IMAX to come to Universal Cineplex | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

IMAX to come to Universal Cineplex

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The IMAX at the theater will open on December 18th. It's first film to be featured in the format will be Avatar. Brian just sent me this photo to share.

2yxmama.jpg

The IMAX at the theater will open on December 18th. It's first film to be featured in the format will be Avatar. Brian just sent me this photo to share.

2yxmama.jpg

yup...... and that is the ticket to get. I knew Avatar's midnight release was going to be the first showing on the screen, but I didn't know the tix were already on sale....... I gots to get mines!!

Thanks for the head's up Brian/Drew!! :thumbs:

Kind of sounds like Screamscape is against IMAX:

A sign has gone up on the Universal Cineplex at Universal Orlando announcing that the first movie to be shown in their “new” IMAX theater will be Avatar in a few weeks. Unfortunately this is a bit of a lie… as IMAX does not mean what most people think it does anymore. Now fans of the movie theater at Universal Citywalk in Hollywood do actually have a true IMAX screen in their theater, but the new Orlando “screen” is really only IMAX in name only. How so? Well, this article sums things up nicely, but in short about a year ago IMAX’s CEO made a statement that the “IMAX” name no longer referred to the size of the screen and projection media used in the theater, but now simply was going to be used as a new brand name to be associated with theaters that offer “the best immersive experience on the planet.”
It seems IMAX decided that they wont make a new brand name for their “digital projection system” they are installing in various multiplex theaters around the world, and want people to confuse this new system with their 1970’s era IMAX large format film projection system. On top of this, the theaters are charging a premium ticket fee to see these films in these new IMAX branded digital theaters, and most moviegoers are clueless until they walk into the theater and discover that instead of a 76 x 97 foot wide screen, they just paid $15 to see a movie on a 28 x 58 foot wide screen, only a smidgeon bigger than all the rest of the screens in the same theater.
It’s kind of sad to see IMAX whoring out their brand name like this in an attempt to become the next big theater acronym system following in the footsteps of THX, DTS, DLP and REALD.

He's not against IMAX, he's against the idea that they are giving a lot of theatres the short end of the stick with the "fake IMAX". Basically, if you're gonna add an IMAX theatre, add the theatre that made IMAX famous. Not this new "experience" bologna.

He's not against IMAX, he's against the idea that they are giving a lot of theatres the short end of the stick with the "fake IMAX". Basically, if you're gonna add an IMAX theatre, add the theatre that made IMAX famous. Not this new "experience" bologna.

Oh ok. Well, I think the experience is amazing regardless, so I still consider it "IMAX." But, if people do not want to, that's their opinion.

Well it's not really true IMAX. It's an "IMAX experience". They still have the huge screens in other places, but to spread out the product to other venues they are shrinking it all. It's sort of like what some other theatres have with a "digital" theatre.

The "new" IMAX screens really are a disgrace. I saw the Dark Knight in TRUE IMAX last summer. It was freakin' amazing. I couldn't believe how big the screen was when I walked in. It was truly breathtaking.

A few months later I saw Eagle Eye at a brand new IMAX theater at a theater in Times Square. It was no different at all. Maybe a foot or two bigger. I paid an extra 4 bucks for nothing. It's a ripoff. I hope this IMAX is atleast worth the difference.

The true "IMAX" format was 70mm film shot on a special camera that exposed two standard 35mm film strips together, side-by-side, and was then projected with a special 70mm projector - essentially giving twice the resolution of a normal film on a gigantic screen. (The standard in film, which you always see in theaters, is 35mm film - and by basic rule if you were to blow up a 35mm image to the size of a true IMAX screen, the image wouldn't be sharp. Much like if you were to expand a VHS tape image to a large screen).

I agree with him. It really is a shame that IMAX is basically ruining their brand name by watering it down.

Press release..

UNIVERSAL CITYWALK WELCOMES NEW IMAX EXPERIENCE TO AMC 20 UNIVERSAL CINEPLEX THEATRE
Universal Orlando Resort Also Announces Fusion Bistro Sushi and Fat Tuesday Coming to CityWalk

ORLANDO, Fla. (December 15, 2009)
– Universal Orlando Resort introduces an exciting new cinematic experience for CityWalk movie-goers with the addition of IMAX at AMC Universal Cineplex 20. The new theatre opens at 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 18, with the opening of the highly anticipated James Cameron film, “Avatar.”

In order to maximize the field of view in the new IMAX theater, the screen was replaced with a special, larger IMAX screen that is positioned closer to the audience. The new theatre will also feature IMAX’s digital projection system as well as its latest sound system.

“With the addition of IMAX at AMC Universal Cineplex in CityWalk our guests now get the highest picture and sound quality in the industry – along with an incredible entertainment experience” says Ric Florell, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Resort Revenue Operations.

Universal CityWalk also announces the addition of two upcoming quick-serve concepts – Fusion Bistro Sushi & Sake Bar and Fat Tuesday frozen daiquiris. Fusion Bistro Sushi, a trendy, walk-up sushi bar, is scheduled to open in January 2010 and will be located on the upper level of CityWalk, near the Cineplex. It will be open to guests for lunch, dinner and late night dining. Fat Tuesday, best known for its signature frozen daiquiris, will open in February 2010 and will be located on the upper level, as well, in between Pat O’Brien’s and the groove. It will be open to guests from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m.

IMAX
The IMAX Experience combines crystal-clear images, powerful digital sound and customized theatre geometry to create a uniquely immersive movie experience. IMAX’s digital projection system combines two digital projectors with IMAX’s proprietary image enhancer and custom lenses to create an image with greater clarity, brightness and contrast. The images on screen are complemented with IMAX’s latest sound system, which has ten times more dynamic range, cuts down on distortion and provides a sound quality that feels more immersive, especially with added acoustic paneling that absorbs sound and removes echo.

Fusion Bistro Sushi & Sake Bar
Fusion Bistro Sushi & Sake Bar is more than just fresh, delicious sushi in a trendy, fun setting – it is the future of sushi. With brand-new wireless technology, “sushi cameras” and a robotic sushi-roll making machine, this walk-up bistro is like nothing you’ve ever seen before. Fusion Bistro blends the finest ingredients and best sushi combinations with a rock’n’roll Asian-fanfare attitude.

Fat Tuesday
Fat Tuesday offers a variety of flavorful drinks inspired by the colorful atmosphere found on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, where the concept originated more than two decades ago. CityWalk guests will be able to walk up and enjoy a number of frozen favorites such as pina coladas and daiquiris, along with signature concoctions like the 190 Octane, Crawgator and Banana Banshee, in a laid back Big Easy-style atmosphere.

About Universal CityWalk
An eclectic collection of themed restaurants, live entertainment, nightclubs, specialty shops and a 20-screen movie theatre, CityWalk at Universal Orlando Resort is Orlando’s hottest spot for entertainment, boasting the biggest names in live music, dining, dancing, movies and more. Universal CityWalk captures everything from the elegance of Emeril’s Restaurant Orlando to the rock n’ roll beat of the world’s largest Hard Rock Café. The expansive, two-tiered promenade features individually themed shopping, entertainment and dining venues and sits at the entrance of both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure theme parks. The 30-acre entertainment complex is a meeting place with a distinct attitude where guests can taste, touch, see and hear great entertainment.

I got to check it out for the first time last night with Avatar.

First impression walking in : The screen is no larger than a normal theater screen. Hardly a fraction of Pointe Orlando's screen size.
Pointe Orlando : 1
CityWalk : 0

The audio was good....... but still not as good as Pointe Orlando's.
Pointe Orlando : 2
CityWalk : 0

The seats were nice, large, and comfy. (But that's not worth the extra $ of admission). I would praise it if it wasn't for the fact that tix are an extra $4 total for two people, when this "IMAX Experience" doesn't really offer anything that a standard Digital 3D screen doesn't.

Alice in Wonderland will be the next movie shown in the IMAX theatre.

UPDATE: Shrek Forever After and Inception are also planned on being released for the Summer in the Cineplex.

Sooo I haven't seen a movie here in a while and usually attend my local theater but today decided to check out a movie here. Anyways since when has this theater had 4K Projectors??? The picture and sound were amazing and I was in theater # 1 btw. Just wish the popcorn didn't suck :lol:

Seriously my theater needs to get there crap together because this was SO much better...

So would Universal's IMAX screen be worthy of seeing Dark Knight Rises the first time? I had originally heard people saying it wasn't as big as most IMAX screens.

So would Universal's IMAX screen be worthy of seeing Dark Knight Rises the first time? I had originally heard people saying it wasn't as big as most IMAX screens.

You will have to go to Pointe Orlando as The_Bled said because it won't be playing in IMAX at CityWalk. This is because the film uses 70mm film and only certain IMAX theaters are able to show that type of IMAX film and CityWalk is not one of them.