Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion | Page 104 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So projected attendance last night was 41,000...during the summer (bearing in mind that Diagon was brand new), the average attendance was in the mid- to upper-30,000's. The crowds at HHN are getting ridiculous and I think Universal has to do something about it by next year. If they wont bring back the 2 park layout (which makes sense), then I think ticket prices have to increase. Im sure Universal can figure out how much they would lose in attendance and be sure to recoup that money in their ticket price increase. I mean honestly as it is now, the event isn't worth the price, considering its practically impossible to see everything depending on when you go. Sure, some people might get upset but in the long run, satisfaction will go up if the event were less busy.

So projected attendance last night was 41,000...during the summer (bearing in mind that Diagon was brand new), the average attendance was in the mid- to upper-30,000's. The crowds at HHN are getting ridiculous and I think Universal has to do something about it by next year. If they wont bring back the 2 park layout (which makes sense), then I think ticket prices have to increase. Im sure Universal can figure out how much they would lose in attendance and be sure to recoup that money in their ticket price increase. I mean honestly as it is now, the event isn't worth the price, considering its practically impossible to see everything depending on when you go. Sure, some people might get upset but in the long run, satisfaction will go up if the event were less busy.

Unfortunately that probably wont happen...maybe one extra house or an extra show...

Just to echo other posts, last night earned the term "Hell Night." Streets almost impassable at points, which renders SZs useless. Crowd didn't die down either, at least not up front. At 1:30, TWD was still posted 120, while FDTD and DU held at 25. A huge number of kids last night, I'm assuming school out somewhere today.

one thing that was hilarious to me this week was how at 6:10 the walking dead was at 60 minutes already and they had a uni person screaming about express tickets :lol:

they might as well add express ticket booths on every entrance lol :lol:

I will say the final RHPS of the night was sparsely attended--even more so by the end, given the number of walk-outs. Maybe a half dozen people were trying to do call-backs. Was is this show still in the budget???

I am dreading the cancellation of this show. really dreading it. I really hate magic shows, I've never had a good time at a magic show that is showing decades' old tricks.
i rather see more singing, more dancing, more performers in cool costumes.
but we all know the moment rocky goes, another magic show will replace it.

I doubt a two park event will ever happen. There are so many x-factors that it just hardly seems possible, practical, or profitable.

Look at it this way, with a one park event they are able to keep IOA and DA open for regular day guests until 8pm without any HHN people intruding. These types of guests most likely came specifically for the parks and have zero interest in HHN so they are buying merchandise tailor made to their in park experience.

While HHN does good numbers, the most crowded nights recently have been ROF and FFP nights meaning that a lot of people have caught onto the value of those tickets. The type of ticket they buy is cheaper than a regular 3 day ticket so right up front you are not making as much money. HHN people are most likely buying HHN merchandise and not concerned about any other merchandise within the park as they most likely are AP holders or have already had day admission to UOR.

Running a two park even also ties their arms a bit as the next HHN year might not be as popular and they have to close BOTH PARKS early for the event. By having both open and running, they are raking in more money (albeit, at HHN guests and guests without parkhoppers expense).

If they do run a two park event, I would expect the prices to go up quite a bit to match the added attractions they would need to staff and to give themselves a bit of a cushion if the event is not as popular as this year's. After all, they are making a lot of money by having a packed studios and getting everyone else to spend the rest of their time in IOA, so you would have to recoup that loss somehow.

Another reason they would probably avoid a two park event is that companies can rent out the lands of IOA for corporate functions. Having a two park event at that point puts too much faith in the fact that the crowds WILL show up.

The only possible reason I could see them opening both parks is if DA and IOA were not busy during HHN this year. That reason alone seems like a bad idea to run a two park event since you are so reliant upon HHN being packed out, but it is a possible (thought not probable) reason for them to do a two park event.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I am dreading the cancellation of this show. really dreading it. I really hate magic shows, I've never had a good time at a magic show that is showing decades' old tricks.
i rather see more singing, more dancing, more performers in cool costumes.
but we all know the moment rocky goes, another magic show will replace it.

Magic shows are fairly easy to set up since the magician is mostly running the show. I wouldn't be surprised if they did run a magic show for a year or two to get whatever new thing they want to try to replace it with. I would love to see Death Drums come back as a yearly thing alongside whatever replaces RHP.

Magic shows are fairly easy to set up since the magician is mostly running the show. I wouldn't be surprised if they did run a magic show for a year or two to get whatever new thing they want to try to replace it with. I would love to see Death Drums come back as a yearly thing alongside whatever replaces RHP.

Yes! Death Drums and Evil Dead: The Musical and we are in business!

I doubt a two park event will ever happen. There are so many x-factors that it just hardly seems possible, practical, or profitable.

Look at it this way, with a one park event they are able to keep IOA and DA open for regular day guests until 8pm without any HHN people intruding. These types of guests most likely came specifically for the parks and have zero interest in HHN so they are buying merchandise tailor made to their in park experience.

While HHN does good numbers, the most crowded nights recently have been ROF and FFP nights meaning that a lot of people have caught onto the value of those tickets. The type of ticket they buy is cheaper than a regular 3 day ticket so right up front you are not making as much money. HHN people are most likely buying HHN merchandise and not concerned about any other merchandise within the park as they most likely are AP holders or have already had day admission to UOR.

Running a two park even also ties their arms a bit as the next HHN year might not be as popular and they have to close BOTH PARKS early for the event. By having both open and running, they are raking in more money (albeit, at HHN guests and guests without parkhoppers expense).

If they do run a two park event, I would expect the prices to go up quite a bit to match the added attractions they would need to staff and to give themselves a bit of a cushion if the event is not as popular as this year's. After all, they are making a lot of money by having a packed studios and getting everyone else to spend the rest of their time in IOA, so you would have to recoup that loss somehow.

Another reason they would probably avoid a two park event is that companies can rent out the lands of IOA for corporate functions. Having a two park event at that point puts too much faith in the fact that the crowds WILL show up.

The only possible reason I could see them opening both parks is if DA and IOA were not busy during HHN this year. That reason alone seems like a bad idea to run a two park event since you are so reliant upon HHN being packed out, but it is a possible (thought not probable) reason for them to do a two park event.

If this is the case then why did they even do a 2 park event in the past to begin with?
(I completely understood your post and my attitude is towards Uni, not you, I appreciate you explaining everything!)

if making a two park event is such a headache, why did they even try it in the past? was it like an experiment? I know they didn't have Potter back then, I understand that. But was the attendance really low at IOA back then or something?
it just makes me really curious because if making a 2 park event is such a problem for them, why did they even try it. Again, Im not directing my attitude towards your post but just wondering about them and their decisions

If this is the case then why did they even do a 2 park event in the past to begin with?
(I completely understood your post and my attitude is towards Uni, not you, I appreciate you explaining everything!)

if making a two park event is such a headache, why did they even try it in the past? was it like an experiment? I know they didn't have Potter back then, I understand that. But was the attendance really low at IOA back then or something?
it just makes me really curious because if making a 2 park event is such a problem for them, why did they even try it. Again, Im not directing my attitude towards your post but just wondering about them and their decisions

Honestly. Back them I think the parks were slower in October then they are now. Each day I went to the parks that was a hhn night was way busier than I was expecting. I think all these extra people going to hhn has really bolstered day guest numbers due to the heavy promotions of upgrading and stay and scream.

Apart from on very busy weekends, HNN was never truly 'two parks', given that half of both were closed. I always thought of it as more of a marketing gimmick, and a way to ensure both sets of thrill rides were included in ticket.

What if they just opened IOA after hours without any horror whatsoever? Like literally just IOA at night, JK wouldn't complain neither would Seuss or marvel. It could increase capacity by a ton

Honestly. Back them I think the parks were slower in October then they are now. Each day I went to the parks that was a hhn night was way busier than I was expecting. I think all these extra people going to hhn has really bolstered day guest numbers due to the heavy promotions of upgrading and stay and scream.

This is entirely true.

Back then, HHN was pretty much the ONLY thing bringing people into the parks during October. They could run a two park event, because they had the room to do so. Also, take into account that they have only done a dual park event ONCE.

Also, Harry Potter has changed not only how the resort is run, but also what sort of people are visiting UOR. I have heard from a few people recently that October is a big travel month for UK tourists and thanks to Harry Potter, they are all traveling to UOR. This has seen a surge in the old Universal coffers which is finally giving them a chance to take a legitimate run at Disney (the sort of chance that you do not give up for a one month event).

I will say that I agree, something needs to be done to make the event more managable and I have a few ideas, but I am not sure which they will go with (if any).

1. Raise prices: I think this one is pretty self explanatory.

2. Get rid of Express on Frequent Fear Passes: This would certainly reduce the number of locals visiting every night or, at the very least, make it so those who pay more, play more.

3. Restructure Frequent Fear Passes: I envision a system where, like the regular day tickets, you buy X-amount of nights up front and then your pass is good for that many evenings. Discounting a guest for the more nights he/she buys would make this a logical option that could alleviate some of the crowds.

4. Get rid of Frequent Fear Passes entirely: This would basically be shooting themselves in the foot, so I do not see it happening. I list it here only for the sake of posterity.

3. Restructure Frequent Fear Passes: I envision a system where, like the regular day tickets, you buy X-amount of nights up front and then your pass is good for that many evenings. Discounting a guest for the more nights he/she buys would make this a logical option that could alleviate some of the crowds.

I'm not sure if they would try this or if it would really help. I think the only way you could say you get X-nights, they would have to relinquish the restrictions or no one would go for it. If they did that I would assume that Fridays and Saturdays would become much more crowded (possibly at capacity most nights) than the other days, which would then cause a major slump in the off peak nights.

I'm not sure if they would try this or if it would really help. I think the only way you could say you get X-nights, they would have to relinquish the restrictions or no one would go for it. If they did that I would assume that Fridays and Saturdays would become much more crowded (possibly at capacity most nights) than the other days, which would then cause a major slump in the off peak nights.

Yeah, I know. Each system will have its own problems, but that was one idea of how to restructure. In all honesty, there are TONS of ways they could restructure the FFP I just felt the need to give an example of what I meant. If I had my pick I would go with option 2 or 3. Option 2 would certainly be the most profitable to them so I see that as the most likely outcome.

It would be interesting to know the average number of times that a FFP+Express uses their ticket and uses their express passes. I would imagine most aren't the hardcore power users that some of us are. I think I've been 6 times now and have used the express pass 4 of those nights, but I have also sold 3 single night express passes because of it.