Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this lineup, too. If it holds true, my level of anticipation goes:
1. The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor (my guess is it will feature both seasons)
2. UCM: Brides
3. Texas Chainsaw
4. The Invisible Man
5. Beetlejuice
6. Billie

Nothing against Billie at all, I'm just not totally sure what to expect. My sense is it's going to be more or less an original maze that's she is sponsoring, so to speak. Like, I envision an original idea that's quote-unquote "From the Mind of Billie Eilish," but it won't have much to do with her or her music, and it will probably also have limited creative contributions from her. It'll mostly just be kind of a brand marketing kinda thing. Although she probably has more time on her hands without the possibility of a summer/fall tour, so maybe she'll be more involved than initially planned.

I’m not surprised we got 7 mazes honestly. This is quite interesting lineup in my opinion, but we’ll see which is true and which is not true.

I also see that there is an “M 8” on the backlot in the map, but not on the list, might be a mistake or a secret maze? Lol

Reactions: JMalez
Considering everything going on, the lineup is fine, but I’m baffled by Invisible Man. Not even gonna touch on the domestic abuse angle because I feel everything that needs to be said there has been, but I seriously can’t understand how anyone watched that movie and their first thought was this needs to be at HHN. This reeks of Murdy wanting to work with Leigh Whanel again and Universal wanting to promote their new hit movie. I view this as a waste of a House and I’m holding on to any hope this rumor isn’t true.

I also see that there is an “M 8” on the backlot in the map, but not on the list, might be a mistake or a secret maze? Lol
Yea I noticed that too. Must be mistake, cause if there is an M8 maze, it should’ve been listed for the lineup.

1. The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor (my guess is it will feature both seasons)
3. Texas Chainsaw
4. The Invisible Man
5. Beetlejuice
6. Billie

Nothing against Billie at all, I'm just not totally sure what to expect. My sense is it's going to be more or less an original maze that's she is sponsoring, so to speak. Like, I envision an original idea that's quote-unquote "From the Mind of Billie Eilish," but it won't have much to do with her or her music, and it will probably also have limited creative contributions from her. It'll mostly just be kind of a brand marketing kinda thing. Although she probably has more time on her hands without the possibility of a summer/fall tour, so maybe she'll be more involved than initially planned.
my main issue is that if this becomes true, that’s all we get. I know it sounds ungrateful but damn where’s the scare zone that turns into a maze? I loved Holidayz in Hell! That was my favorite maze last year and I was looking forward to something similar.

Guys don't worry. The Invisible Man house is just gonna be a series of black walls with no scare actors. Boom, money saved.

All kidding aside, I'm baffled by the inclusion of IM and putting Hill House in the Mummy (did Murdy learn nothing from cramming The Shining there?)

Guys don't worry. The Invisible Man house is just gonna be a series of black walls with no scare actors. Boom, money saved.

All kidding aside, I'm baffled by the inclusion of IM and putting Hill House in the Mummy (did Murdy learn nothing from cramming The Shining there?)
I think Hill House being listed as Mummy instead of SS29 is either a really poor choice from the design team, or it practically sinks the validity of the map

Okay, I'm late to the party. I haven't been very active here lately due to work and the fact I don't typically visit this thread so early in the year, because all the speculation stuff gets a bit much for me sometimes, lol.

I'm not as curious about the content of the mazes themselves at this point. I'm more curious about how they're going to change and work under these new conditions.
  • I assume all those "pass-through" (all those strips of material you have to push through to get from one scene to another) will have to be gone, right? But if they go, so do clear transitions, as well as possible light bleed from other scenes.
  • No more "conga" lines, but how exactly are they going to enforce that? Even the few times early in the run, when they really pulse groups, there always seems to be a bottle neck later on in the maze. And I don't think they can just say, "stand in this taped box on the ground", because people will wig out and just bolt anywhere when scared. Every year I have had numerous strangers grab me out of fear. Can't really have that happen anymore. And if they only let in one group at a time, that will make for a very long wait in line.
  • Keeping scareactors 6 ft away from guests, which makes them essentially impotent. Even if more puppets are used, it can't be all puppets, can it? What about Scarezones?
  • Security in the mazes... don't really see how they can stay 6 ft away from guests.
  • If capacity is cut in half or less, is it even a moneymaker for them (even if extra days are added on)?
And on a side note, with lower capacity, I'm assuming we can kiss FFP goodbye?

Still hyped on the potential of Billie Eilish and The Haunting of Hill House. I was kind of hoping the Universal Monsters maze would just be focused around the Bride of Frankenstein, but it could be neat to have different scenes with Dracula's brides too. I guess we have to wait and see if anything changes in the next month or two.

Ok I know I'm repeating myself, but as a fan made haunt writer, I thought long and hard of how an Invisible man maze will work, and it just doesn't at all, so if any of you guys can change my mind, feel free to do so.

I also made this fitting meme.Screen_Shot_2017-11-10_at_10.36.15_AM.jpg

3. Texas Chainsaw
4. The Invisible Man
5. Beetlejuice
6. Billie

my main issue is that if this becomes true, that’s all we get. I know it sounds ungrateful but damn where’s the scare zone that turns into a maze? I loved Holidayz in Hell! That was my favorite maze last year and I was looking forward to something similar.
Eh, you’re barking up the wrong tree with me. I was not a fan of last year's original mazes, and I think original mazes, in general, are a bad fit at Hollywood HHN. But I don't need to dredge that all up again.

I think, all things considered, six mazes is the right idea for a COVID-impacted HHN. Who knows if these end up being the actual IPs. At this point, they feel right. I'm most bummed that Silence of the Lambs seems to have left the building. I love it as an idea and an IP, so maybe some day.

I guess I'm the only person who's excited for Invisiboi, huh? Always thought it was a great opportunity to experiment with unusual lighting effects and more "theatrical" elements like blackout actors. It's not like you can't use glitching/paint-covered Invisible Man for most of the big scenes either.

Really, the big maze-worthy scenes are:

1. Opening house escape
2. Foot on the Bedsheets with the moving mannequin
3. Attic scene
4. Living Room Fight
5. Return to the Lab
6. Maybe the Restaurant
7. Hospital.
8. Return to the House

There are miscellaneous scenes that can be slotted in and out as transitions - the kitchen, the breath in the air, the shower scene - but for the most part, those are the 8 that feel like they have both a scare element and some kind of visually interesting set-piece that makes them stand-out. And as far as those 8 go, most can have "visible" scares. The Opening can have non-invisible Adrian, Attic has paint-covered invisible man, Living Room can just be a Cecilia actor by herself getting "punched," and the hospital and house have glitching Invisible Man. If you wanted, you could stretch things a little to make scares; maybe the mannequin in the footsteps scene moves, maybe some of the extra suits in the Lab are real.

For my part, I think Invisible Man is a maze where black hallways can actually work, since the darkness and not being able to see aspect is part of the point. I think one neat scene could be: Dark hallway that's kind of cold, with a projector projecting the image of the Invisible Man's breath at the end, and you hear his breath all around. It makes people think there's a scare at the end of the hallway, but then, surprise! Boo-holes with morphsuit invisible men on either side! Stuff like that.

No Terror Team? Ugh, that’s the coolest and most unique aspect of HHNH.

Also, what happened to that rumored Jordan Peele original? Was that maze scrapped because of the pandemic?

Ok I know I'm repeating myself, but as a fan made haunt writer, I thought long and hard of how an Invisible man maze will work, and it just doesn't at all, so if any of you guys can change my mind, feel free to do so.

I also made this fitting meme.View attachment 12548
Frankly I'm glad stuff like The Lighthouse or The Thing arent at the event this year, I'd rather those come in a regular year when I'm not trying to work the event so I can marathon them. Though I enjoyed the movie far more than I expected to, so who knows, maybe they'll have made a breakthrough and it becomes the sleeper hit of the year.

Reactions: hhnlover
Frankly I'm glad stuff like The Lighthouse or The Thing arent at the event this year, I'd rather those come in a regular year when I'm not trying to work the event so I can marathon them. Though I enjoyed the movie far more than I expected to, so who knows, maybe they'll have made a breakthrough and it becomes the sleeper hit of the year.
I really want to see a Tremors house more than a Lighthouse one tbh.

I feel like this is one of the first times we're hearing about Invisible Man, so why is it being treated as fact?

I feel like this is one of the first times we're hearing about Invisible Man, so why is it being treated as fact?
I don't know about it being the first time we are hearing about it. The film was being promoted back in January/February (And typically films they promote prior to the event usually happen). And was mentioned in TPU's article back in April

Last edited:
I could see Eilish being pretty good actually. I agree TIM has the lowest possibility of being good. I know a lot of people want The Lighthouse but I personally feel it would be wasted execution, especially with scenes minimal in capable of translating to a maze that even I think Hereditary suffers from (even though I wanna see it at the event really bad). There's a lot of strange decisions on Hollywood's end in terms of IPs this year especially in a year where they were actually given more of the liberty to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.