Horror Movies Thread | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Coming out and living my truth: Halloween Ends is awesome. The closest any sequel has come to Michael feeling like a genuinely looming, supernatural force while maintaining plausible deniability about his mortality - a "shape" rather than a man. Y'all will turn around in a few years once you forget the marketing.

I can see why people enjoyed it and I do really like the theory in execution but it's the end result of my big problem with the trilogy as a whole: it just feels far too rushed and overbloated with its own messages. It'll never not be weird to me that Kills and Ends were shot practically at the same time yet they are so disjointed and feel like they were made by two different creative teams.

The first Green Halloween was a solid re-introduction to Michael in the zeitgeist. You can't push whatever new things you want in there because it needs to be about returning Myers to a place of power and cinematic "weight". That said if Ends is where you wanted to go with the films and you had two of them back to back, why didn't Kills open with this idea of Corey and MM's evil presence taking over the town? Instead you get some major, major reconstruction on the lore and history of Haddonfield with the townspeople acting like morons. You had two movies to build up this idea yet they just threw it into the last one by itself and took Kills to... do whatever that was.

I also don't like the execution of the story in Ends. It's just too cheesy for me and the main characters all feel like they get the "cool" disease at some point in it.

I can see why people enjoyed it and I do really like the theory in execution but it's the end result of my big problem with the trilogy as a whole: it just feels far too rushed and overbloated with its own messages. It'll never not be weird to me that Kills and Ends were shot practically at the same time yet they are so disjointed and feel like they were made by two different creative teams.

The first Green Halloween was a solid re-introduction to Michael in the zeitgeist. You can't push whatever new things you want in there because it needs to be about returning Myers to a place of power and cinematic "weight". That said if Ends is where you wanted to go with the films and you had two of them back to back, why didn't Kills open with this idea of Corey and MM's evil presence taking over the town? Instead you get some major, major reconstruction on the lore and history of Haddonfield with the townspeople acting like morons. You had two movies to build up this idea yet they just threw it into the last one by itself and took Kills to... do whatever that was.

I also don't like the execution of the story in Ends. It's just too cheesy for me and the main characters all feel like they get the "cool" disease at some point in it.

corey could have been like a Dexter type of character where he has his girlfriend and acts like a good guy and hes trying to act charming and acting extra nice but Laurie would be like Doakes in Dexter feeling that is all an act...where no one believes Laurie about corey and she starts to doubt herself but she can feel " the evil"
there were a lot of ways to handle corey but being "robin" to Batman was really bad writing. theres no realistic reason that michael myers should spare anyone or have a work buddy. it robs michael of his danger and being pure evil.
you could have had corey obsess over michael and become a copycat without ever meeting him or stealing his mask.

and i still dont understand why they made Laurie move on and buy a house and forget about michael. shes obsessed with michael for 40 years, becomes a gun owning survivalist, her daughter dies, and she just gives up on michael and her survival instincts?
its just very badly written

I think some context that might help explain my view is that Ends was not shot at the same time as Kills, even though that was the original plan. Covid lockdown prevented them from shooting back to back and the negative reception to Kills caused DGG and crew to change plans, hence Ends feeling so different.

Some might view that as a failure of planning, but I think it shows DGG is willing to take into account feedback and let his imagination take him to interesting places (I also think people waaaaaaay overrate how much film franchises or even TV shows need to be "planned." Remember, Thor 1's reveal of the treasure room got retconned in Thor Ragnarok. Todd in Breaking Bad was not supposed to survive the first season. Discovering things in the course of creation is a big part of the magic of an ongoing series.). The interpretation of Michael as a font of evil living underground and corrupting everything around him is unexpected and unique but totally keeping in spirit with Carpenter's interpretation of Michael as "The Boogeyman" or "pure evil" - he might look like an ordinary killer but he also got shot six times and disappeared, he's not normal (showing Michael's arrest in Kills is also part of why I didn't like the film, since it completely demystifies him). Are the characters beyond Michael a little cheesy? In a way yes, but they're also like... 22 and emotionally stunted from trauma, I don't think they sounded wrong. It's also just well directed, maybe the best directed of the trilogy - the shot on the bridge, with the lights on the billboard refracted through the fog, is a great fusion of Cundey's expressionist lighting with the practical-forward cinematography philosophy of today, while that shot of Corey being dragged into the sewer by an unseen force might be my favorite shot in...any of the movies, original included. So evocative and quietly terrifying.

I'm not pretending the movie is perfect. Laurie's parts are by and large the weakest; I love the parts where we get to see her open up and be supportive, but so much of the film is about her trauma and her pain over being ostracized and those parts just don't work. It also needed a wider canvas to explore some of the stuff it was trying to explore, chief among them Allyson getting sick of being propped up as a hero, which is an important element that feels very tell-don't-show (and this is where I am more sympathetic to the folks saying more ideas should've been introduced in Kills, since these are thematic elements that can be examined in the aftermath of 2018). that doesn't change the fact that the ideas at the center are pretty rock solid and interesting, and a damn-sight more engaging than the weak political commentary of Kills.

And while I can see the argument that more of these elements should've been introduced in the earlier films - there's a reason why it wasn't, but I understand why it would've been more satisfying if it was - I'm just so, so glad that it went off in an interesting direction at all. We complain all the time that every franchise movie is the same now, that they can't stray from the formula, won't something please switch things up. Then along comes Halloween Ends doing exactly that, and it has the added benefit of being a fairly well made film on top of that.

One final thing: I was not excited for DGG Exorcist before Ends. I was worried that it'd just be drawn out fanservice, which we saw in Kills can yield diminishing returns very quickly. After Ends, seeing all the weird places he can take established IP and iconography when given the chance to experiment while also ekeing out some crowdpleasing sequences when need be, I am fully on board for the new adventures of Captain Howdy and co.

Last edited:
My final comment would be that just because it treads new ground and tells a new story in a decades long franchise doesn't mean it executes that new story well. For me, it didn't. I would agree that the cinematography was great overall and Carpenter can do literally no wrong creating a score for his baby but characters and plot and story are where the third lost me. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm no more or less interested in their Exorcist movie. I'll go into it with open eyes like I try to do everything.

walking dead finale was terrible, barely anyone cared to watch. it was as uneventful and boring as the rest of the season

Two Shudder movies, both very different vibes…

Superhost - I found myself rooting for the antagonist pretty much the entire time, I really enjoyed it though

Speak No Evil - I’ll let this tweet speak for me cause I’m still sitting here like wtf did I just watch

Reactions: anihilnation
CHRISTMAS BLOODY CHRISTMAS is a lot of nonsense, with awful characters... but if you want to see a psychotic robot Santa kill a bunch of people, TERMINATOR-style, there's some modest fun to be had. Makes the most of its low budget.

It won't be joining the ranks of the great Christmas horror films anytime soon, though.

CHRISTMAS BLOODY CHRISTMAS is a lot of nonsense, with awful characters... but if you want to see a psychotic robot Santa kill a bunch of people, TERMINATOR-style, there's some modest fun to be had. Makes the most of its low budget.

Watching now and so far the only nice thing I can say about it is that I like the way they made the Christmas lights look.

Reactions: belloq87
Watching now and so far the only nice thing I can say about it is that I like the way they made the Christmas lights look.

I did like the overall look of the movie.

But as a whole, it's very trashy stuff. Sometimes I can be in the mood for that, but I'm sure I'll never watch the movie again.

Not sure if it's been discussed yet so lmk if it has been. How do y'all feel about the recent trope of innocent properties turned into horror movies (like Winnie the Pooh, the Grinch, and reportedly Bambi)?

Personally it gets on my nerves a tiny bit. The concept seems to be designed just to gain attention and go viral, rather than focusing on interesting premises. Not saying these movies can't be good, but I would just say their existence seems to be more based in shock value and media attention than delivering a quality movie. It's also a shame though, because notably these movies are low budget and I wish there were other ways to draw attention than resorting to a cliche of asking, "what if x family character killed people?"

Interested to see what others think. Also, no hate to the people behind these movies. I definitely think they're lazy and already a tired cliche, but I apologize if any of this comes off as mean spirited or anything

Not sure if it's been discussed yet so lmk if it has been. How do y'all feel about the recent trope of innocent properties turned into horror movies (like Winnie the Pooh, the Grinch, and reportedly Bambi)?

Personally it gets on my nerves a tiny bit. The concept seems to be designed just to gain attention and go viral, rather than focusing on interesting premises. Not saying these movies can't be good, but I would just say their existence seems to be more based in shock value and media attention than delivering a quality movie. It's also a shame though, because notably these movies are low budget and I wish there were other ways to draw attention than resorting to a cliche of asking, "what if x family character killed people?"

Interested to see what others think. Also, no hate to the people behind these movies. I definitely think they're lazy and already a tired cliche, but I apologize if any of this comes off as mean spirited or anything

Edgelord material. That’s all I’ll say.

On unrelated terms; should I give the Lords of Salem and Salem’s Lot a chance?

Personally it gets on my nerves a tiny bit. The concept seems to be designed just to gain attention and go viral

Yeah, I think that's 90% of it.

On unrelated terms; should I give the Lords of Salem and Salem’s Lot a chance?

Which SALEM'S LOT?

The 1979 miniseries is quite creepy (if a bit overlong). The 2000s miniseries is junk.

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
Actually I will give my thoughts about these “What if Pooh/Grinch/Bambi turned into cannibals” style movies.

Well anyone remember reading Creepypasta back in the 2000s-2010s? Specifically the poorly made ones like Squidward’s Suicide and Jeff the Killer and others either like that or worse than that? You know the ones where they tried soooo hard to sound either edgy, cool, scary or all at once? And were often lazily written? This is what I feel when it comes to these films. I’m sorry if this comes off harsh but these really does gives me that vibe. At least with Creepypasta I can guess most of them were written by middle schoolers who didn’t know any better.

But this. The filmmakers could have created something original and novel with the material they’ve wrote and designed. Scott Cawthon didn’t have the actual Chuck e Cheese go psycho and created some of the most memorable characters of the 2010s. And it turned out well… at first.

But yeah as someone just said, these are lazy. Aw man now I’m getting Creepypasta flashbacks.

EDIT: Oh wait here’s a good comparison: Sonic exe.

Last edited:
Two more Shudder movies I’ve seen recently that I really enjoyed (that also have polar opposite vibes, though both were revenge stories) were The Apology and Sissy.

The Apology - really sad and hard to watch at times, but I thought it was well done

Sissy - super gory but a fun, twisted story

Reactions: belloq87
V/H/S '99 - I'm a sucker for anthology movies because it's rare you won't get at least one story that you don't enjoy. The fifth installment of the V/H/S series brings some really fun, crazy stories to the franchise. So much so that it's in my running for favorite of the anthology saga! In particular, "To Hell and Back" from the writing/directing team of Vanessa and Joseph Winter (the creators of the recent Shudder Original Deadstream which I really enjoyed) is one of the highlights of the whole of V/H/S to the point where I'd love to see a full adaptation. Overall, great effects work, a great tongue in cheek tone and just a fun, breezy watch.

The Sadness - I've been hyped to see this for such a long time as it comes with some great praise and heavy warning and I fully believe it delivers on that hype. The story centers around a young couple in Taipai City who must survive an outbreak of a deadly pandemic that turns whoever is infected into crazed psychotic denizens on a rampage to commit the most cruel and indecent acts imaginable. To say this film isn't for the weak of heart might be an understatement. I honestly don't know if I can even 'recommend' The Sadness in a traditional sense because I don't want that on my conscience. This isn't just a gory, brutal watch, it will push a lot of offensive buttons. Murder, torture, mutilation and rape are all on the menu for the unfortunate souls tasked with traversing the chaos. The film is very well executed, well acted, a special effects master piece and just so well done but I think you do need to go in knowing what to expect. If you can handle horror with an edge as sharp as an axe into your back, this is a phenomenal film. Just schedule a little happy time after to balance out the depravity.

Reactions: anihilnation
Finally got to see The Menu--a really great horror/comedy satire on the state of the food service industry, the service industry in general; and those who are "privilaged" and entitled to higher forms of the Food Service industry as higher end consumers.

The ending wasn't my thing, and there is one thing I would properly change; but Anya-Taylor Joy and Ralph Fienne's gives phenomenal work as their respective characters.

THE PALE BLUE EYE, which just dropped on Netflix, is horror-adjacent enough to mention here. It's quite good if you like chilly, gothic-flavored, occult murder mysteries, and this one has an excellent cast (Harry Melling, who plays Edgar Allan Poe is just terrific, and basically steals the movie away from Christian Bale, who's also very good).