someone just is not in the same camp as a Joke, it's why you can't press charges or go to jail for jokes. Lastly Smith went on a 180 here, he was laughing until he saw his wife. Then decided to and hit someone and then yelling as if acting like a child who didn't get what he wants makes him the bigger man.

I'm in no way defending the joke. If what you say is true then it was tasteless/poorly judged.
But the whole world now knows about her condition because of Will's actions, not because of the joke.

I do wonder how people would feel if it had been someone other than Rock that made the joke, would a female comedian have everyone on her side or would people think she should apologise despite being assaulted. It all makes me very uncomfortable.

I had no Idea of her condition and most people seem to be in the same boat.

Same. I don't know anyone who had the slightest idea before this, and Jada looked stunning.