Knott's Scary Farm 2023 | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Scary Farm 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Hanging being back is definitely what I expected; if only that I somewhat imagined it'd just be the Midnight Witch Hour hangings. Not just, uncensored and unhinged The Hanging.

Kind of nuts that's two shows in one area, with this and Carnival. Have to wonder how operations is gonna go here.
It’s in the wagon train theater, separate venue. Even tho I’m meh on the hanging, it’ll be nice to sit down for once to watch it lol

While I did enjoy Bloodline, I couldn't help but notice that anytime I was in line for that maze, there was a very steady number of scare actors leaving the maze to go backstage, then coming back, then going back to backstage etc. I know there's breaks and all, but these didn't seem like breaks, especially when they were happening shortly after the event started for the night.

Also, to answer your question, @ParksandSights . The Gauntlet was essentially the O.G. scare zone in Camp Snoopy. (1996 - 2009) It was medieval themed, with a King, Queen, Jesters, Wizards, Barbarians, Peasants, those sorts of folks. Watching various TPA videos over the years, they had a wonderfully nutty bunch of scare actors in that zone, quite crafty too as every now and then they'd pull off a neat thing or two. The most memorable to me was the "Medieval Chainsaw", which was a large mesh bag filled with a bunch of shaker cans. Noisy as all heck, but it did the job!

Now with the zone being reimagined, there's certainly little show/story moments they can do with these kinds of characters.
To add to The Gauntlet hype, many of the great scare actors who have opened the various new zones (Forsaken Lake and Gore-ing specifically) have been hand picked for this new iteration of The Gauntlet. So the talent is definitely going to be there from the get go!

This lineup of new mazes is genuinely great, really happy to see the spread of original concept, tribute-original concept, and straight up tribute, really hitting all the bases and not leaning too far in either direction. Even though I'm hyped for the more historically focused mazes, I think Room 13 takes the cake for me, I'm a sucker for period piece houses and I'm hoping this gives me the prohibition-y goodness I was hoping for but didn't get from Spirits of the Coven at HHN. Not to mention with all the art deco and glowing green its giving very Bioshocky vibes.
Honestly I'm really take it or leave it for the shows, especially the Hanging since I've never really cared for it, but I understand why it's back, especially when you cant exactly just tell Elvira to un-retire.

The whole "canceled" angle just comes off real douchy lol
Yeaaaa, especially when there wasn't even some big outcry that got it cancelled in the first place, they cancelled it unceremoniously of their own free will because it just wasn't that popular anymore lol. Kinda really sets the tone for the humor this year.

Reactions: saint.piss
A small thought to consider but, I wonder if they are able to also justify The Hanging coming back; due to it being in a now closed theater space that they can limit or block videotaping and photography.

I think it's a good move. That way people that don't want to see the show won't be "forced" into seeing it as it will be more closed off.

I also think it could allow them to dial up the explicit nature that was present, particularly language wise considering they were able to get through with profanity for Puppet Up.

It feels like a win-win-win, allowing a wider range of jokes to be potentially at play; alongside making sure it is not only limited in access, but also in how people can see it.

I admittedly wonder if they will have to dial down though on Pyro with this so close to Silver Bullet. Could've sworn Hanging had quite a bit of Pyro in the later years.

Reactions: Water Bottle
This lineup of new mazes is genuinely great, really happy to see the spread of original concept, tribute-original concept, and straight up tribute, really hitting all the bases and not leaning too far in either direction. Even though I'm hyped for the more historically focused mazes, I think Room 13 takes the cake for me, I'm a sucker for period piece houses and I'm hoping this gives me the prohibition-y goodness I was hoping for but didn't get from Spirits of the Coven at HHN. Not to mention with all the art deco and glowing green its giving very Bioshocky vibes.
Honestly I'm really take it or leave it for the shows, especially the Hanging since I've never really cared for it, but I understand why it's back, especially when you cant exactly just tell Elvira to un-retire.

Yeaaaa, especially when there wasn't even some big outcry that got it cancelled in the first place, they cancelled it unceremoniously of their own free will because it just wasn't that popular anymore lol. Kinda really sets the tone for the humor this year.

A small thought to consider but, I wonder if they are able to also justify The Hanging coming back; due to it being in a now closed theater space that they can limit or block videotaping and photography.

I think it's a good move. That way people that don't want to see the show won't be "forced" into seeing it as it will be more closed off.
They cancelled it because it was getting harder and harder to keep jokes in the show. The video recordings by fans lead to cease and desist orders from celebrities from time to time so jokes had to be cut. The first night of any version of The Hanging was always different than the final night.

It’s part of why B&T was as vigilant about their show being recorded.

At this point, I would rather just get an action oriented version of the show without the pop culture nonsense, honestly.

But, getting some stunts back on Wagon Camp does feel like a win.

They cancelled it because it was getting harder and harder to keep jokes in the show. The video recordings by fans lead to cease and desist orders from celebrities from time to time so jokes had to be cut. The first night of any version of The Hanging was always different than the final night.

It’s part of why B&T was as vigilant about their show being recorded.

At this point, I would rather just get an action oriented version of the show without the pop culture nonsense, honestly.

But, getting some stunts back on Wagon Camp does feel like a win.
Tbh I can agree with that. It would've been kind of cool to see the hanging evolve into a more spooky action oriented fleshed out version of what it was back in the day, letting it be a nice narrative based elaboration on the events that led to ghost towns creation, and a good companion piece to origins that would really tie ghost town together as a whole multi-layered story that you pick apart throughout your night.
That said, i dunno how much that would appeal to the average guest plastered out of their mind compared to raunch and pop music riffs.
EDIT: would also be nice to get to see the Green Witch have more influence over the 50th to round things out, since The Conductor is essentially the icon of Ghost Town Streets, and The Keeper has his own whole maze, it wouldve been cool to let Sarah Marshall have a big show front and center to round out our pseudo-icon trio of recent years.

So these lanterns apparently interact with things in the houses and scare zones. An event with notoriously bad operations and line management decides to introduce something that will undoubtedly lead to even more operational and line management issues? And they’re gonna charge customers $40 for the privilege? Hard pass.

Between this and the decision to bring back The Hanging, I feel like this event is being run by middle schoolers. Really wish there was a low tier ticket option to just do the new mazes because they do seem interesting, but I’d rather watch paint dry than do Dark Entities or The Depths again. Looking like another skip year for me.

Reactions: chris.g and Jake S
So these lanterns apparently interact with things in the houses and scare zones. An event with notoriously bad operations and line management decides to introduce something that will undoubtedly lead to even more operational and line management issues? And they’re gonna charge customers $40 for the privilege? Hard pass.

Between this and the decision to bring back The Hanging, I feel like this event is being run by middle schoolers. Really wish there was a low tier ticket option to just do the new mazes because they do seem interesting, but I’d rather watch paint dry than do Dark Entities or The Depths again. Looking like another skip year for me.

Can't be any worse than the skeleton key.

Reactions: Freak
Alrighty, I’m home and have a lot of thoughts. This announcement event had a ton to do, and almost no time to do it all.

The actual announcement was great. Lots of energy from the fans, although there wasn’t much need for a co-host. I’m generally pleased with the entertainment offerings and new mazes this year.

The “no-boo” necklaces got a massive and I mean massive boo from that crowd. I knew it would happen, but I didn’t expect it to be that bad. Speaking of jeers, Dark Entities got some serious groans when it was announced but huge cheers when they mentioned it would be the last year.

The Legacy Store is incredible. It’s execution is beautiful but its very tough to get in and out of. I think fans will appreciate it and if tonight was any indication, that line will be slow and long. The line also snakes right next to Wax Works, so I can already see the confusion from guests about which line is for what.

Regarding the lanterns, I think they are a great addition to the event. That being said, they shouldn’t have any use in the mazes. It seems silly to have something that you may need to set down or use a certain way that will almost undoubtedly bog down the lines even more.

I wouldn’t bank on them doing this type of event again, at least in this kind of way. I hope they bring back the preview night in the theater and shrink it back down to basics next year.

I’m sure as more thoughts come to me I’ll post them here but feel free to ask anything if you weren’t at the event!

YESSSSS

The Hanging is back, I won't be able to go this year because of money but I hope people like it and in the future it's there

L opinion

Sorry you feel this way but I think this is shaping up to be the best haunt in years. New mazes IMO strike a perfect balance of offering something fresh and new and also honoring their legacy and the entertainment sounds great!

I will say though I hear your concerns regarding the lantern. Don’t know how it will work but I imagine it will be similar to the Skeleton Key? Possibly? Hopefully the interactions won’t be smack in the middle of the path and hold up the line.

Room 13 has the potential to be my absolute favorite haunt of all time, so to say I'm excited is an understatement.

Whatever your feelings are about The Hanging, I will say that going to Scary Farm every year I never quite know what to expect and the event always feels fresh year-after-year, even with returning mazes, and I'm consistently surprised me with their decisions.

HHN on both coasts, but mostly Orlando, reuses so much of their bag of tricks that the only real difference between most haunts is the scenery IMO. I love both events, but when every single scare is just a boohole in every haunt, there's not many surprises.

And that's why I'm happy to see The Hanging return- I doubt Universal will ever bring back Bill & Ted, so to see that Knott's is always pulling off the unexpected is a bold statement. And I really hope it pays off, because the Scary Farm team deserves FAR more recognition than I feel they receive.

L opinion
Sorry Not Sorry GIF

Reactions: chris.g