What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

The price of a single night at Galactic Starcruiser (per person) at Walt Disney World.
giphy.gif

So, a thought occurs to me as I figure wanting to ask: has Universal Hollywood done pre-fabrication facades for HHN? I have to genuinely ask this; as it feels like something that should be done (Especially when you look at Orlando's Tribute Store Facade).

If they can bring in even a third party; maybe it could allow for situations such as the flat facade to not be present?

So, a thought occurs to me as I figure wanting to ask: has Universal Hollywood done pre-fabrication facades for HHN? I have to genuinely ask this; as it feels like something that should be done (Especially when you look at Orlando's Tribute Store Facade).

If they can bring in even a third party; maybe it could allow for situations such as the flat facade to not be present?
Genuinely surprised they don't outsource more in terms of set design (could be misinformed, but it seems to be almost all in house), especially in comparison to how successfully they've been able to outsource masks and effects.

Genuinely surprised they don't outsource more in terms of set design (could be misinformed, but it seems to be almost all in house), especially in comparison to how successfully they've been able to outsource masks and effects.
Well, I remember back in 2016/2017 there was a bit of controversy as they decided to end their working relationship with Larry Bones and Boneyard FX so they moved more towards house made masks and less on special make-up and prosthetics. So they've actually been doing everything from the builds to the costuming in house for the past few years.

Well, I remember back in 2016/2017 there was a bit of controversy as they decided to end their working relationship with Larry Bones and Boneyard FX so they moved more towards house made masks and less on special make-up and prosthetics. So they've actually been doing everything from the builds to the costuming in house for the past few years.

That...makes me wonder if they're putting too much work in-house, when they should be having third party assists where they can on certain aspects.

What about Macgee? I could be wrong, but I think that relationship is technical outside contracting

It’s easy to look at the Tribute Store and, because it’s a store, forget that Orlando has a multi-person team (that’s larger than Hollywood’s HHN team) dedicated entirely to themed retail experiences. But, yes, it’s theoretically possible to pre-build set elements in advance. I’m fairly Hollywood already does it a lot. I’m also fairly certain the actual builds are contracted in the same way they are in Orlando.
Outsourcing design work is EXPENSIVE. Orlando pulls it off because it’s part of an eight-figure budget for the event. (And when I say expensive, people where turning down job offers from Orlando A&D to design because they could make more money freelancing). Outsourcing masks and effects is different because the creative work is essential done for those, and Universal is only paying for the fabrication.

Thats a pretty cool little thing for them to do. It's not much, but considering it wasn't expected, its a pretty neat thing for them to do. Kinda hope they continue to do little preview haunts like that in the future.