MSHI Expansion? | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What would be a 2020 design look like to some of you fans? I am not being sarcastic. I even went to the Marvel comic website today to see what it might be missing with today's drawings and stories and short of Thor, I don't see a significant design change.

Can you post some pictures that suggest the look you think that it should have for the future? The films really aren't an option. At all.

Wow I guess I'm the only one that's a fan of the cutouts and 90s'ish look of the island.
Heh, I like it too. But new updates generally are positive, so I'm looking forward to a new look as long as it retains the Marvel feel. And, as I said before, a new restaurant with better food choices would be a plus.

I like the comic aesthetic to the land, but I won't be too disappointed to see it go. It never comes off as a generic amusement park/Six Flags to me, Toon Lagoon is the land that does that IMO. The MCU makeover will be better I'm sure.

Last edited:
I, like I'm sure a lot of you have, grew up in the 90s with those Spider Man, X-Men and Iron Man cartoons. So I guess that's why I like it so much. My favorite island personally. I just don't see how they can modernize it without the use of the cinematic universe. Perhaps a paint job and cutouts of Marvel heroes as they are now in the comics? I guess I'm in the minority but I like feeling like I'm back in the 90s for a little bit :shrug:

I love MSHI and spidey is still the best ride in the world IMO. But it is odd going to MSHI that iron man, xmen and the avengers aren't really represented.

What would be a 2020 design look like to some of you fans? I am not being sarcastic. I even went to the Marvel comic website today to see what it might be missing with today's drawings and stories and short of Thor, I don't see a significant design change.

The past 10-15 years have seen a change from a stylistic comics aesthetic to a far more realistic looking art style. Nearly every Marvel hero now looks like a real person (and generally like their movie counterparts) rather than a caricature. Granted you will see some stylization/exaggeration in some books, but for the most part it's a far more "real" style than anything you see in MSHI. If the movies aren't coming (and I'm willing to bet they are), you'll at the very least see the land modernized to fit the more realistic art seen in today's books.

Can you post some pictures that suggest the look you think that it should have for the future? The films really aren't an option. At all.

I disagree with that last part. A lot. But we'll see.

Wow I guess I'm the only one that's a fan of the cutouts and 90s'ish look of the island.

It's very 90's Pop Art-ey...I kind of like it as I grew up with that asthetic...but when the next island over (TL) has the relative same look (cutouts), it clashes...

I'd say a mix of futuristic (Stark Ind. & SHIELD), streets of New York (Spidey/Other), and darker grungier look (Villains)...but Hyper real like DA..

And much taller to immerse you more...current Marvel land's buildings are quite tiny

design-fetish-dubai-marvel-theme-park-5.jpg

scifanta%20(7).jpg

BAhbBlsHOgZmSSIhMjAxMi8xMS8wOC8xNF81OF8wN182MThfZmlsZQY6BkVU

img_6703.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree with that last part. A lot. But we'll see.

Yeah, after having time to think about it, you may be right. On one side, I would think that Universal wouldn't want to be promoting Disney films, on the other hand, aren't there quite a few movie products and displays in UOR stores? Products that are from Disney/Marvel films?

Update: Yeah, stuff like this in the stores kills my argument.

iron_zpswrczqmoo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LiamRowbotham
Yeah, after having time to think about it, you may be right. On one side, I would think that Universal wouldn't want to be promoting Disney films, on the other hand, aren't there quite a few movie products and displays in UOR stores? Products that are from Disney/Marvel films?

Yes there is and even if there were not, all the Marvel merchandise puts money into Disney/Marvel's pockets. It seems like the sort of change that would be mutually beneficial as it would sell more product for the Disney/Marvel company and it would make Uni's area more popular.

On one side, I would think that Universal wouldn't want to be promoting Disney films

At the same time, isn't Universal parks kind of in the business of promoting other people's stuff? I mean, other than Kong (and I guess Despicable Me, if we want to count it as "major"), nothing they've built in the past 5 years is based on a Universal property.

Plus the entire film business often has cross distribution of films & film product. There's as much co operation agreements as there is competition. Example: Some of the film companies have small or non existent dvd sales forces. A company like LGF sells all or some of the products for a number of film studios. Then those products they sell are distributed from a Fox warehouse. That's the nature of the film business. Why should it surprise anyone that this is happening with theme park/film IP's?

At the same time, isn't Universal parks kind of in the business of promoting other people's stuff? I mean, other than Kong (and I guess Despicable Me, if we want to count it as "major"), nothing they've built in the past 5 years is based on a Universal property.

All true... see me coming around? :smiley:

Now if I could only understand what Disney and Uni and Marvel might be bartering for.

Now if I could only understand what Disney and Uni and Marvel might be bartering for.

My guess (and purely spec) is maybe Disney may want to promote the Marvel movies in park so they'll agree to whatever Universal wants to do in order to do so.

Robert Niles has suggested updates for royalty rates on merch. He also suggests the rumor of Doom's removal might play into Fox's refusal to give up the rights to Marvel. He also highly suggested since the Uni relationship has been so strong there is no desire to move over to Disney Parks.

It'd be good if Universal let Disney at least promote movies and also maybe have some in park characters, not attractions. They could negotiate which characters would be exclusive to each park. Probably an impossible negotiation!

Shame that the X-Men are one of the groups on the outs with Marvel. imagine if they built a Hellfire Club bar or something of the like.

Yes!nThat would be awesome! Infinity Gauntlet bar sounds great too! I guess I didnt even think about them rethemeing F4 Cafe....Speaking of Retheming of they did that with the hulk like I read on screamscape today what would it be themed too?

Yes!nThat would be awesome! Infinity Gauntlet bar sounds great too! I guess I didnt even think about them rethemeing F4 Cafe....Speaking of Retheming of they did that with the hulk like I read on screamscape today what would it be themed too?

No one really knows, it seems. I've heard it will stay Hulk, that it could be SHIELD, or it could be Iron Man. I think the first two options are the most likely.