Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is every year. And it's been pretty much the same going back to IoA Adventure days, just more of it now because there are more fans. Discussion dies even more come October, when the general public is just discovering the event, other then two or three posters being shot down by the mods from trying to jump-start next year's speculation.

The hypothetical event in everyone's head -- with a potential anime house, and an obscure death metal band house, and a loving re-creation of every set from Creature from the Black Lagoon including water, or whatever else they happen to be into -- will never match up to the real thing, which, every year, is 90% a new coat of paint over the same old chassis of beautiful façades, funhouse gags and jump scares. Plus the general desire to prove one's fandom by knowing more than everyone else. (This pre-dates the internet, I remember friends scouring Bantha Tracks so they could brag they had the inside scoop on Star Wars II.) This is the nature of fandom. HHN just makes it easier by giving us a new event with 10 new E-tickets every single year.

same-as-it-ever-was.gif

The interactive websites made up for that.

But yeah, they don't have to put much effort when they know they'll make a ton of $ no matter what.

Which as Brian said didn't go up till the announcements.

With all the talk and speculation all over the internet about HHN, they don’t need to do anything. People here and everywhere speculating, theorizing, and obsessing is doing more than any paid marketing campaign.

I got confirmation today of five IPs, and all of them have been mentioned ad infinitum here and on all the other places on the internet, with no surprises.

There are still three months until things kick off, which is more than enough time to announce everything.

For several years (including the aughts) EVERYTHING was announced the last Thursday of August. The slow build sites occurred from 2004 through 2009 but, as nice as the websites were, they invited a lot of “What does it MEAN” based spec that could be infinitely more insufferable than “what’s happening.”

For several years (including the aughts) EVERYTHING was announced the last Thursday of August. The slow build sites occurred from 2004 through 2009 but, as nice as the websites were, they invited a lot of “What does it MEAN” based spec that could be infinitely more insufferable than “what’s happening.”
I don't know anything about website development, but is it wrong to assume that the same type of game playing websites Universal used back in the day, would take far less resources and funds to create in 2023? I feel like technology has evolved and it would take very little effort to have some fun with all types of fans like they did back in the day.

Again, no knowledge of how this is all done, but I'm just curious.

I don't know anything about website development, but is it wrong to assume that the same type of game playing websites Universal used back in the day, would take far less resources and funds to create in 2023? I feel like technology has evolved and it would take very little effort to have some fun with all types of fans like they did back in the day.

So my understanding is that it's not necessarily easier, just different. Flash was replaced by HTML5 <canvas> which is a lot heavier on the Javascript. One of the upsides of Flash was that it had a really good editor that abstracted a lot of the coding away from the artist/user. There are a lot more Javascript game frameworks nowadays but I don't know if they're quite as easy for non-developers to use as Flash was. So maybe easier for someone technical but harder for someone non-technical.

But I'm more of a mobile/backend engineer these days so I could be totally off base here.

Doesn't mean I haven't thought of trying my hand of trying my hand at a fan made new old-school HHN website :)

Probably, but HHN has 10x the exposure it used to. Now that it’s a major corporate event (with UO growing significantly along with it) it needs major corporate oversight from the bureaucracy. It’s not about the time and resources of the HHN team, but of Legal, Marketing, etc.

When did you typically get the full event drop in those years?
The full event? Usually mid to late August.

The first teasers were usually around June. For example, HHN 19 - they first teased the "Big 3" IPs of Wolfman, Saw, and Chucky along with basic event dates and info on June 25th (to which the website updated with hints and stuff). We got the full drop and theme reveal on Aug 27th.

Granted, the event started Sept. 25 but it just shows how much things have changed.

Probably, but HHN has 10x the exposure it used to. Now that it’s a major corporate event (with UO growing significantly along with it) it needs major corporate oversight from the bureaucracy. It’s not about the time and resources of the HHN team, but of Legal, Marketing, etc.
Gotcha, so too many penny-pinching cooks in the kitchen, putting their hands in the cookie jar

With all the talk and speculation all over the internet about HHN, they don’t need to do anything. People here and everywhere speculating, theorizing, and obsessing is doing more than any paid marketing campaign.

I got confirmation today of five IPs

This. I honestly don’t know why they would be in too big of a hurry to announce. One thing we do know is that once the announcements stop the obsessing & spec stops ….. briefly.

Gotcha, so too many penny-pinching cooks in the kitchen, putting their hands in the cookie jar
I’d imagine it’s that…with UOR’s focus on digital transformation over the past several years I figure they’ve built out a more robust attribution model, so projects like a website need assigned T-shirt sizes and sprint projections to ensure there’s a budgetary justification for it (compared to back in the day when, from what I understand, HHN was a more guerilla-style team). But HHN is also now the face of a major resort with international attendance and major contracts with Warner Bros, Nintendo, etc., which I have to imagine means everything that gets published in a guest-facing setting goes through various rounds of legal approvals. One single site with a few informational pages is a lot easier to bang out and get signed off on than interactive web pages and games.

Status
Not open for further replies.