Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 362 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm amazed that there's even enough room back there to do that.

Yeah, there's a surprising amount of space back there, it just didn't seem like it since they stored all sorts of things back there.

Either way, I'm very glad they're finally doing a backstage setup where the queue portals and exit are backstage with the houses, allowing you to hit those houses however you want before making your way back into the park.

You know they once planned to squeeze JPRA in that back corner before IOA became a thing

Also those service roads are wide-ish

Yeah, there's a surprising amount of space back there, it just didn't seem like it since they stored all sorts of things back there.

Either way, I'm very glad they're finally doing a backstage setup where the queue portals and exit are backstage with the houses, allowing you to hit those houses however you want before making your way back into the park.
Yeah, I mostly meant that I'm surprised they're able to use that much of the service road because they.. probably need to use the service road during the event lol

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I want you to all listen to me very clearly when I say this. And I say it not as a joke or an insult to this year's creative team. If you keep your expectations very low, you will have a good time.

The budgets were cut down because Epic is coming and the park feels it and they can only do so much with the money they have. Have a drink, go enjoy and don't think too hard.

I want you to all listen to me very clearly when I say this. And I say it not as a joke or an insult to this year's creative team. If you keep your expectations very low, you will have a good time.

The budgets were cut down because Epic is coming and the park feels it and they can only do so much with the money they have. Have a drink, go enjoy and don't think too hard.
Does this apply to the houses themselves?

Yeah, I just don't know that a lineup that has so much puppetry, animatronics, and media can really be the result of the massive budget cuts being implied here. Blumhouse is about the same level as Crypt TV and a few other zones in that area. Swamp is decked out, and Torture Faire looks to be par for the course in terms of NY zones of the last few years. The real disappointments look to be Dream Queens, which feels like it could've been a late-in-the-game pivot, and the icon "zone," which could speak to the fact that the whole idea feels a little underbaked.

Sometimes stuff just doesn't hit, or the stars don't align between marketing/merch/design teams. I also wouldn't judge the event based on preview -- stuff isn't done, and many venues were understaffed. Most people had very positive things to say about a majority of the houses!

Yeah, I just don't know that a lineup that has so much puppetry, animatronics, and media can really be the result of the massive budget cuts being implied here. Blumhouse is about the same level as Crypt TV and a few other zones in that area. Swamp is decked out, and Torture Faire looks to be par for the course in terms of NY zones of the last few years. The real disappointments look to be Dream Queens, which feels like it could've been a late-in-the-game pivot, and the icon "zone," which could speak to the fact that the whole idea feels a little underbaked.

Sometimes stuff just doesn't hit, or the stars don't align between marketing/merch/design teams. I also wouldn't judge the event based on preview -- stuff isn't done, and many venues were understaffed. Most people had very positive things to say about a majority of the houses!
The scarezones do seem to have suffered heavily from a limited budget. This is especially true of Queens, which isn't great because Hollywood should be the crown jewel of zones. As much as I love the zones (more then many, I expect), the houses remain the meat of the event. I'm very eager to hear a lot of reviews to make sure we don't have any more Chuckys.

I've been trying to avoid spoilers, so I haven't heard a ton. The little bits my TM friends have told me about sound really positive and wonderful so far though. Definitely lifted my expectations a bit, especially for off-beat additions like A Quiet Place and Slaughter Sinema 2 that could totally misfire with the wrong execution. Interested to see how much of it is TM Preview Night Hype / my friends' personal taste VS my own impressions.

The scarezones do seem to have suffered heavily from a limited budget. This is especially true of Queens, which isn't great because Hollywood should be the crown jewel of zones. As much as I love the zones (more then many, I expect), the houses remain the meat of the event. I'm very eager to hear a lot of reviews to make sure we don't have any more Chuckys.
the houses will be great,
but yeah I see it, the costumes this year look pretty off. look kinda cheapy. and the street props as well. I know I was told that the ren faire is supposed to look cheap or it's mean to be cheapy looking, but the demons zone seems that way as well, and the icon zone too, and the blumhouse zone seems minimalistic.
the houses are probably great, I'm sure, but the streets seem like they took a hard hit.
( its not only a budget thing because demon queens and blumhouse or the icons zone could have had props or decorations from past zones maybe? )

Last edited:

My statement is only quantifiable in the feeling you'll have, walking around the event. It's hard to place exact words, other than it doesn't feel the same as it has in the past. I thought it was just something I was experiencing, but I asked several other diehard friends of mine and they felt it too.

Obviously everyone has their own tastes, but there will at least be some of you that go, who will know exactly what I'm talking about.

It's still HHN and there's no place in the world I'd rather be for 2 months. It's just not the event I'm used to. At least for this year.

I've been trying my darndest to avoid spoilers, but really I've heard nothing but positive things for every house with the exception of Museum.
I'm still very excited for the houses, don't get me wrong, I'm super excited. I believe that I will love most of them. or all of them lol. ( sad to hear about museum but I think it's going to be nice. )

My statement is only quantifiable in the feeling you'll have, walking around the event. It's hard to place exact words, other than it doesn't feel the same as it has in the past. I thought it was just something I was experiencing, but I asked several other diehard friends of mine and they felt it too.

Obviously everyone has their own tastes, but there will at least be some of you that go, who will know exactly what I'm talking about.

It's still HHN and there's no place in the world I'd rather be for 2 months. It's just not the event I'm used to. At least for this year.

hhn hasn't feel itself for a while now. maybe since covid? but past couple years ( while they have been wonderful, and awesome) sometimes they feel like they are missing something that hhn used to have. ( technically not the houses, but the park itself?) I used to think it had to do with the music, but losing the Shrek/ minions area for zones feels like a huge hit for the atmosphere of the park and the impact that the entrance had before. that was a big change. or not having chainsaws in Springfield.... that's such a long area, I missed those so much.
( most people might not care much about the minions area being empty or the Simpson area being empty, but those were two places I loved to sit nearby and watch people get scared, I missed those alot. makes me sad )

Reactions: BoSoxFan1022
While it's a shame that the zones might not be as great as other years, that doesn't always mean a downer year for me. 2019 is still my favorite event I've attended, and I really wasn't a huge fan of the zones that year.

All reviews I've seen for the houses have been largely positive - so still very excited!

Budget cuts were inevitable this year -- we've seen it before -- but remember this event made its bones with houses done on shoestring budgets we old-timers still won't shut up about two decades later. Sometimes a lower budget can force creativity. Also, especially re: Demon Queens, it wouldn't be the first time masks/sets weren't ready opening weekend.

I hate judging the event before it's had a week or two to cook. Too many TMs/guests are simply hyped to be "FIRST!", while the actors haven't had time to learn their space and what works there. Opening weekend is about enjoying the vibes and what is basically Orlando's night before Thanksgiving, when we finally catch up and have a drink with friends we haven't seen all year.

While it's a shame that the zones might not be as great as other years, that doesn't always mean a downer year for me. 2019 is still my favorite event I've attended, and I really wasn't a huge fan of the zones that year.

All reviews I've seen for the houses have been largely positive - so still very excited!

Budget cuts were inevitable this year -- we've seen it before -- but remember this event made its bones with houses done on shoestring budgets we old-timers still won't shut up about two decades later. Sometimes a lower budget can force creativity. Also, especially re: Demon Queens, it wouldn't be the first time masks/sets weren't ready opening weekend.

I hate judging the event before it's had a week or two to cook. Too many TMs/guests are simply hyped to be "FIRST!", while the actors haven't had time to learn their space and what works there. Opening weekend is about enjoying the vibes and what is basically Orlando's night before Thanksgiving, when we finally catch up and have a drink with friends we haven't seen all year.
yeah I see your points, I guess if anything, Its not so much about the budget itself but I guess I wish they had chosen different ideas for those zones. and in a way maybe universal is lucky to have blumhouse in the park.

Currently listening to the newest HHN podcast, some interesting stuff in there. The most interesting part to me is
Charles Gray saying that Goblin's Feast was his first pitch ever for a house. He's wanted to do it for a decade - so kinda shoots down the idea that this was a half-baked last minute idea.

Google Nightmaze or Canyon of Lost Souls and get back to me. :lol:

Currently listening to the newest HHN podcast, some interesting stuff in there. The most interesting part to me is
Charles Gray saying that Goblin's Feast was his first pitch ever for a house. He's wanted to do it for a decade - so kinda shoots down the idea that this was a half-baked last minute idea.
Last house added doesn’t mean last minute half baked idea.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95