What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

Nice! This gives me hope that we’re going to get some subtle changes to the maze and maybe some new lighting/scare effects.

One Maze left to be announced and Terror Tram right?
That’s 3/3 Netflix mazes that have no “facade” haha. A poster, really? Seems like the budget is already noticeable haha. Either way I’m pretty excited to attend.

And scaresonez. I had seen a post that a scare zone leaked and it was Clowns

Nice! This gives me hope that we’re going to get some subtle changes to the maze and maybe some new lighting/scare effects.

And scaresonez. I had seen a post that a scare zone leaked and it was Clowns
While I wouldnt be surprised if Clownz made a return, I feel like the leak in question if I remember right was kinda flimsy, given it was just a tag on a map which couldve been referring to one of the several past years the zone was around.

Murdy announced an all women scare zone just now called Universal Monsters Silver Scream Queenz. It looks interesting, and I love how he got the z in there. (I can't upload a picture from the panel due to size.)

Edit: Murdy announced Terror Tram is returning, but no theme yet.

From what was discussed at the panel, Bride and Scream Queenz are sounding pretty awesome. I'm glad they're pulling out some really obscure characters that probably wouldn't see the light of day again otherwise. Makes me wonder what could have been if we hadn't had so many cuts this year.
Also, might be stretching a bit here, but that terror tram font is looking pretty Purge-y.
EDIT: Lol kinda kicking myself for not at least checking, but yeah, its the exact same font even down to the blood pattern from the 2015 Purge tram
1628988891217.png

While I wouldnt be surprised if Clownz made a return, I feel like the leak in question if I remember right was kinda flimsy, given it was just a tag on a map which couldve been referring to one of the several past years the zone was around.
Yeah that area has had that geolocation marker for a bit now I guess someone just brought it up again and since we’ve been starved for scarezone info it just kinda caught on

I was there in person at the panel! Some takeaways:

-Bride sounds like it'll be a good maze. I dig the design for the church and the lab inside. At least they're putting some effort into the scenic instead of just throwing all of their past Monsters set walls in there. I also like how they're putting some effort into the transitions with the storybook art as opposed to just black walls.

-The track Murdy played for soundtrack sounded great until the dubstep hit. Cut that part out and you have a solid opening track for the maze.

-The make-up looks legitimately GOOD. I really like the design for the Bride and the vampire brides. I also dig the story-driven progression for the maze.

-Like the concept for the scarezone, but not a fan of the name. It's too long and too fan-fiction/tumblr-ish. I think a better name would've been Universal Monsters Mistresses (or for Murdy "Mistressez) or Mistress of the Monsters. Something more straight-to-the-point and less like a show title for the CW.

-I like the idea of projecting fake trailers for the scarezone. I wonder what took Murdy so long to come up with projections for the scarezone. I sounds like they're finally going to put a little more effort into designing the shows. Although it'll probably just be a little cart of wheels that shows screens.

-I love how he clearly did not give out the theme for the Tram knowing that the crowd would not respond well to the tired and recycled Purge theme returning. We all know why he didn't announce it. :lol:

-Also Murdy said that we are finally doing a female eccentric maze (If I recall at least), but I guess he forgot La Llorona. Happy ten year anniversary to one of my favorite HHNH houses ever btw!

Finally, when Murdy says that he loves the monsters, I think he should clarify that he mainly cares about Frankenstein.

I was there in person at the panel! Some takeaways:

-Bride sounds like it'll be a good maze. I dig the design for the church and the lab inside. At least they're putting some effort into the scenic instead of just throwing all of their past Monsters set walls in there. I also like how they're putting some effort into the transitions with the storybook art as opposed to just black walls.

-The track Murdy played for soundtrack sounded great until the dubstep hit. Cut that part out and you have a solid opening track for the maze.

-The make-up looks legitimately GOOD. I really like the design for the Bride and the vampire brides. I also dig the story-driven progression for the maze.

-Like the concept for the scarezone, but not a fan of the name. It's too long and too fan-fiction/tumblr-ish. I think a better name would've been Universal Monsters Mistresses (or for Murdy "Mistressez) or Mistress of the Monsters. Something more straight-to-the-point and less like a show title for the CW.

-I like the idea of projecting fake trailers for the scarezone. I wonder what took Murdy so long to come up with projections for the scarezone. I sounds like they're finally going to put a little more effort into designing the shows. Although it'll probably just be a little cart of wheels that shows screens.

-I love how he clearly did not give out the theme for the Tram knowing that the crowd would not respond well to the tired and recycled Purge theme returning. We all know why he didn't announce it. :lol:

-Also Murdy said that we are finally doing a female eccentric maze (If I recall at least), but I guess he forgot La Llorona. Happy ten year anniversary to one of my favorite HHNH houses ever btw!

Finally, when Murdy says that he loves the monsters, I think he should clarify that he mainly cares about Frankenstein.
Tbh, I think the tram thing was really just an authorization issue rather than it being purge related, since they haven't been too shy about announcing purge stuff at panels in the past (such as the park wide scarezone in 2016.) If anything not announcing it is probably gonna build up more hype and lead to more disappointment than had the bandaid just been ripped off.
Also as far as the trailers go, I kinda just expect it to be similar to what was done in All Hallows Evil with the screens at the end playing footage from Haxan. Maybe they'll use larger screens this time around though.

Yeah, I'm honestly guessing Tuesday/Wednesday we'll see FFP/Jabba/Scarezones/Purgealoo/Halloween4 announced at the same time.
Im just gonna bet on them trying to split it up a bit.
Maybe Tuesday H4 and FFP, Thursday Scarezones and Terror Tram. I honestly wouldnt even be surprised if they dont formally announce jabba at all and its just there when the site updates one day.

@Freak I was standing in the back with a Halloween Horror Nights 2020 mask (surprisingly the only one I've seen at the event) and you probably walked right by me. Haha.

Other random thoughts:
- I think the unwieldy scarezone title is much like the issue we see with so many movies. You have to tack on the Universal Monsters prefix so that the GP knows exactly what it's associated with.
- The Bride of Frankenstein maze in Hollywood is nearly identical to the one in Orlando. I'm curious to see if it's similar in quality. It seems like based on the presentation it may be.
- I really hope the Terror Tram is not Purge related. In my opinion, Hollywood doesn't go as hard as Orlando and that really hinders the effectiveness of any Purge related material.
- I think the biggest thing about the panel for me today is that Murdy knows how to run an interesting show that never seems boring. I really wanted to like the panel with the HHN artists earlier in the day but it seriously meandered a bit and the art director really needed to pass the ball to the other person more.

I wasn't planning on going to HHN Hollywood this year due to the repeats, but this panel piqued my interest, plus my friend is back on saw squad this year so I'll be going after all.

@Freak I was standing in the back with a Halloween Horror Nights 2020 mask (surprisingly the only one I've seen at the event) and you probably walked right by me. Haha.

Other random thoughts:
- I think the unwieldy scarezone title is much like the issue we see with so many movies. You have to tack on the Universal Monsters prefix so that the GP knows exactly what it's associated with.
- The Bride of Frankenstein maze in Hollywood is nearly identical to the one in Orlando. I'm curious to see if it's similar in quality. It seems like based on the presentation it may be.
- I really hope the Terror Tram is not Purge related. In my opinion, Hollywood doesn't go as hard as Orlando and that really hinders the effectiveness of any Purge related material.
- I think the biggest thing about the panel for me today is that Murdy knows how to run an interesting show that never seems boring. I really wanted to like the panel with the HHN artists earlier in the day but it seriously meandered a bit and the art director really needed to pass the ball to the other person more.

I wasn't planning on going to HHN Hollywood this year due to the repeats, but this panel piqued my interest, plus my friend is back on saw squad this year so I'll be going after all.
If you saw me wearing the blue disposable mask and wearing the HHN 1992 pumpkin chainsaw shirt, you saw me.

Well prepare to be disappointed with the Tram. I have a strong feeling it's gonna be Purge. Everything else is a repeat, why put effort into the tram?

If you saw me wearing the blue disposable mask and wearing the HHN 1992 pumpkin chainsaw shirt, you saw me.

Well prepare to be disappointed with the Tram. I have a strong feeling it's gonna be Purge. Everything else is a repeat, why put effort into the tram?
I'm keeping the smallest motecum of hope it could be a unique original or IP, but yep, Purge is effective and economical.

They’re not identical. In fact, there are pretty significant differences.
Orlando’s version never leaves the ruins of the castle. As such, we never see a “Vampire Hunter” version of the Bride. Hollywood’s has scenes outside a church and at the Blind Man’s cottage which will be unique to the west coast.

If you're still there and you see a guy in with an HHN 2020 mask and a My Little Pony shirt, feel free to say hello! (Or don't because he's weird. I won't judge.)

Based on the energy in the room, I'm doubting that it would have even mattered if the Terror Tram had been announced as the Purge. The response in the room to the Terror Tram announcement was more positive than perhaps any other thing. I don't hate the Terror Tram by any means, but Murdy is on record on both Midsummer Scream and Twitter in saying that that "It's a team and there's not much you can do thematically." Given that the fans in the room are as hardcore as they come (it's a niche Halloween convention with limited tickets, after all), I would say that I don't think the room would have even cared if it was Purge-themed since everyone is clearly so grateful for the event to be back.

Even Pandora's Box got a pretty positive response.

EDIT: @Legacy Ironically, I actually changed my wording from substantially similar to nearly identical when I was typing up my post. I think perhaps it's better to say that they are thematically identical with some similar scenes.

Last edited: