Horror Movies Thread | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Watched My Best friends Exorcism last night on Prime.

Based on a book by Grady Hendrix who is from a few hours away from me in Charleston. It seems like his work is really hit and miss. I loved his book "the southern book clubs guide to slaying vampires" and it was nice reading a story set in my homestate that wasn't just "south bad". He also did the screenplay for the movie Satanic Panic which is a blast of a film. His book "final girl support group" was pretty dodgy though. I still have not finished it. If I had a dollar for every time one of the characters said something along the lines of "I don't do (X). I am not like other girls. I am a Final Girl" I could afford to buy a better book.

Exorcism was fun though. It was campy, but in a way where you KNOW they are trying to be campy but they are doing such a bad job of it sometimes that it seems *unintentionally* just bad. I would give it 2.5 stars. Cast was really fun. Soundtrack was killer. Score seemed like a parody of an 80's movie score though.

I REALLY want to see M3gan. But more than that I am interested in trying to see Infinity Pool at some point next week. Seems bonkers.

Looks good. Glad Disney and 20th Century had the brains to upgrade this from a Hulu Original to a Theatrical film. Horror films see some of the best return on investment because of how cheap the movies are to make.

The ACE Theater in downtown Los Angeles is doing a one night only Skinamarink experience this upcoming Thursday, where the writer/director will be doing a Q&A afterwards. I already have my ticket!

Reactions: belloq87
Got around to M3gan and it's probably a 2/5 for me. I wasn't really anticipating it but my hopes actually perked with the humorous opening parody scene. After that the thing just went downhill pretty drastically. The biggest problem I have is that it just feels tonally disjointed in places. I can practically see an amazing dark comedy buried in it but then the thing just pulls back and wants to shove itself into a more serious, straight faced horror affair. The actor portraying Cadey is the best performance in the film and it almost feels like the subpar acting was almost intentional? Too many head scratching moments that also took me out of the movie (if the entire thing hinges on M3gan acting on her main principle to protect Cadey, why in the blue hell does she kill half of the people she does in the movie?).

Just feels like another frustrating waste of potential for a new horror film. I can't say I'm excited at the likely possibility that they'll be five M3gan movies before 2030 but here's to hoping they get better as we go.

So Skinamarink is in the books (it’s streaming on Shudder now) and I definitely found it creepy & unsettling enough, but, I also had a lot of trouble keeping myself awake.

If you’re easily distracted &/or have a tendency to get tired watching mostly dark and quiet movies, be careful with this one.

So Skinamarink is in the books (it’s streaming on Shudder now) and I definitely found it creepy & unsettling enough, but, I also had a lot of trouble keeping myself awake.

If you’re easily distracted &/or have a tendency to get tired watching mostly dark and quiet movies, be careful with this one.

Yeah, I think SKINAMARINK would have been better as a short (or shorter!) film.

Excellent mood, though.

Got to see Skinamirink at the ACE Theater in Downtown LA last night. Cool venue, and the director was there with host Patton Oswald to discuss the film with a Q&A afterwards. It was his first time ever leaving Canada! He was also given a gift box from David Lynch, which is pretty cool.

As for the movie, I can easily see how it's polarizing. I did like it, but think it would work much better in a theater than at home, so I'd recommend that if possible. It feels like if David Lynch did a creepypasta of a dark version of the Backrooms.

Last edited:
Interested

Last edited:
I love horror movies. I completely understand that with found footage/handheld camera type movies, you have to let yourself get into them and not think about it so hard. I loved Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch, etc... But with all that said, I absolutely did not like SKINAMARINK. I commend the guy who made it for trying to do something different and i'm happy for his success, but it just wasn't for me. I "really" tried to enjoy it but i just couldn't. My biggest issue by far was the length. If this was a 30-40 minute short film it may have worked better, but at an hour and 40 minutes it was a nightmare to get through especially since I only remember 2 or 3 scenes in the entire movie that were genuinely creepy. Maybe my experience in a theater would've been better, but I doubt it LOL

Last edited:
I love horror movies. I completely understand that with found footage/handheld camera type movies, you have to let yourself get into them and not think about it so hard. I loved Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch, etc... But with all that said, I absolutely did not like SKINAMARINK. I commend the guy who made it for trying to do something different and i'm happy for his success, but it just wasn't for me. I "really" tried to enjoy it but i just couldn't. My biggest issue by far was the length. If this was a 30-40 minute short film it may have worked better, but at an hour and 40 minutes it was a nightmare to get through especially since I only remember 2 or 3 scenes in the entire movie that were genuinely creepy. Maybe my experience would've been better, but I doubt it LOL

I felt this way while watching it. But I also may have taken gummies before watching it so I really had no concept of how long the movie was while I was watching it, I was super absorbed into it even with how boring it was. But I will say it has stuck with me a little bit. I was downstairs in the kitchen late last night cleaning up with most of the lights off and my brain started going through
what if you heard a voice saying "come upstairs"
and I got a lil goosebumps lol.

I'm very interested in THE OUTWATERS, which opens in (limited?) theatrical release this week before heading to VOD. Appears it's quite intense!

So upset there is not a theater near me showing this. Guess I am getting Screambox for a month when it hits streaming.