Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 156 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My ideal scarezones would be similar to the ones in the distant past.. I still dream of those flying monkeys.. It was obvious how much time and thought was put into those back in the day. I agree with OhHail.. if I see one more Purge-like ripoff in NY, I'm gonna lose it. 2015 was the last good scarezone in NY. I want to see variety that doesn't include blatant photo ops. I realize they need to cater to different tastes, but the scarezones have been crap for years. Part of the fun of our nights used to be to find a couple good scarezones and just sit and watch the actors scare the hell out of everyone. There hasn't been one worth watching like that in years. Also, when the scarezone is really good, the actors seem to play more. What was the zone over in San Francisco that year where they switched out classic mosnters in "color" and in "black and white"? I remember sitting on one of those benches watching, and one of the "black and white" actors decided to play that game where when you look at him, he stands perfectly still.. then you look away, and when you look back, he's closer. That actor was determined to go full on with the idea. He must have spent 15 minutes slowly stalking us until he was on top of us. It was one of the best HHN interactions of my life. I miss that!

Also, an announcement this week would be so welcomed. I can't believe we haven't gotten a single thing yet other than dates.
I'd say Vamp 85 was the last good NY zone. Zombieland was alright and Seek and Destroy was a very interesting concept, but it fell short.

With all of this scare zone talk, I think a good question to ask is if any unofficial chainsaw scare zones will return…

I know someone mentioned that the reason they didn't have the chainsaws in simpsons last year was because disney wasnt allowing it, because they own Simpsons now. I'm not sure how true this is. I'm pretty sure it was just because of staffing, but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has heard anything about it.

Reactions: Crowboy
All Nite Die-In: Double Feature from 25?
Yes! That's it!!! 2015 was a rockin good year!

Vamp 85 was good.. agree.. but that wasn't in NY.. wasn't that Hollywood? Sorry I suck at remembering a lot of scarezone names.. it's tough getting old.. I'm glad I can rely on all of you. Thank you for that.

One other note on scarezones.. oftentimes, my favorite zone would be in Central Park.. the pumpkins in the trees gives me goosebumps every time they do it. If I had my way, it would be required every year.. and they could build around it. But really, that area was made for intense scarezones with some of the most beautiful actors. I still think of the one (again - the names escape me) where they had the stiltwalker and he had these big wings - he was a giant bird.. and he was STUNNING. That's the kind of stuff I miss.

This guy.. 1652122907032.png

Wait! I got it! GROWN EVIL!

With talk of scarezones, how exactly would you guys want them to change? A lot of people mentioned they don’t like the photo op style zones and they haven’t cared for them in recent years, but what are some things you would do or want to see different if you had a say?

Well, as Brian said, the parade really didn't allow for large sets or overhang objects in Hollywood, Production, or NY. So there's a start. Additionally I want the street direction to work on interacting with guests as a unit, not just a snarl. Why didn't Seek & Destroy coordinate the spotlights and scare actors more? The overseer was cool but... did nothing most of the time? And that involved a dedicated group of actors *just at the stage* at all times. For nothing.

I know someone mentioned that the reason they didn't have the chainsaws in simpsons last year was because disney wasnt allowing it, because they own Simpsons now. I'm not sure how true this is. I'm pretty sure it was just because of staffing, but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has heard anything about it.

I don't think that's true, because if it was then why not place them somewhere else? I think it was staffing and being pragmatic regarding staffing during a pandemic.

My hope for zones this year would be lighter theming in the high congestion areas (ie fingers crossed someday they just do the pumpkins in the trees in Central Park and leave it at that), and more elaborate sets where there’s enough space to do so.

Coming from someone who frequents HHN Hollywood where nowhere near as much money is spent on scarezones, I think the scarezones are fine. Just would be nice to have more set design and more "scare spots" throughout the event.

I think my favorite year for scarezones was 20. The Coven and Saws 'n Steam (The Alley) scarezones were pretty dope. Coven had some great boo hole scares in that zone and being in an out-of-the-way area helped a lot. Also that alley for SnS was amazing. Too bad we'll never get anything like that again. Even a "secret zone" manned by just one or two scareactors in Nazerman's alley would be amazing.

But yeah, I'd just like to see more scenic and boo holes in the scarezones. And not do the trite apocalypse theme.

Didn't get to attend 21, but I saw they used digital mapping in the New York area on the buildings. I think it would be great if they went back to that for NY.

Last edited:
With talk of scarezones, how exactly would you guys want them to change? A lot of people mentioned they don’t like the photo op style zones and they haven’t cared for them in recent years, but what are some things you would do or want to see different if you had a say?

With Superstar Parade, they have a lot of room to work with now. I think the parades have been missing out on theming because of it. Since they can't add much to the street itself, going vertical and above the pathways would be the best way to approach it.

• Keep the Production Central zone as the "photo op" zone. It's a tight space and no matter what they put there it will become the first location guests can take photos in. Might as well keep it as a photo dedicated area
  • New York zone can be vastly improved now with superstar out of the way (if its going away)
  • Hollywood doesn't really need any changes, does just fine crowd wise (even though the concepts for it have been weak the past few years)
  • Central Park - the event has become way too busy for this zone in particular, I would argue they have to build the zone past the fence with no props on the walkway or keep it as is and make it a one-way street, but that then complicates MoM crowds, so who knows.
  • San Francisco - stop using it or stop putting props in the middle of the pathways and expand it to include the area in front of Richter's
I also think they need to add more areas with minor Halloween theming dedicated for photo ops just to see if people are still taking photos in the middle of zones.

Speaking of capacity, adding an additional house isn't the solution. Ideally, USF would have an additional thrill coaster that could draw crowds. Transformer's doesn't seem to move the needle much. If only F&F was a coaster.

Ok good I don't have to dance around Blake leaving (it was amicable).

The parade being gone is probably the most excited I've been about streets in, forever? Three streets are directly affected by the change plus Central Park's south entrance is affected. Even if things don't change too much, just imagine what they'll be able to accomplish by keeping things out all day and not having to move in and out objects.

Fully agreed, I wish Blake all the best, though it was definitely time for some new blood, especially if the daytime parade is finally gone.
I've been yearning for the return of the bigger, more elaborate sets that could be out during the day. That alone can open up so much potential for the zones. Now personally, I'd prefer Central Park being more lighting/atmospheric music than proper zone due to cramped space, the same can be said for San Fran since multiple stages and that spot just don't work. But for the other zones, go ham!

Sometimes when I get on the passholder website to check for the passholder room rates it directs me to a new passholder page and this time, when I checked - under cabana bay it said "stay here for extra screams". When I clicked on it it said "Unique experience and lounge available". Looks like they are gonna dress up the Swizzle lounge again and do the photo op this year.

Sometimes when I get on the passholder website to check for the passholder room rates it directs me to a new passholder page and this time, when I checked - under cabana bay it said "stay here for extra screams". When I clicked on it it said "Unique experience and lounge available". Looks like they are gonna dress up the Swizzle lounge again and do the photo op this year.

If they do the photo op, they better not hype it up and not require a line for it. I want those 5 minutes back

Status
Not open for further replies.