Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2013

HHN 2013 has come and gone! How about some final thoughts for the event? My 2013 HHN experience was quite different than all other years. Many of you who follow the site probably remember me being the "horror nights guy" back in late July and August in terms of covering speculation and news for the site. Then I kind of disappeared. As much fun as I was having covering the event for the site, I ended up getting the chance to work for HHN this year! What an experience. It was fun seeing the event from an operations stand point instead of a guest viewpoint. I heard a lot of positive guest comments as well as some criticisms similar to what has been stated on the forums. Overall, HHN had a great year. If you have any questions about what it is like to work HHN please ask. (I'm sure you all know by now what kind of answers can be answered and which ones can't).

Luckily I wasn't on the Metro sets. Those were quite hectic as we all know. I did work at "The highest rated maze" of 2013 though. I'll let you guys figure that one out. The experience is fine. It's fun to get the behind the scenes look and see the event every night. Being in one maze for the whole event gets a bit stale because you can only get amusement out of watching the same scares so many times. I had fun though. I got to meet a lot of great people. I'd say guest comments were 50/50 on the event being great and disappointing compared to previous years. It is great to see a lot of people coming out and enjoying the thrills the event has to offer. Anything more specific Bernard?

Ah maze host I'm guessing? A former coworker was a scareactor in that maze.

Good thing you avoided Walking Dead. The operations behind that maze were an absolute nightmare.

Yep! Maze host. Yeah radio traffic was constantly about Metro issues. Our first night of chaos when we hit 140 minutes was all we needed to learn what to do to control the entrance flow of traffic to the queue. After that it was smooth sailing with the constant 2 hour plus waits.

Yeah, WD lost a bucketload of hosts and leads within the first two weeks, and so staffing it became a little dance especially since it was hard to find new people to come in for it. Black Sabbath had issues, too... including it going 10-7 for about ten minutes one of the first nights. That one still makes me laugh, as I turned to another coworker and just blankly went, "Uhhh did I hear right or did command center just announce BS going 10-7?" 

Your maze was absolutely the hit of the event, though amongst everyone I knew. While the big crowds mauled the metro, you guys were bringing in the applause. Much kudos. And I felt for Tucker and Specs every night... they went thru hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the event as in maze operations, but I was very close to WD's (and metro in general) operations in a sense. We were not far away at one time!

The highest rated maze of 2013 and now as it happens of all time is Insidious: Into The Further. Even though The Thing: Assimilation will be my top favorite, Insidious is right up there with it.