Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Back then, HHN was pretty much the ONLY thing bringing people into the parks during October. They could run a two park event, because they had the room to do so. Also, take into account that they have only done a dual park event ONCE.

3 times actually, and none of them were truly dual park:
2004: Used the front half of IOA and the Production Central and New York areas of the Studios
2005: Used all of IOA, and Production Central and New York areas of the Studios.
2006: Used all of the Studios and the front half of IOA on peak nights.

...but yeah, it was done to bring people in and give them more value for a ticket that was almost the same cost as a day pass for a 6-8 hour experience.

3 times actually, and none of them were truly dual park:
2004: Used the front half of IOA and the Production Central and New York areas of the Studios
2005: Used all of IOA, and Production Central and New York areas of the Studios.
2006: Used all of the Studios and the front half of IOA on peak nights.

...but yeah, it was done to bring people in and give them more value for a ticket that was almost the same cost as a day pass for a 6-8 hour experience.

Really the only one of those three that counts is 2004 and even that was not a true dual park experience. I was unaware that 2006 used any of IOA and I know that 2005 had only one maze in the studios that was only open on peak nights (for those who have not heard of it, look up Rat Run).

I think most people hear dual park and think it really is both parks in their entirety and that having more space to work with would be amazing. From those I have talked to that went, it involved a lot of walking through dead space looking for the next closest house/scarezone. While it would be nice to have 10+ rides open during the event, the fact that at least three of those rides were Seuss related and the prospect of walking all the way from Dudley to The Mummy is not that appealing to me.

Really the only one of those three that counts is 2004 and even that was not a true dual park experience. I was unaware that 2006 used any of IOA and I know that 2005 had only one maze in the studios that was only open on peak nights (for those who have not heard of it, look up Rat Run).

I think most people hear dual park and think it really is both parks in their entirety and that having more space to work with would be amazing. From those I have talked to that went, it involved a lot of walking through dead space looking for the next closest house/scarezone. While it would be nice to have 10+ rides open during the event, the fact that at least three of those rides were Seuss related and the prospect of walking all the way from Dudley to The Mummy is not that appealing to me.

Hah, Seuss actually wasn't open then at all IIRC. So it was dead space all the way to Marvel and Lost Continent.

I went/worked behind the scenes all 3 years. It wasn't the best setup. 2004 had the most to see including a scarezone between the parks, but then the hurricanes came through before opening and decimated most of the outdoor decorations. We had the most awesome innovative corn maze/scarezone set up behind Hard Rock (which became Rat Run the following year), but all of the vegetation that had been naturally growing for the summer months was ripped off the chain link and died. The bare chain link didn't fit the theme, so some corn stalks were just thrown on fencing and it no longer became a maze, just a walkthrough zone.

This isn't true, many days as big as HHN attendance. Plus one HHN vs a summer average isn't a good comparison.

Um...what? :lol: The park holds x amount of people before hitting capacity, and that number is pretty damn close to 41,000, that's not a comparison. My point is that during HHN half of the park's rides are closed and the main attractions (haunted houses) are very low capacity...it should not be hosting numbers comparable to a busy summer day unless they plan on greatly increasing the infrastructure of the event.

Also, Im not sure where your attendance figures came from but I interned with the park over the summer...I'm right about the attendance numbers lol.

Does anyone know what the actual capacity of the Studios & IOA are? It seems I recall that one of the OU Insiders(maybe Disneyhead, but I'm not positive) said this summer that the Studio & IOA had capacity equal to the combined capacity of DHS, Animal Kingdom and Epcot. It would be interesting to see those figures. And I would assume that the Studios' capacity increased by the apx. 8,000 (apx. figure from Seth Kubersky) that Diagon/Hogwarts' Express & London added. And what's the HHN general attendance on the prime HHN nights?

Um...what? :lol: The park holds x amount of people before hitting capacity, and that number is pretty damn close to 41,000, that's not a comparison. My point is that during HHN half of the park's rides are closed and the main attractions (haunted houses) are very low capacity...it should not be hosting numbers comparable to a busy summer day unless they plan on greatly increasing the infrastructure of the event.

Also, Im not sure where your attendance figures came from but I interned with the park over the summer...I'm right about the attendance numbers lol.

Not to mention, some rides that were supposed to be open were closing early despite the park being open to 2. Transformers was down when we walked by at 11.

I will say that I agree, something needs to be done to make the event more managable and I have a few ideas, but I am not sure which they will go with (if any).

1. Raise prices: I think this one is pretty self explanatory.

2. Get rid of Express on Frequent Fear Passes: This would certainly reduce the number of locals visiting every night or, at the very least, make it so those who pay more, play more.

3. Restructure Frequent Fear Passes: I envision a system where, like the regular day tickets, you buy X-amount of nights up front and then your pass is good for that many evenings. Discounting a guest for the more nights he/she buys would make this a logical option that could alleviate some of the crowds.

4. Get rid of Frequent Fear Passes entirely: This would basically be shooting themselves in the foot, so I do not see it happening. I list it here only for the sake of posterity.

It would be interesting to know the average number of times that a FFP+Express uses their ticket and uses their express passes. I would imagine most aren't the hardcore power users that some of us are. I think I've been 6 times now and have used the express pass 4 of those nights, but I have also sold 3 single night express passes because of it.

people would fight about uni getting rid of Express with FFP and it wouldn't really fix the crowd problem. Yeah the Express lines to the houses will be a lot shorter, but everything else will be just as chaotic.
I do know how important it is to keep the express lines as small as possible but all those people still be in the park and regular lines would probably get to 3 hours.
I think FFPP should be deleted. Adding Fridays was too much I think. maybe it should just go back to being Thursdays and Sundays only.

Does anyone know what the actual capacity of the Studios & IOA are? It seems I recall that one of the OU Insiders(maybe Disneyhead, but I'm not positive) said this summer that the Studio & IOA had capacity equal to the combined capacity of DHS, Animal Kingdom and Epcot. It would be interesting to see those figures. And I would assume that the Studios' capacity increased by the apx. 8,000 (apx. figure from Seth Kubersky) that Diagon/Hogwarts' Express & London added. And what's the HHN general attendance on the prime HHN nights?

I believe IOA's capacity is 35,000...I am not sure about Universal's considering, like you said, Diagon contributed a good amount to it. I want to say it was around 42,000 pre-Diagon. The important thing to remember though is that HHN attendance figures should be compared to pre-Diagon Universal considering absolutely none of that added space is available during the event. Believe me when I say that 41,000 is way too high for an event like this in a park like The Studios.

I don't think the event will ever go back to 2 parks and that's fine by me. Works best in the studios and probably always will. Now for wondersea on the other hand.....walking dead water slides anybody?

I think FFPP should be deleted. Adding Fridays was too much I think. maybe it should just go back to being Thursdays and Sundays only.

I've been hearing a lot of people saying that Fridays haven't been as busy as the Sundays have been this year. Not sure if that is true or not, but I have mainly been going on Friday and they haven't been as terrible as I have been expecting.

I've been hearing a lot of people saying that Fridays haven't been as busy as the Sundays have been this year. Not sure if that is true or not, but I have mainly been going on Friday and they haven't been as terrible as I have been expecting.

Yeah, the last two years our Fridays were not bad while our Sundays were terrible.

You would think Sundays wouldn't be so bad since people have to be up for Mondays. Unfortunately, Sunday is the only night I can go since I work every other night of the week.

I was unaware that 2006 used any of IOA and I know that 2005 had only one maze in the studios that was only open on peak nights (for those who have not heard of it, look up Rat Run).

In 2006, IoA had virtually no Halloween elements. Rumor was someone in Corporate failed to account for the tickets sold at Publix, opening IoA was the only way to ensure enough capacity that guests with pre-paid tickets wouldn't be turned away.

I agree there's never been a true "two park" event. I still think the only way we ever see it is with separate admission to each (which is the fig leaf they hide behind when they double multi-night ticket prices, even if it means just a couple more houses). But how badly would closing both parks at 5 hurt them in the international tourist market?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the last two years our Fridays were not bad while our Sundays were terrible.

I've found Fridays often get bad sometime after 8, but Sundays start off packed from 6 pm and never let up. But I've said for a couple years now Friday > Sunday if you only have one night to visit. I'd say change became noticeable around 2011-2012.

I absolutely hated HHN in IOA as it throttled the theme of the park during the day. Imagine a black draped death with a sickle on a platform at the entrance to POE. A travesty! I felt so visually accosted by the whole thing.

I absolutely hated HHN in IOA as it throttled the theme of the park during the day. Imagine a black draped death with a sickle on a platform at the entrance to POE. A travesty! I felt so visually accosted by the whole thing.
Hmm it did intrude a bit didn't it? I remember going on my B-Day (September) during the day with all the Terra Cruentas stuff out..it was interesting..

Personally I chalk it up to four options
1) Build more houses (9, 10??) have more shows (3??)
2) Put a cap on the number of people allowed in + More event nights
3) Open some backstage areas and have some carnival rides + tented bars
4) Do nothing, lessen the guest experience and hope that people start hating the event and don't return

Hmm it did intrude a bit didn't it? I remember going on my B-Day (September) during the day with all the Terra Cruentas stuff out..it was interesting..

Personally I chalk it up to four options
1) Build more houses (9, 10??) have more shows (3??)
2) Put a cap on the number of people allowed in + More event nights
3) Open some backstage areas and have some carnival rides + tented bars
4) Do nothing, lessen the guest experience and hope that people start hating the event and don't return

Replace it with Mickey's Halloween party. That'll chase everyone away except for the Stroller People. LOL

I believe IOA's capacity is 35,000...I am not sure about Universal's considering, like you said, Diagon contributed a good amount to it. I want to say it was around 42,000 pre-Diagon. The important thing to remember though is that HHN attendance figures should be compared to pre-Diagon Universal considering absolutely none of that added space is available during the event. Believe me when I say that 41,000 is way too high for an event like this in a park like The Studios.
Thanks much. I thought it was in that range but wasn't sure. This really makes me doubt the estimated attendance figures for DHS & Animal Kingdom. Neither park has much attraction capacity so those 1 million figures are probably false projections. They would need to average around 25,000 to 30,000 a day and there is no way that happens. Supposedly they were only doing 18,000 a day during the busy summer months.