Monsters Cafe Closing | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Monsters Cafe Closing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean, I expected this, but I still don't like it. I feel that this whole Minion mini-land is too little too late for a property that seems to be somewhat on a decline in relevancy, at least domestically. It also doesn't help that the new attraction seems somewhat "temporary." If they really wanted to go all in on this in Orlando, they should've done it years ago.
Level Minion Mayhem and build a dark ride in its place, and maybe I'll change my mind.
Considering that they had ample opportunity to make one for Beijing and didn't, I take it that we're never getting a Despicable Me dark ride.
I still think the best entrance choice is to divert it to using Hollywood, as they've done with the other Universal Studio Parks, for entrances. But that may be a tad too expensive with the Epic costs looming over everything.
I gotta be honest, I don't get this. I think the entrance to USF as of now is fine. Also, Hollywood serves as the "Main Street" of the other Universal parks because those parks are designed with that in mind; Beijing and Singapore both lead to lagoons, Hollywood leads to the Universal Plaza tower, and Japan is set up similarly to Florida despite the change in theme for the entrance area. If the entrance to USF was rerouted to Hollywood, the sightlines would be messed up because the park was not designed with the intent of having Hollywood be the entrance area.

First thing we see when entering studios is a ton of minion nonsense. Time to start taking the Hogwarts Express over. Although I think I can manage long enough to grab a sandwich from the Today Cafe.

The previous entrance was a boxed, mostly unthemed, kind of ugly, Shrek building, and a half a_ sed DM partial facade on a boxed building. Just about any attempt to create a unified
themed area would be a vast improvement over what is/was there before the walls went up.

Has anyone seen the plans for this? Is it staying a counter service. I have a bad feeling that they could turn this into a Character Buffet.

That's probably the route they SHOULD take. They totally miss the mark on offering any character dining experiences with a property as popular with kids as Minions.

BUT.. I'm pretty sure it's been a lab-themed counter service at every other Minions land across the other Uni parks.

Reactions: frank_1991_
I really hope they spend the resources to add proper facades and make the area look pleasant. I have a bad feeling they'll cheap out and call it "Minion Studios" with some very minor theming/paint changes to the soundstages.

Either way, seems like we're getting a "Kong situation" with Rockit & and the music plaza stage.

I really hope they spend the resources to add proper facades and make the area look pleasant. I have a bad feeling they'll cheap out and call it "Minion Studios" with some very minor theming/paint changes to the soundstages.

Either way, seems like we're getting a "Kong situation" with Rockit & and the music plaza stage.
Transformers is part of Production Central too right? I’d say thats the last thing keeping it from being a true Minions land.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Minions land is going fast, definitely feels like plans changed quickly to go from temporary attraction but Shrek M & G is sticking around to get the "get the hell out of here!" we've got to get this Cafe up ASAP! I am curious if this is an attempt to hold onto disgruntled Dis kid families (or families that have not yet really made up their park allegiance minds HA!) that perhaps have been slamming the lack of "kid stuff" at the park on exit surveys.
Imo, that would have to be quite the data splurge/dump to force that change.

I think this is simply re theming a cafe that is next to 2 attractions with the same theme, and, we’re getting a Monsters land in 2 years. Seems like an easy money maker to me. I don’t think it’s that deep or planned out.