Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Harmonious

I dunno, I'm just confused that the barge screens are inescapable all the way around the lagoon during the day but when it comes to the show it's like, barely anyone will have a view.

There are absolutely going to be some angles where you're seeing more of the wide middle section of the barges than the actual screens on either side.

There are absolutely going to be some angles where you're seeing more of the wide middle section of the barges than the actual screens on either side.
If you’re looking directly at the wide middle section of one barge, that means you’re facing directly toward the screen on the barge to its left and the screen on the barge to its right.

People keep saying fewer people are going to have a good view, but that's taking the assumption that you have to see the portal from straight on as if those images *are* the show as opposed to being complementary to what's being shown on the other 8 screens. Based on the size and quantity of barges, whatever is going to be shown there is going to be a lot more visible than the Illuminations globe.

I dunno, I'm just confused that the barge screens are inescapable all the way around the lagoon during the day but when it comes to the show it's like, barely anyone will have a view.

From my understanding, it's the other way around: the content on the tacos are complimentary to what's in the portal (or cropped versions of the same media for the areas that can't see the portal). Viewing angle is important. While the Illuminations globe was a fraction of the size, it was a 360 piece and as long as you didn't have any trees in the way, you had the same experience from any pavilion. There will be good and bad views of Harmonious and I'm afraid an emphasis on the 2-dimensional portal will mean there will be a decent amount of bad views.

From my understanding, it's the other way around: the content on the tacos are complimentary to what's in the portal (or cropped versions of the same media for the areas that can't see the portal). Viewing angle is important. While the Illuminations globe was a fraction of the size, it was a 360 piece and as long as you didn't have any trees in the way, you had the same experience from any pavilion. There will be good and bad views of Harmonious and I'm afraid an emphasis on the 2-dimensional portal will mean there will be a decent amount of bad views.
I guess we’ll have to wait and see - I guess I’m just skeptical that eight of nine screens are just showing fluff.

Word on the Magic forums is that this project is being referred to internally by some at Disney as "The Mistake on the Lake."
Gonna need to change that to Mistake on the Lake 2, unless RoL doesn‘t count because of the word river.

Maybe the show will be good, but it seems like the fundamental issue is that they got the perspective completely wrong during design. When you see the lake from above, all of the barges appear really small compared to the size of the body of water. But once you go down to pedestrian level around the lake they look gargantuan and completely ruin the scale of the entire area.

I suspect WDI will gripe about cost cutting and “we delivered what you asked for” but this whole Epcot redo seems like it’s off the rails. Sure, DCA 2.0 is a feather in their cap for taking a struggling park and turning it around, but for all they’re spending on basically three disjointed additions - and one being a replacement of the old fireworks - it really doesn’t look like they’re going to get much for it.

20c210bbab9669166e924c57cc283a7c.gif

I honestly wouldn't have been mad if they had just done a new version of IllumiNations like they had done 3 times prior in updating the show. IllumiNations had a slow second act, but overall was a pretty perfect show for the lagoon. While we haven't seen this yet, it's very clearly not perfect for the lagoon no matter if the show is great.

I honestly wouldn't have been mad if they had just done a new version of IllumiNations like they had done 3 times prior in updating the show. IllumiNations had a slow second act, but all and all was a pretty perfect show for the lagoon. While we haven't seen this yet, it's very clearly not perfect for the lagoon no matter if the show is great.
I have a hazy memory of '83 or so seeing a laser show on smoke generated in the center of the lagoon that blew me away. Heavy music ala Manheim Steamroller I think but it was surrounded by fireworks. All together it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. They could bring that back and I would be a happy camper and I bet it would be 1/5 the cost of this thing to duplicate.

I honestly wouldn't have been mad if they had just done a new version of IllumiNations like they had done 3 times prior in updating the show. IllumiNations had a slow second act, but all and all was a pretty perfect show for the lagoon. While we haven't seen this yet, it's very clearly not perfect for the lagoon no matter if the show is great.
Give me fountains, fireworks and music and I'm fine

I'm just guessing when I say someone in a creative meeting said "The biggest problem with IllumiNations is that you can't see the screens on the globe" and from there the fire began

I'm not one to care about sightlines IF what's ruining them is something worth ruining for (see Flying Dinosaur discussion).

This, on the other hand...:eek:ut:

But yes, I do realize that the average visitor will love it.

I'm not one to care about sightlines IF what's ruining them is something worth ruining for (see Flying Dinosaur discussion).
B&M is exempt from the sightline rule IMO

A friend of mine and his family just took their annual WDW spring trip

Naturally, they ended up at Epcot for dinner because...Epcot..

Anyway, he saw the Harmonius barges and asked me when it would be finished cause it "looked weird"

I said, IDK if it's done but they're going to spray water on it or something.