Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HBO's The Last of Us

So… is it scary lol
More of a Suspense Thriller. So far.

One change from the game I’m not quite happy with based on what I’ve heard that just doesn’t seem to make good sense is…
there’s no spores at all and this change was made only so the actors didn’t have to wear gas masks for a decent amount of filming.

Last edited:
Suspenseful-thriller, but when it gets intense; I think it might be the most intense I've seen in adaptations of video game horror.

My god, this was such a really good starter. Bella Ramsey especially kills it as Ellie.

A comparison of some scenes in the game and show that are almost exactly the same. Some minor differences, the best change imo being the airplane crash versus getting T-boned.

Quick spoiler/theory time...
Notice in that comparison they changed who Joel kills in the prologue. He doesn't kill "Jimmy" anymore, instead it's Mrs. Adler. Notice again how in the game, the burning farm was Louis' farm and in the show it is Jimmy's farm. I believe they are saving Jimmy for later on as Troy Baker (voice/performance capture for Joel in the game) is portraying a character named James in the show.

A comparison of some scenes in the game and show that are almost exactly the same. Some minor differences, the best change imo being the airplane crash versus getting T-boned.

Quick spoiler/theory time...
Notice in that comparison they changed who Joel kills in the prologue. He doesn't kill "Jimmy" anymore, instead it's Mrs. Adler. Notice again how in the game, the burning farm was Louis' farm and in the show it is Jimmy's farm. I believe they are saving Jimmy for later on as Troy Baker (voice/performance capture for Joel in the game) is portraying a character named James in the show.

If I recall:

Troy is going to play one of the member's of David's camp, with Ashley then playing Ellie's Mom.

If I recall:

Troy is going to play one of the member's of David's camp, with Ashley then playing Ellie's Mom.
Oh, i'm not going to dispute anything you just said (although I didn't know who Ashley was portraying). When you look up Troy's character name though, it's James, which just has me wondering if it's Joel's friend Jimmy somehow integrated into the story.

I'm really looking forward to hopefully getting some scenes of Bill with Frank still alive. With it being TV they certainly have the ability to do it, but I still wonder if it will make sense considering we've already jumped forward 20 years. It would have to be some sort of a flashback sequence.

Mazin stated here they are ready to go on future seasons.

Question then becomes: what do they do for a second season? Obviously there's another game they can pull from. But with that one being pretty divisive among fans, would it be better to go off in a new direction?

Question then becomes: what do they do for a second season? Obviously there's another game they can pull from. But with that one being pretty divisive among fans, would it be better to go off in a new direction?
I think they do in between games or something like that. We’ll see though. Maybe they jump right to Part 2. Neil nor Craig Mazin are going to change much about Part 2 though imo. Mazin loves the games and it’s Neil’s baby. They’ll change this where it makes sense as we saw in episode 1.

I say this bc I think they are going to want to get as much out of Pedro’s Joel before his death in Part 2. They could focus a Season 2 heavily on Joel and others before heavily focusing on Ellie and Abby in Part 2, which I think has enough content for two seasons.

There’s also rumors of a Part 3 happening after Factions so they could then finish out the series with Part 3 and give Ellie closure after everything she’s lost.

Last edited:
We will have to see when fractions takes place(also love the cameo of...fractions at the start of the show..lol) but they have tons of unused story. The rumors about the DLC for the first game were all over the place from new characters/telling events from the game but in different perspectives

You can adapt the years leading up to the second game and then season 3 go into the second game, then season 4 part two of the second game and go from there

We will have to see when fractions takes place(also love the cameo of...fractions at the start of the show..lol) but they have tons of unused story. The rumors about the DLC for the first game were all over the place from new characters/telling events from the game but in different perspectives

You can adapt the years leading up to the second game and then season 3 go into the second game, then season 4 part two of the second game and go from there
Part 2 can definitely be split into two seasons, but will have to change the story a bit for TV to show the experience for both main characters Abbey and Ellie when you play through from both perspectives

Last edited:
It pains me to see that Resident Evil, one of my favorite survival-horror games, will probably never get a good live-action adaptation like TLOU unless given into the right hands. I know live-action video game movies like Mortal Kombat (1995) and Sonic and we’re fun and entertaining, but something tells me the that this show might excel VERY well, compared to others.

I do hope this show shows how live-action video game adaptations should be down, especially with the upcoming Metal Gear Solid film directed by Jordan-Vodgt Roberts. Now that’s a film I’m hoping to see done right.

It pains me to see that Resident Evil, one of my favorite survival-horror games, will probably never get a good live-action adaptation like TLOU unless given into the right hands. I know live-action video game movies like Mortal Kombat (1995) and Sonic and we’re fun and entertaining, but something tells me the that this show might excel VERY well, compared to others.

I do hope this show shows how live-action video game adaptations should be down, especially with the upcoming Metal Gear Solid film directed by Jordan-Vodgt Roberts. Now that’s a film I’m hoping to see done right.
Yeah

This show proves that bad adaptations are 100 percent on the break behind rhrm

Death note on Netflix is crap because it wants to be final destination, halo literally feels like it was another show and they just added halo to make it more sellable, Tomb raider/uncharted were find movies but they could have been so much better, and resident evil honestly even the games at this point have just given up on making the stories work but in the right hands can make it work for adults as a show.

Metal Gear Solid *should* be an IP that can properly translate to a compelling 2+ hour spy thriller no problem. The only thing i'm worried about is how that film is written.

Yeah

This show proves that bad adaptations are 100 percent on the break behind rhrm

Death note on Netflix is crap because it wants to be final destination, halo literally feels like it was another show and they just added halo to make it more sellable, Tomb raider/uncharted were find movies but they could have been so much better, and resident evil honestly even the games at this point have just given up on making the stories work but in the right hands can make it work for adults as a show.
With Playstation Productions being their own entertainment studio now, we're going to see how well Sony can strike gold in terms of finding new IPs (that they already own) to bring to TV & Movies. So far Sony is 1 for 2 on their adaptations as Uncharted was a terrible adaptation of the fourth game with terrible casting.

On the film side, Gran Turismo is releasing in August and Days Gone, Ghosts Of Tsushima, and Gravity Rush are all in development. On TV side, TLOU is currently airing and will likely see multiple seasons, Twisted Metal is coming to Peacock this year, while God of War is in development at Prime Video and Horizon in development with Netflix.

Sony as a Studio needs IP that aren't Spider-Man to be profitable for them so this was a good move for them to explore adapting from their popular first party games catalog.

I really enjoyed the first episode of The Last of Us. Pedro Pascal shows he is an amazing actor although he seems to be getting cast as a babysitter a lot. ;)
The episode was close to the game but had enough(smart) deviations to keep it fresh.
1674385904911.png

I really enjoyed the first episode of The Last of Us. Pedro Pascal shows he is an amazing actor although he seems to be getting cast as a babysitter a lot. ;)
The episode was close to the game but had enough(smart) deviations to keep it fresh.
View attachment 18233
Pedro Pascal has definitely become most famous now for Wolf & Cub stories. The Last Of Us has a chance to really give him a chance to dig deeper emotionally and physically use his acting chops a lot more though (he mostly does voice over in The Mandalorian) and there's room to explore the characters deeper if they don't jump straight into TLOU Part 2 for a season 2. I can't imagine that they'd want to kill Joel off of the show so quickly and would want to drag that out so you really grow to care for the characters and it hurts even more in the show when it happens.

Alrighty, I loved it. Felt like a freaking movie in the best complimentary way.
Just don't expect every episode to be that length lol. They actually combined episodes 1 & 2 for the pilot as the first episode was originally going to end right around when Sarah dies, meaning you'd have barely met Ellie and HBO was worried that since she's the true protagonist, not giving viewers a chance to spend time with her would risk audiences possibly not being as sold on the series going forward and perhaps risk them not tuning back in.

Just don't expect every episode to be that length lol. They actually combined episodes 1 & 2 for the pilot as the first episode was originally going to end right around when Sarah dies, meaning you'd have barely met Ellie and HBO was worried that since she's the true protagonist, not giving viewers a chance to spend time with her would risk audiences possibly not being as sold on the series going forward and perhaps risk them not tuning back in.
Oh they made a great decision to make it 80 minutes then. I wouldn’t have not tried episode 2 but I do see your point. The pacing here is masterful. I don’t feel I’m missing anything from not playing the games either.

I don’t need every episode to be that length though, but I think for HBO shows, there’s no excuse to not make your premiere and finales for good shows like these (add in White Lotus, Succession…) more “movie” type lengths. The writing is so strong for these shows I love being around the characters so much.

I’m glad so many people are liking this shoe

hope Sony is taking notes and-reboot the uncharted films