Knott's Scary Farm 2022 | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Scary Farm 2022

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, had heard some KSF die hards say HHN blows it out of the water this year. Very telling.
To be fair...HHN has a lot to offer this year.

I hope next year Knott's up's there game but if not cool. I'll wait for the next year they seem to be killing it

Many thanks, and yeah since you were there on opening night, there'll be differences. Especially Grimoire since there were certain monsters, effects and even the queue video which wasn't there on that night.

And oh! I totally forgot!

Calico Candy Mine Ride - So this fever dream of an overlay has returned, complete with versions for both during the day and during Haunt. Thankfully, they've given it some extra new theming, projections and storyline to help tell it better. The ride is running with the Legend of the Pink Fairy, and the legend is posted right inside the queue house so read up to learn the legend and a bit of ominous forewarning for night. For me I feel this all works quite a bit better than last year which felt like one heck of a swerve if you just rode it at night.

I am trying to get back down to the park this week so hopefully I can compare some differences!

Reactions: Water Bottle
Went to KSF last night! This is probably the most enjoyable night I've had at the event in years. The first three hours I was there, I had no lines to wait in whatsoever. The park was absolutely dead. In fact, so dead, that I decided to spread out my stops between houses to do a few rides it was so empty! On the way to Dark Ride and Mesmer, I decided to squeeze a few rides in on Sierra, Swings, and Supreme Scream and all three had no wait! Even Dark Ride and Mesmer were walk-ups! The longest lines I had to wait for was the Log Ride and Grimoire.....and a beer. That's about all I had to wait in line for.

I think the chaperone policy and bag policy are causing a dent in attendance here, but I think it will pick back up once we're well into October. I also noticed that there were hardly any kids there at all. It was 98% adults. But yeah I had an amazing time last night. Gonna more thoroughly review the new ones and quickly review the repeats.

Bloodline 1842: I'm honestly a little mixed on the shooting aspect of this. On one hand, the set-up for the experience is really well done and the shooting aspect is fun! At the same time, there is so much cool set design and great effects, I don't want to be distracted by shooting a gun everywhere. The sets in here were massive and really neat! The kind of scale for the sets in here is something I wish HHN would do. At one point I got to be at the very front of the group which made the whole experience that much better for me. So I feel like your enjoyment is totally dependent on where you are in the group. Also the ending had a really neat effect towards the end which I felt was pretty impressive for KSF. It was great, but the whole experience was so cool it felt like it should've been enjoyed without a gun as it's so wonderfully designed. Overall this was great and pushing the boundaries of what they can do and what kind of effects they can do is why I love KSF!

Overall: A-

The Grimoire: It's good to see a traditional house in this venue again. This was pretty cool because they put a narrative in this house. They continued the story from the show that was here last year in Mystery Lodge. There was a lot of neat aesthetic choices they made that gave the feeling of stepping into a black-and-white movie. Going to go into spoiler territory here, but I really liked the idea of going back in time when walking through one of the tents and then going back out the same tent to continue back to modern day. Really cool story choice. Also KSF really shines once again with their scenic here. They took full advantage of the spaciousness of the venue. We got some good scares in here as well. Well done Knott's!

Overall: B+

Dark Entities: Please.....it's time to let this go. It's not great. This should've left and not dark ride wth Knott's?

Depths: Good as usual. Got a few good jumps. Just good.

Wax Works: Noticed a few scareactors wonder out of their spots. Got one good jump. It was fine.

Pumpkin Eater: The only repeat I'm gonna actually miss. Got two runthroughs and both of them were GREAT (Moreso the first one). The best cast for any of the houses by far! THIS is how everything should operate: Scareactors being aggressive, ACTUALLY STAYING IN THEIR SPOTS AND USING THEM TO THEIR ADVANTAGE WOW WHAT A CONCEPT, and being clever hiding before scaring.The drop panel was great because one monsrter dropped that panel hard and jumped out in my face. It was excellent! Well done.

Dark Ride: I really think they should've kept it but give it the lights out treatment for next year. Oh well. Got a descent runthrough of this though.

Mesmer: Didn't like this that much last year but like it better after getting a better runthrough. Very well-designed.

Origins: Still holds up very well.Still the best set design of KSF IMO and got a great runthrough.

Had a lot of fun this year! It sounds like the cast has found their groove after what sounded like a rough opening weekend. Had a lot of fun and I look forward to the 50th next year!

Also went last night, Thursday, September 29. Did Boo-fet so was actually able to finish all four backstage mazes by 7:00 this time. Took me 40 minutes to do that last year. Then did Grimoire and Origins and finished by 7:25.

It was absolutely dead most of the night. Most mazes were walk-ons the entire night. Longest I waited was no more than 10-15 minutes and that was only three times. I thought with them relaxing the chaperone policy again to now allow up to 5 minors per chaperone that crowds would increase, but it didn't at all. At least for now. Maybe as the season goes on.

Next was the Mine and Log rides before heading off to Dark Ride, Mesmer and finally Pumpkin Eater. By 8:40, I finished all mazes and squeezed in two rides. Nighttime Log ride is nice since your eyes don't have to adjust to the dark when going in the dark portion of the ride. Did some repeats before catching the 9:30 Conjurers, 10:00 Puppet Up! and 11:00 Carnaval so two straight hours of all three shows.

Spent the last 90 minutes doing repeats until closing. Even the new mazes had a short wait towards the end of the night. I've never done so much in one night before including all the shows. Not even last year.

Now for quick reviews:

Conjurers - I love magic even though I know how most of it is done so was excited to see a new magician, even though I never heard of him (Rob Zabrecky). I thought it was only okay. If you're not into magic, the mentalism portion might blow you away, but I wasn't impressed. When magic is too perfect, it takes the mystique away if that makes sense. Skip it if magic isn't your thing.

Puppet Up! - The 10:00 show ended up lasting 45 minutes. The show is 90% different from last year. I'd say only 2-3 skits were the same as last year. Everything else was new. As with anything improv, some skits are hit or miss, but it was a nice way to rest your legs.

Carnaval Du Grotesque - I really enjoyed this show. It's like they merged last year's Doce de la Noche dance troupe and made this into a solid multi-act show. If you enjoy live entertainment, give this a watch. The acts were fitting for a haunt-themed show.

Bloodline - My first maze of the night, which I used the gun. I had more fun on my second run through without the gun and just enjoyed it as a walkthrough maze. The gun kind of detracted from the experience. I suggest going through with and without the gun to see what you like better.

Grimoire - I thought this was the better of the two new mazes this year. Excellent set designs. Was hoping they utilized the theatre for the preshow or finale. Maybe that'll happen for next year's 50th anniversary.

Dark Entities - So many things not working. This should be its last year over Dark Ride.

Wax Works - About the same from how I remember it being last year. Pretty solid maze.

The Depths - Another favorite returning maze. Really cool effects in this maze. Just felt understaffed with scare actors, but at least everything was working.

Origins - Another favorite returning maze. Amazing set designs as usual, considering it's a maze that needs to be torn down and rebuilt every year.

Dark Ride - I really like this maze, but sadly it didn't get any love for its final year and probably the most understaffed maze for me this year. Would like to see an actual permanent dark ride attraction like this at the park, even if they had to tame it down a bit for daytime guests.

Mesmer - I finally found the secret room! Yay! One of my favorite returning mazes.

Overall, I felt the scare zones had more scare actors roaming around than there were inside the mazes. Other than the new mazes, the returning mazes felt understaffed with scare actors. With Montezooma down this year, there was less reason to be in that corner of the park so it was kind of a waste for Forsaken Lake and The Hollows. They also walled off that portion of Fiesta Village containing Waveswinger and La Revolucion, although you can still access those rides, Hat Dance and Dragon Swing are now shut down.

I knew going in that the mazes might be understaffed, but I made the most out of it and still had a ton of fun. Got well over 30+ run throughs of all of the mazes with minimal waits and saw all of the shows. A very eventful evening.

Purely anecdotal regarding the new bag policy, they seem to allow bags that are about and extra 1/2" all around. They seem to be even more lenient with fanny packs. Also, they do allow exemptions for necessary medical items. Still try to bring as small of a bag as you can. You're allowed to bring in any purchase from the gift shops just outside the park so you can hold all your other items in your hand and place them in the bag after clearing security. You can also fold up one of those nylon drawstring bags and opening that up once you're in the park.

Kinda a weird question, but does anyone know if Knotts has any system to allow you to stick around in the park somewhere if you have both day and night admission like universal does? or is it just a situation where you have to know the right time to leave the park and line back up in the front?

Could someone explain how the Boofet functionally works? I got tickets for the 5:00pm slot. Assume I can get there around then (or 15 or so minutes before) and then enjoy the food/photo opportunities... but when do the early entry mazes open? Any strategies for making the most of that bonus time?

Could someone explain how the Boofet functionally works? I got tickets for the 5:00pm slot. Assume I can get there around then (or 15 or so minutes before) and then enjoy the food/photo opportunities... but when do the early entry mazes open? Any strategies for making the most of that bonus time?

This was my Boofet experience last year:
  • I got to the event at 5:15; photo opportunity with a scary actor before I was directed by team members backstage to the restaurant
  • Ate from 5:30-5:45 with scare actor encounters, who were friendly and most interestingly went out of character to answer questions about the event.
  • Because that area is blocked off, I could ride Ghostrider three times before 6:00.
  • They opened the four warehouse mazes at 6:30 on the dot.
  • Without fast-pass, I was able to get three mazes done in 20 mins before I rushed to a private area where Boofet guests could watch the scare-ceremony.
I hope that info helps…

Reactions: Clive

If I recall, early entry mazes open at 6:30pm. Bloodline will get the bigger line by far since its brand new, while the other three will have pretty short/nonexistent lines. So, you can either get in line for Bloodline or chain the other three mazes. If you don't mind hitting up Bloodline later in the evening when the line eventually goes down, you could chain the other mazes and head back to Ghost Town for opening ceremonies and head over to Origins/Grimoire.

Reactions: Clive
Kinda a weird question, but does anyone know if Knotts has any system to allow you to stick around in the park somewhere if you have both day and night admission like universal does? or is it just a situation where you have to know the right time to leave the park and line back up in the front?

Everyone must exit the park and line up to again to scan your KSF tickets.

Get there 30 minutes prior to your slot time. This gives you time to park, walk over and be closer to the front of the line for that slot. They may even let you in earlier. Last year they let me in at 4:40. Ask if you can dine at Spurs inside the park. They serve coffee, which I don't think CDR offers. After you're done eating, you can ride GhostRider with little to no wait. About 6:15, head to the gates and try to get as close to it as you can. When it opens at 6:30, book it for Bloodline. It exits to Dark Entities' line so you can do that next. Then Wax Works or The Depths in any order you want. If you don't think you can do all four by 7:00, skip a maze and head straight to Grimoire at 7:00.

Reactions: Tobias and Clive
Just got done with our first trip out to Knotts ever on Friday, and we did the Boofet! Our experience was something like this:

Had the 5:30 slot, got to the parks around 5:10ish, parked and by the time we walked over it was around 5:15. Used the bathrooms, and then by the exit to the restaurant outside of the park there was a small set of lines for the different dinner times (line up here for 5pm, here for 5:30, 6, etc). At 5:20ish they were already letting people in for the 5:30 slot, so we just were sent over to scan our tickets, get a sticker that had the date on it, and sent in to the park toward Spurs. We actually skipped the photo (ended up with a great one later on anyway) but before you enter the park under GhostRider there is a scare actor in front of a Step and Repeat where you can get your souvenir photo.

You enter the park under GhostRider and are sent over to Spurs and inside they give you your souvenir bottle and send you to one of the dining rooms. We weren't in the main room, but kind of a back one, which was fine if not a little disappointing because of the lack of décor, but probably also for the best because it kept me from overindulging even more, haha. Had a drink station right in the room, so that was nice rather than having to walk all the way out to where the food was to replenish. Food was excellent, especially when you compare it to the theme park quality pizza and offerings somewhere like Universal offers. Huge spread, lots of variety, and a fresh carving station! The deserts were also great, with plenty of variety beyond cookies and brownies.

Scare Actor interactions were amazing too! Absolutely blows the interactions at Universal's SA dining out of the water, in that they really took the time to sit down at each table and chat with the groups. I was watching, and every single table had at least one actor visit for an extended period of time, with the others floating around at least popping by to say hello. There was even a sight compromised individual at a table over from us dining with just their partner and the actor who visited them paid special attention to making sure they had an amazing interaction. We were actually rounded up by Echo when we told her it was our first time and we were traveling from the east coast, and she grabbed every one of the actors and took us outside for a massive group photo! Made the whole experience feel so personal and like we were being welcomed into the park!

After the meal, we waddled out around 6:15 into the area between Spurs, GhostRider, and the back mazes, and contemplated life choices. GhostRider was open by 6, so there was no line and I jumped on while the others in my group waited. By the time I was at the load station I could hear the little opening scaremonies below, and evidently they do a little special one just for Boofet guests ('Something something we get to scare you even sooner something something'). I got off the ride and as I was exiting the area was open and actually flooded with characters from all the different scarezones. Looks to be that they use it as a practice for the true opening, so that was a special added touch. The gates to the back open at 6:30 prompt, and from there you can probably make your own mental plan!

Overall cannot say enough about the Boofet and considering that a Universal Scream Early pass is $35 (or you pay for park admission), and their scare actor dining starts at $55, for the price the experience cannot be beat (the souvenir bottle is the icing on the cake as you can continue to use it the whole night!).

Full report to come a bit later, but the rest of the event was everything we wanted and more as first timers and HHN Orlando vets!

Wait....wait wait. So Knotts doesn't let you just in the park...if you have a day pass you have to re exit?

How is this still the system in 2022? Just give them a wrist band inside the park like Universal

Wait....wait wait. So Knotts doesn't let you just in the park...if you have a day pass you have to re exit?

How is this still the system in 2022? Just give them a wrist band inside the park like Universal

Given Knott's history with their operations, I don't ever see a wristband system happening. I also think that because so much of the park becomes scare zones and generally is pretty atmospheric, they want everyone to enter at the same time and have those areas ready.

Given Knott's history with their operations, I don't ever see a wristband system happening. I also think that because so much of the park becomes scare zones and generally is pretty atmospheric, they want everyone to enter at the same time and have those areas ready.
See that makes sense, but its still a little weird they dont have like a holding area a-la stay and scream for earlycomers to stay where it wont interrupt zone prep, like maybe one in Fiesta Village, maybe one over by calico rapids. Something like that.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Knott’s Scary Farm is back for the 2022 Haunt Season. What did we think?

Reactions: Freak
So went last night and just a couple of quick thoughts before a more in depth review: clear standout to me was Mesmer, this maze is absolutely so gorgeous and elegant with a really fresh twist on the carnival haunt. Gore-ing 20's is just incredible with their live jazz band, dancers, and committed street monsters. Had a great time interacting with one of the prohibitionists and dancing with some of the flapper ghouls.

Two new mazes have lots of room to grow and improve. Of the two I think I preferred Grimoire, but we were in the middle of the conga line so much of the story was flying right over my head. Thought the first half where we're time traveling (experiencing past tragedies brought on by the book?) was much stronger conceptually and execution wise than the second half when we re-enter the woods. Bloodline was just okay, feels way too short especially in comparison to Special Ops. I don't think the actual physical length of the maze is the problem, but their insistence on stopping the action multiple times. Too many scenes that lead us into big elaborate holding pens where little happens is like adding multiple break runs to what should be a high-energy action packed experience.

Some of these mazes need to be put to pasture. Hardly any actors in Dark Ride or Dark Entities, low energy from the ones there.

Origins, Wax Works, the Depths, and Pumpkin Eater were all solid.

Streets were just on fire, shoutout to all the monsters of the streets as they're worth the price of admission alone.

Probably come back later with an in depth review (and a eulogy for Dark Ride) later.

Glad to hear Mesmer is running well. It had some staffing and maintenance issues on opening night. It's one of my favorite concepts at the event right now.

Also, Scary Farm staged a maze bracket challenge on their IG stories, with the winner being Grimoire, by 4 votes (out of over 5,000) over The Depths

Reactions: ghostsarejerks