Knott's Scary Farm 2023 | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Scary Farm 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So these lanterns apparently interact with things in the houses and scare zones. An event with notoriously bad operations and line management decides to introduce something that will undoubtedly lead to even more operational and line management issues? And they’re gonna charge customers $40 for the privilege? Hard pass.

Between this and the decision to bring back The Hanging, I feel like this event is being run by middle schoolers. Really wish there was a low tier ticket option to just do the new mazes because they do seem interesting, but I’d rather watch paint dry than do Dark Entities or The Depths again. Looking like another skip year for me.
To be fair, we don't know exactly how the lanterns will interact inside the mazes yet. I have heard some rumblings of what they will do in the rest of the park, but for all we know the lanterns could just change color or feature depending on where you are in the maze as opposed to something you have to set down, etc. I am hoping that is the case.

Regarding the comments on Dark Entities and The Depths, I get it, but this is nothing new for Knott's as you know. The great thing is there will be 7 other mazes (3 of them new!) that are also there. If you skipped last year, you'll have 5 new mazes to check out. The Hanging coming back makes sense for the 50th as it's a huge part of Scary Farm's legacy. It's not my cup of tea, as I would have preferred the old midnight witch hanging they used to do, but I think the Wagon Camp is a good venue for it and allows other entertainment to be on the main stage.

My quibbles with this event are more than just a couple mazes and some lanterns. There’s no reason for me to get into it all since this thread is better served for excitement and planning, and I don’t wanna derail. Suffice it to say that these announcements are just driving home these quibbles even more.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
My quibbles with this event are more than just a couple mazes and some lanterns. There’s no reason for me to get into it all since this thread is better served for excitement and planning, and I don’t wanna derail. Suffice it to say that these announcements are just driving home these quibbles even more.
I think this is a fair thread to criticize as well as praise or plan. It’s a pretty general discussion thread, in my opinion. Feel free to share and discuss here, if you’d like

I mainly don't like the lanterns because it's just another thing I could see making it's way to HHN in some way.....

I'll be interested to see how they work but....another up charge for events that your already paying for I hope doesn't spread to more Halloween events.

I mainly don't like the lanterns because it's just another thing I could see making it's way to HHN in some way.....

I'll be interested to see how they work but....another up charge for events that your already paying for I hope doesn't spread to more Halloween events.
HHN already had something similar with the Amulet of Fear in 2018, basically just lit up different colors when you got near certain pumpkin symbols around the park. Didn't activate any effects or scenes, so I imagine even for knotts, the in-maze effects itll activate are just its own light patterns, and actual activated scenes will be out in the streets.

That is a strange reason to dislike something considering up charged items are at every single theme park and Halloween event already. It’s not required that you purchase one. If you don’t have one, you can still experience Scary Farm the same way you always have.

Last night some things were used in the park to showcase the lantern. For example if you had it on during the witch hanging finale, your lantern turned green. That’s more or less what I expect to see from these. It shouldn’t harm your experience if you don’t have one.

World of Color at DCA had those glowing Mickey ears that synced to the show and various other parts of the park. I was expecting something like that for the lanterns.

You know ball.

Okay I may have discovered some interesting stuff from the witch hanging that might bring together the story for Knott's scary farm 50th anniversary. Here is my theory on the storyline for this year's haunt. Basically, Knott's posted a new video on their social media accounts. It was the exact hanging from the announcement event closing. She says that you have failed again so this makes me think that she is talking about the first time she has cursed calico. She also says that she is going to take over calico and curse all who enter Knott's scary farm. This is going to be the backstory of Knott's scary farm 2023 and the battle between the green witch and the lawman.

Okay I may have discovered some interesting stuff from the witch hanging that might bring together the story for Knott's scary farm 50th anniversary. Here is my theory on the storyline for this year's haunt. Basically, Knott's posted a new video on their social media accounts. It was the exact hanging from the announcement event closing. She says that you have failed again so this makes me think that she is talking about the first time she has cursed calico. She also says that she is going to take over calico and curse all who enter Knott's scary farm. This is going to be the backstory of Knott's scary farm 2023 and the battle between the green witch and the lawman.
They did the same thing when they brought back the midnight witch hanging in 2012 for the 40th, and it’s part of the storyline for Origins. It’s always been part of the unofficial “lore” of the Haunt. It probably won’t be that apparent in other aspects of the event

They did the same thing when they brought back the midnight witch hanging in 2012 for the 40th, and it’s part of the storyline for Origins. It’s always been part of the unofficial “lore” of the Haunt. It probably won’t be that apparent in other aspects of the event
It actually is official lore. That is the story of how Knott's scary farm came to be after all. I'm just using this information to show she has a big role in this year unlike last year. She could hopefully be in the ceremony. All I know is the icons that are big this year is the witch because of the hanging returning and how she said she's finally going to take over calico. The conductor because his role with the lanterns and the lantern supposedly unlocking other secrets. And the Keeper his role is in the new maze the chilling chambers maze.

It actually is official lore. That is the story of how Knott's scary farm came to be after all. I'm just using this information to show she has a big role in this year unlike last year. She could hopefully be in the ceremony. All I know is the icons that are big this year is the witch because of the hanging returning and how she said she's finally going to take over calico. The conductor because his role with the lanterns and the lantern supposedly unlocking other secrets. And the Keeper his role is in the new maze the chilling chambers maze.
“Always been part of the unofficial lore,” is what I said. Before there was a green witch icon, in the 70s, the “unofficial” lore of the haunt was a witch cursed the town of Calico. These were the beginning days of the event.

My response to you was that I don’t see that being played up any more than a few Easter eggs or fleeting moments in shows or mazes. 2012 was the year they went all in with the Green Witch, and that backstory, and it won’t be like that this year.

“Always been part of the unofficial lore,” is what I said. Before there was a green witch icon, in the 70s, the “unofficial” lore of the haunt was a witch cursed the town of Calico. These were the beginning days of the event.

My response to you was that I don’t see that being played up any more than a few Easter eggs or fleeting moments in shows or mazes. 2012 was the year they went all in with the Green Witch, and that backstory, and it won’t be like that this year.
Do you think the keeper has a big role in the lore of Knott's scary farm this year? I mean they mostly talk about him and say his house will have a unique storyline.

Do you think the keeper has a big role in the lore of Knott's scary farm this year? I mean they mostly talk about him and say his house will have a unique storyline.
I always wanted KSF to have new icons every year, so hopefully they will focus a bit more on the keeper after this year.

I know he was kind of a shoo-in marketing icon from Cedar Fair, but I always wanted to see the Haunt Overlord written into KSF lore in some way or show up somehow this year. I'm kind of annoyed they treated him like he never existed.

I always wanted KSF to have new icons every year, so hopefully they will focus a bit more on the keeper after this year.

I know he was kind of a shoo-in marketing icon from Cedar Fair, but I always wanted to see the Haunt Overlord written into KSF lore in some way or show up somehow this year. I'm kind of annoyed they treated him like he never existed.
I'm thinking the icons the conductor, the green witch, and the keeper all have important roles in this year's haunt and the keeper kind off come out of nowhere when people were expected the green witch to be this year's icon. It's kind of crazy?

I’d imagine his role in the Haunt will get played up this year. They hired an actor to play him for the reveal event, who was given free rein with the character dialogue at his meet and greet over at Boot Hill, something they really haven’t done for a character of that caliber before. He is based off Seymour, who was the original Haunt host for its first few years.

Since they are going all out with the “lore” this year (Conductor in Ghost Town, Green Witch in Origins, and The Keeper in Chambers) it’s safe to say they’ll be tied in, but not in a beat you over the head with it, kind of way.

P.S. there will be some insights when our reveal event article is released on the site, so be sure to check that out for more in depth information.

Went into the Legacy store today... it's pretty freakin' amazing. If you've been in Halloweentown in Burbank, it's like that but x10. Filled with lots of tributes, exhibits, and displays. And the merch is pretty incredible.

One issue is not everything has a price on it, so that's a bit annoying. But I did find out their Scareopoly (which, instead of Jail, has Evlira pictured as a "Booby Trap!", lol) is just under $35... pretty great deal!

Reactions: ParksandSights
Would I be able to get a lantern if I want until opening week? I don't live that close but want to get one of those lanterns before they sell out. Did they have plenty lanterns when you went?
Went into the Legacy store today... it's pretty freakin' amazing. If you've been in Halloweentown in Burbank, it's like that but x10. Filled with lots of tributes, exhibits, and displays. And the merch is pretty incredible.

One issue is not everything has a price on it, so that's a bit annoying. But I did find out their Scareopoly (which, instead of Jail, has Evlira pictured as a "Booby Trap!", lol) is just under $35... pretty great deal!
Would I be able to get a lantern if I want until opening week? I don't live that close but want to get one of those lanterns before they sell out. Did they have plenty lanterns when you went?

I talked to the merchandising director there and the lanterns should be readily available at any given time.

Scare-opoly and their 50th backpack are the ones they are seeing fly off the shelves faster than they can restock

I talked to the merchandising director there and the lanterns should be readily available at any given time.

Scare-opoly and their 50th backpack are the ones they are seeing fly off the shelves faster than they can restock
Thank you for finding out this information.

Reactions: Michael S