Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster - General Discussion

I have never felt more like an outsider here than I do at this moment in this thread!
Myself, I love MK. It may be my fav park. And I really like dark rides. That said, I can understand how voters, on various rating sites, choose IOA over MK. I'm speculating that most voters are of a younger demographic that gives extra credit for parks that have a good number and mix of thrill oriented rides, not just coasters. And, as I said previously, I think the number of Disney Castle parks kind of cannibalize the Disney vote, with Disneyland doing well due to it's sheer number of attractions, and nostalgia factor. So, MK suffers and lags in the voting since it's clearly secondary to Disneyland except for size and indoor queues.

Just like a park can have too many screen/motion based rides, you can also have too many dark rides in respect to the amount of rides total in the park.

If MK had 40 rides and had the amount of dark rides it currently has that would be a nice %. But with the park only having 23 rides and around 10 or so being dark/boat rides, three being spinners, another being the carousel, the room left for rides that offer anything geared towards teens/adults is minimal. The diversity of Disneyland is part of what makes it so great. MK doesn’t have that diversity.

The park needs to come into the 21st century and Tron will be nice, but I think a few screen based rides would be welcome.
The Magic Kingdom, for whatever reasons, has gotten the reputation of being a family (i.e., kiddie) park. Where something like Alien Encounter would probably have been fine at Disneyland, it didn't work for MK because it scared the kids. Its why 90% of the new stuff is geared towards the younger set in the MK. Even Tron isn't all that - the outside is pretty much the fast part. Here the adult stuff seems to be stuck more in Studios. Epcot is basically booze and food.

The Magic Kingdom, for whatever reasons, has gotten the reputation of being a family (i.e., kiddie) park. Where something like Alien Encounter would probably have been fine at Disneyland, it didn't work for MK because it scared the kids. Its why 90% of the new stuff is geared towards the younger set in the MK. Even Tron isn't all that - the outside is pretty much the fast part. Here the adult stuff seems to be stuck more in Studios. Epcot is basically booze and food.

There was a time when MK was probably the best park in FL for horror enthusiasts (during daytime hours, at least).

I know I’m late but after losing around 20lbs I finally fit on Velocicoaster.
This was the only coaster I had left to ride in FL (excluding Gwazi, gotta lose a little more weight to get on that one.) and was excited to go and experience what all the fuss was about.

Velocicoaster is one of the best rides I really have ever rode at any park. The theming is top notch, I really like the Rapture run gimmick and how they incorporated Jurassic Worlds events into the coaster instead of just slapping JP everywhere. JW is a great franchise and I wanted it’s representation to be pushed more in the parks, and it seems we are finally getting that here.

The queue is fun, love the Raptor animatronics like anyone else. There really isn’t much more praise I can give creatives animatronic technology, it really has come a long way.

The ride itself is a rush, the first launch had my blood pumping for sure.This guy hauls and it makes me wish I got a seat in the back. The “Mosasaurus” roll really made you feel like you were toast, but honestly the inversions on this ride in general are great. The set design is really great in the pit and was fell put together.
I really though I was gonna be uncomfortable with the restraints as I found them comparable to Mako’s lap bar but it really isn’t as uncomfortable as those. Others probably find Mako’s lap bar ok but I’m a bigger guy so it’s probably different for me.

Overall, Jurassic World Velocicoaster is one of the most intense and highly themed experiences of all time. It crushes the competition. 9.5/10.

Can’t wait to see what’s next.

I know I’m late but after losing around 20lbs I finally fit on Velocicoaster.
This was the only coaster I had left to ride in FL (excluding Gwazi, gotta lose a little more weight to get on that one.) and was excited to go and experience what all the fuss was about.

Velocicoaster is one of the best rides I really have ever rode at any park. The theming is top notch, I really like the Rapture run gimmick and how they incorporated Jurassic Worlds events into the coaster instead of just slapping JP everywhere. JW is a great franchise and I wanted it’s representation to be pushed more in the parks, and it seems we are finally getting that here.

The queue is fun, love the Raptor animatronics like anyone else. There really isn’t much more praise I can give creatives animatronic technology, it really has come a long way.

The ride itself is a rush, the first launch had my blood pumping for sure.This guy hauls and it makes me wish I got a seat in the back. The “Mosasaurus” roll really made you feel like you were toast, but honestly the inversions on this ride in general are great. The set design is really great in the pit and was fell put together.
I really though I was gonna be uncomfortable with the restraints as I found them comparable to Mako’s lap bar but it really isn’t as uncomfortable as those. Others probably find Mako’s lap bar ok but I’m a bigger guy so it’s probably different for me.

Overall, Jurassic World Velocicoaster is one of the most intense and highly themed experiences of all time. It crushes the competition. 9.5/10.

Can’t wait to see what’s next.
Question for you? You stated you had to lose weight to fit velocicoaster and were worried about the restraints resembling mako. I will be trying to ride mako in a few weeks for the first time, were you smaller when you rode mako or around the same size when you didnt fit velocicoaster? I also had to drop 15 for velocicoaster and am wondering if I'll have problems.

Question for you? You stated you had to lose weight to fit velocicoaster and were worried about the restraints resembling mako. I will be trying to ride mako in a few weeks for the first time, were you smaller when you rode mako or around the same size when you didnt fit velocicoaster? I also had to drop 15 for velocicoaster and am wondering if I'll have problems.
So when I road Mako I was just a bit over 300lbs and couldn’t fit. Velocicoaster was a close call, I really just made it after now weighing 280lbs.
It really has a lot to do where your weigh distribution on your body is as well, for instance a lot of my weigh is in my thighs so it could be a problem to fit on some rides.

Im not sure you weight but if your under 275lbs you should be good, if you have some more fluff in your thighs it could be a tight squeeze. It also didn’t help that none of the ambassadors at Seaworld helped me push down the restraint at Mako when I was having problems and just told me I wouldn’t fit.

I also wore jeans on Velocicoaster as I thought it make it easier so my leg’s didn’t spill out everywhere, lol.

So when I road Mako I was just a bit over 300lbs and couldn’t fit. Velocicoaster was a close call, I really just made it after now weighing 280lbs.
It really has a lot to do where your weigh distribution on your body is as well, for instance a lot of my weigh is in my thighs so it could be a problem to fit on some rides.

Im not sure you weight but if your under 275lbs you should be good, if you have some more fluff in your thighs it could be a tight squeeze. It also didn’t help that none of the ambassadors at Seaworld helped me push down the restraint at Mako when I was having problems and just told me I wouldn’t fit.

I also wore jeans on Velocicoaster as I thought it make it easier so my leg’s didn’t spill out everywhere, lol.
Ok thanks for the info! Honestly in my opinion i think gym shorts are best for squeezing as jeans don't have much give to them lol. I'm currently 284 and fit velocicoaster perfectly. I plan to get in 270's by the time I leave. Thanks again bud!

Just popping in to say I think this has to be one of the most successful additions to any theme park in the world, ever. This and Hagrids have lifted IoA to being the best in the world imo. Disneyland being the biggest competition that I’ve visited - I suspect Disney Sea would have something to say too.

The re-ridability of this thing is insane, and exactly the kind of coaster I think every park needs. It‘s intense, insanely fun, but you don’t feel like you’ve been in a tumble dryer afterwards.

Every park needs rides you can go on again and again. I think this is Universal Studios biggest problem, as there’s a lot of similar throw you around type screen rides (Several goes in a row on Gringotts in single rider queue has been known though!)

Last edited:
The re-ridability of this thing is insane, and exactly the kind of coaster I think every park needs. It‘s intense, insanely fun, but you don’t feel like you’ve been in a tumble dryer afterwards.

There definitely feels like there has been an evolutionary step in roller coasters over the past few years in terms of comfort.

There definitely feels like there has been an evolutionary step in roller coasters over the past few years in terms of comfort.

Yeah I don’t think a coaster can be considered top tier with overhead restraints these days.

It’s for B&M to make their move into this field now

Anyone know what the scent is that they pump in the raptor “barn” in the queue? Came back from my trip a few days ago and it’s still on my mind. The candle companies need to get in on it lol

It was designed specifically for the ride, and is their take on what a dinosaur may smell like.
I don’t know if it’s meant to be an unpleasant smell or not but I literally could not get enough of it haha maybe because I link it so closely to the ride which I love so much