Horror Movies Thread | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
THE PALE BLUE EYE, which just dropped on Netflix, is horror-adjacent enough to mention here. It's quite good if you like chilly, gothic-flavored, occult murder mysteries, and this one has an excellent cast (Harry Melling, who plays Edgar Allan Poe is just terrific, and basically steals the movie away from Christian Bale, who's also very good).
Agreed, Very well acted by both main leads.

Reactions: belloq87
Finally got to see The Menu--a really great horror/comedy satire on the state of the food service industry, the service industry in general; and those who are "privilaged" and entitled to higher forms of the Food Service industry as higher end consumers.

The ending wasn't my thing, and there is one thing I would properly change; but Anya-Taylor Joy and Ralph Fienne's gives phenomenal work as their respective characters.
I wouldn’t even limit its message to Food Service, especially with Margot’s backstory. It’s a commentary on privilege, pretentiousness, creative passions, and service industries in general. It is scathing but not entirely nihilistic. To me, it’s perfect and the ending (which I’ve heard some people didn’t really like but really seen why) gives the film a glimmer of hope.

Reactions: Allison
Even Disney, universal have a lot of pretentiousness and privilege lol. The movie speaks on all service industries.

THE PALE BLUE EYE, which just dropped on Netflix, is horror-adjacent enough to mention here. It's quite good if you like chilly, gothic-flavored, occult murder mysteries, and this one has an excellent cast (Harry Melling, who plays Edgar Allan Poe is just terrific, and basically steals the movie away from Christian Bale, who's also very good).
Oooo...will have to check that out, so kind of like gothic-horror-noir!

I *finally* got a chance to see Ghostwatch and it really didn’t disappoint. Pleasantly surprised that it lived up to the hype, there’s also an actor in it that has Jeff Goldblum’s exact voice.

Other recent favorite is The Menu.

Sick was…a choice.

Ghostwatch is such an underrated gem. Definitely recommend WNUF Halloween Special and it's recent sequel Out There Halloween Mega Tape for some similar 'live' Halloween fun, though those two are much more horror-comedy slanted.

The 2018 Halloween Special of BBC's Inside No. 9 "Dead Line" is another awesome example of that idea plus it'll give me the chance to reccomend that series as a whole since it's simply amazing (though not every episode in horror themed!).

Is this the 90's BBC show Ghostwatch? If so I watched that live as a kid and it terrified me, probably the thing that first got me in to horror - that and the Madame Tussards Chamber of Horror with the Classic Monsters in there.

I would also recommend watching the Inside number 9 live Halloween special, but maybe watch episode 1 of the series first so you have the relevant background. They did a Christmas special this year that was nice and creepy, worth a watch.

Skinamarink is Blair Witch part 2. Some folks are gonna hate it and think it's boring. I was horrified. Creepy as hell and shockingly cruel at points.

I dug it. 10/10, go see it in a crowd.

Saw Megan a perfect fun film for teens

But for me it was fine, I do not understand the hype behind it. Think it has some cool ideas but not something I'd ever need a sequel to (yeah I know they are making one)

Finally got around to some movies I missed out on when they came out over the fall.

Pearl was nearly perfect. Nothing much else to say about it. More a character study than a horror movie in a lot of places, which I typically do not appreciate, but it did it so well it was great.

Terrifier 2 I thought was really great. I seemed more *accessible* than the first one while still having a lot of the gore and stuff that made the first one noteworthy. Had more of a narrative and the lead actress was fantastic. Do not worry about plot too much. There is just enough here to connect the set pieces. Characters in this one were a lot more developed, mostly, and the clown cafe scene reminded me a lot of the Gordy scene from NOPE for some reason? One more thing I will say is this thing has like Fantasy Synthwave type of score which really sells it in some scenes. I actually recommend it if you are a fan of slashers, clowns, and can handle a little above average levels or gore.

Finally got around to watching The Menu because a friend gave it high recommendation and man alive I'm upset I slept on it for this long. I went in thinking I was going to get a somewhat cliched 'cannibal' film and what I got was a bitingly sharp, whip smart, funny as all hell, tense, amazingly acted romp of a dinner service. Instantly one of my favorites of 2022. Legitimately isn't getting enough love. Ralp Fiennes and Ana Taylor-Joy both give powerhouse performances here. If you've been pushing it off like I was, don't wait another damn day to enjoy this feast!

I finally got a chance to watch Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum and I honestly don’t get the hype. I felt like it was another version of Grave Encounters, just with a very predictable twist.

I finally got a chance to watch Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum and I honestly don’t get the hype. I felt like it was another version of Grave Encounters, just with a very predictable twist.

I wasn't too enthused by it, either.

In terms of found footage (or FF-adjacent) horror of recent years, I'd put it way behind DEADSTREAM, HORROR IN THE HIGH DESERT, and the first HELL HOUSE LLC.

Reactions: Allison
Past couple weeks have been a blitz of catching up on my horror backlog so quick summaries:

Midnight Mass: REALLY glad I finally saw this, but sad I had no one to talk to because it was old news to literally everyone, haha. Tightly written, very well acted, my only gripes were small. I thought that the vampire was sooo much more frightening before they revealed it fully and it was just the same pale pale-o-sapien design we've been seeing from I am Legend onward. If they had elected to somehow keep it looking like the trail camera nightmare it was shown as in the first couple teases I would have no complaints. The only other issue was a minor one, but Ali by all accounts should not have been able to take communion, therefore shouldn't have been able to be resurrected. I'm open to theories, but still feel it was a bit of a loose end. Over all loved the show though, sad it is over, but perfect just the length it was.

The Night House: My friend worked on this so it was fun getting to see it finally. I felt like this was the right amount of show don't tell until the end, but even then I was fine with them explaining things a bit rather than leaving them ambiguous (which was an issue with some of the other films on the list). I loved some of the imagery, especially with the faces in abstract perspective locations. It was fun spotting what was filmed locally to my home area as well!

The Menu: Wonderful satire, and Anya Taylor Joy and Ralph Finennes put in fantastic performances. Funny in the darkest ways, and while it teetered on heavy handed at times, I felt like it was a great balance. Could have easily fallen into the trappings of the easy way out, but chose to stick to its guns. If it is still relevant come Halloween I really want to do a quick costume that is based on the final course, haha.

Men: This is the case of explain too little and you've lost me, haha. Not that I don't love to sit and re-examine my feelings on a film, or even analyze the message and themes of a story once it is finished, but this was one case where it just kind of devolved into absurdist territory and I couldn't follow it bravely into the dark. It has some very unnerving parts, and again, fantastic performances, but the final sequence and a few other scenes just felt like a film school student really milking the "every frame a masterpiece" mantra. Not that I don't like a good artsy, weird film, but it just felt like it was at war with itself, trying to tell a grounded story on one hand, and on the other hand constantly cutting away to "Well what do YOU think it means" symbolism and imagery.

Barbarian: Loved it, what can I say! Talk about a movie you should go in blind, I was lucky enough not to even know the cast list and was taken for an amazing ride. Spoilers because I don't even want to touch on things that might ruin the experience if someone hasn't seen it still, but I felt like honestly it was how I imagine audiences felt seeing the cast resets in Scream and Psycho for the first times. I was fully not expecting Bill Scarsgard in the first place, and then the hard rest that came with his disposal was so jarring and fun. The epitome of "Meanwhile in Movie B", suddenly we are with Justin Long on the PCH and it was golden. What a final girl too, good gracious she went through the ringer. The movie really did a great job with not making the Mother an out and out villain either, with the sympathetic turn in the last act I felt awful when she had to be killed off. Definite recommend.

Hereditary: Yes, I know, wash me with your judgement for taking this long. I can't say more than I think has already been said but I really enjoyed this ride. Multiple moments left with my mouth agape, specifically the one I should have had a, uh, heads-up on from spoilers over the years but still didn't see coming, haha. One final thought on this was that the Oscars need to get the horror movie stick out of their butt and recognize talent, Toni Collette put in WORK in this movie and shame on them for not recognizing it.