Horror Movies Thread | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Talk To Me is available on VOD so i bought it tonight and I really liked it, however, I found it to be a lot sadder than I was expecting. I really wasn’t expecting it to be a journey about grief and the lengths one can/will go to feel connected again to a lost loved one. While there were glimpses of that aspect in the trailer, I feel like it ended up being more of that story than I thought it’d be. All that said, it was very good and I’m glad I watched.

Talk To Me is available on VOD so i bought it tonight and I really liked it, however, I found it to be a lot sadder than I was expecting. I really wasn’t expecting it to be a journey about grief and the lengths one can/will go to feel connected again to a lost loved one. While there were glimpses of that aspect in the trailer, I feel like it ended up being more of that story than I thought it’d be. All that said, it was very good and I’m glad I watched.
The more I think about it the more I like it. The subtext of drug use throughout presented wallowing in grief as an addictive trait which I’d never seen/thought of before. Not as scary as I expected but the presentation more than made up for that IMO.

I didn't love TALK TO ME as much as I was hoping to, but it's very well made and acted.
we just wrapped it up and I also didn’t like it as much as I hoped. found the would-be protagonist extremely unlikable and that made it challenging to engage with.

Reactions: belloq87
You didn't expect an A24 horror film to be about

I mean I guess Aster did not do this one but still. ;)

Anyone ever had a horror film you were either curious about or obsessed with; yet never actually watched?
Not exactly, but there are a few films where I know enough about them to know that I don't need/want to see them, such as SALO, MARTYRS, and A SERBIAN FILM.

I generally don't like exercises in misery.

A major bidding war is now underway for the rights to the Halloween IP for film and television.

It will never not make me sad that Michael gets reboot after reboot while Jason and Freddy are forced to sit collecting dust. Especially since they're better characters. Yeah, I said it!
Freddy is the one we need the most, but is the hardest to do because it simply would not be the same without Englund. You can toss anybody in a kirk mask or a hockey mask.

There is just one Freddy though.

Hell even Chucky would not work without Durif; sorry Mark Hamill enjoyers.

Freddy is the one we need the most, but is the hardest to do because it simply would not be the same without Englund. You can toss anybody in a kirk mask or a hockey mask.

The ultimate Catch 22. You could get so creative with Freddy but yes, that casting needs to be absolutely nail on the head (and I think it should be someone who can do multiple films if successful so going for a big name wouldn't be my approach).

Hard disagree on anyone being able to play Jason or Michael though. There is a very stark difference between someone more stiff and rigid and cumbersome under the mask than some like Kane Hodder, who literally plays Jason as an entirely fleshed out character with his own quirks and intricacies. The Hodder Friday films are some of the most wildly different and tonal movies amongst the entire franchise but his Jason always feels like the same living and breathing character, whether he's fighting Carrie, jumping between bodies, in Manhattan or in space.

Did Robert Englund say anything about voice acting as Freddy? Always wondered why they never bothered with a video game or animated film featuring him.

It’s been a minute since I’ve seen a movie as messed up as The Loved Ones. All around twisted plot that ever so slightly reminded me of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but, in the sadistic family sense only.

Reactions: belloq87
It will never not make me sad that Michael gets reboot after reboot while Jason and Freddy are forced to sit collecting dust. Especially since they're better characters. Yeah, I said it!
For what it's worth, the rumor is the Halloween series would roll with the previous anthology idea that they tried with Season of the Witch. Which is honestly the way they should go considering Michael has truly run his course.
The ultimate Catch 22. You could get so creative with Freddy but yes, that casting needs to be absolutely nail on the head (and I think it should be someone who can do multiple films if successful so going for a big name wouldn't be my approach).

Hard disagree on anyone being able to play Jason or Michael though. There is a very stark difference between someone more stiff and rigid and cumbersome under the mask than some like Kane Hodder, who literally plays Jason as an entirely fleshed out character with his own quirks and intricacies. The Hodder Friday films are some of the most wildly different and tonal movies amongst the entire franchise but his Jason always feels like the same living and breathing character, whether he's fighting Carrie, jumping between bodies, in Manhattan or in space.

Fully agreed. A real challenge with Freddy is Robert Englund's portrayal is very well engrained for any Horror fan, and we all know Freddy as a wise-cracking killer. (Which admittedly got to the point of sheer parody and sapped him of a whole lot of menace, but that's another convo.) So if you have someone trying to be that, they're gonna' be held up to how Robert did it. And there's no telling how folks will react if you try going in a different direction.

For what it's worth, the remake tried taking him in a...dirtier...direction that was originally intended. But it's the kind of direction you can't really be a fan or root for him because of that. And then they made the mistake of still having him make wise-cracks and those two directions did. NOT. work together. General Horror rule of thumb, especially for a franchise. The main monster/killer has to be likable in some way. As in legit likable, or "like to hate". Freddy, Jason, Ghostface, Jigsaw, all of them great examples! Yes, they mutilate, torture, and kill in all sorts of ways, but we still like them. But if a monster/killer is being one in a very sexually icky way, you're not going to get much longevity out of them since that's a monster the audiences don't like, and not in a "like to hate" way, either.

And yeah, Kane Hodder quite literally threw himself into the role of Jason. You know it's him with the way he moves and reacts, and he brought Jason to life in a very awesome way.

For what it's worth, the rumor is the Halloween series would roll with the previous anthology idea that they tried with Season of the Witch. Which is honestly the way they should go considering Michael has truly run his course.

I'd love an anthology film series that just has the name 'Halloween' on it but I'll believe it when I see it. People making the decisions want money and the fastest way there is with Michael on the promotional material. Yes, the returns of the DGG trilogy fell with every entry but I could easily see executives saying they put that more on the creatives than the character. Especially since with another reboot they'll likely reign back the budget again in the near $10M range.

Saw X is seriously messed up. Kevin Gretutart gets to make the best film he's ever directed, the editing is top notch, the script is clearly the passion project that the writers of the last 3 actually had wanted to write before being detoured to soft reboot and chris rock territory, and holy crap does Tobin bell deliver. Genuinely scary, genuinely intense, also darkly comedic. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys their horror a little more grizzly

Saw X is seriously messed up. Kevin Gretutart gets to make the best film he's ever directed, the editing is top notch, the script is clearly the passion project that the writers of the last 3 actually had wanted to write before being detoured to soft reboot and chris rock territory, and holy crap does Tobin bell deliver. Genuinely scary, genuinely intense, also darkly comedic. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys their horror a little more grizzly
As someone who’s only watched the first two Saw entries (and might consider watching Saw VI), will I be lost if I haven’t watched any of the other Saw movies?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet