MSHI Expansion? | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The competition between Universal and Disney isn't quite as extreme as we make it out to be..

This situation is a win win for both..Universal gets a Marvel redux and Disney gets promotion

The competition between Universal and Disney isn't quite as extreme as we make it out to be..

This situation is a win win for both..Universal gets a Marvel redux and Disney gets promotion

In this regard - It is. Disney wants that Marvel pot in Orlando soooo bad.

So, something I noticed that I find interesting is the new Marvel Store that isn't a "MARVEL" store in DTD only uses the comic book representations of the characters on all the theming inside the store.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but I find it surprising none the less.

In this regard - It is. Disney wants that Marvel pot in Orlando soooo bad.
They do. And they ain't getting it. So Option B is negotiate in good faith. Get the right to use the word MARVEL when GotG and others (non-Universal used) end up at DHS. Get ABC's S.H.I.E.L.D into IOA. Get Fantastic 4 and X-Men removed from IOA. Uni gets MCU's likenesses and a new Avengers E-Ticket.

Win-Win.

BTW, that was all hypothetical.

I'll say what I've said before: Both of these companies are in the business of making money. Right now, Disney is getting the majority of merchandise revenue and a small portion of admissions from Universal - as we all know, merchandise is the moneymaker. The whole current situation is win-win, right now Disney is reaping the benefits of Marvel in theme parks without having to pay any operations/maintenance/staffing costs associated with running a theme park. Universal in-turn gets advertising for their characters in their parks through Marvel media. If the movie rights can be used, that's even better for both. Bring a signature drink or food item in there and they'll both be smiling all the way to the bank.

Disney gaining the Marvel rights wouldn't likely bring more people to Disney World than those who come anyway, but it would kill their constant stream of revenue that they get for virtually nothing out of Universal. The only thing Disney wants in this situation is to promote their films in park, like they did with Guardians.

I recall that one of the insiders had posted earlier on OU that Disney's cut on the merch wasn't very large. Anyone remember that posting?

I recall that one of the insiders had posted earlier on OU that Disney's cut on the merch wasn't very large. Anyone remember that posting?
Just dug in to the agreement and I was mistaken - Marvel makes money based on the wholesale cost of merchandise, not the sales. Although sales drive merchandise stock so it's all connected.

Unless things have changed significantly since the late 2000s (I can't imagine the number going down), it was around 85% of merchandise wholesale cost in addition to the guaranteed merchandise advance. So Universal buys a mug from the supplier for $5.00, $4.25 of that goes to Marvel. Universal sells the mug for $14.95 and makes $5.70 per mug for Universal (subtract the cost of the mug + royalty from the sale price). Although those numbers I just used aren't real, you can see the large amount of money that Marvel makes. The most significant amounts to Marvel being from third party merchandise, where Universal has to pay suppliers (ex: Hasbro) the same amount that a collector store (ex: FYE) pays, which is about half of MSRP. This is why Universal has such big price increases on things you can buy outside the parks, usually about 1/3 more than MSRP, but park exclusive merch is more reasonable.

So if Disney can't promote the movies in the parks how did they get away with the avengers monorail? Is it because technically it wasn't "in the parks?"

I also don't get why Disney want marvel... I mean I do but it's better they don't. They have Star Wars and are doing naff all with it, they could build Carsland East coast but can't be bothered and for avatar they're building soarin' over pandora... It's better it stays with universal.. For us anyway! Maybe letting universal redo it is good for them especially if they can renegotiate financial terms and in return let universal use the movie IPs Then they don't have to add it to their to-do list of stuff that doesn't get done,

But just imagine if the universal now, the universal that built Diagon and Hogsmead got chance to build marvel... Wow!

Lastly, I hope hulk doesn't get redone to ironman if ironman is going to be a coaster it should be like manta so you feel like you're flying.. And preferably indoor if possible.

Last edited:
So if Disney can't promote the movies in the parks how did they get away with the avengers monorail? Is it because technically it wasn't "in the parks?"

I also don't get why Disney want marvel... I mean I do but it's better they don't. They have Star Wars and are doing naff all with it, they could build Cartland west coast but aren't and fr avatar they're buikding soarin over pandora... It's better it stays with universal.. For us anyway and maybe letting universal redo it is good for them especially if they can renegotiate financial terms if they let them use the movie IPs Then they don't have to add it to their to-do list of stuff that doesn't get done,

I don't believe they did get away with it. I recall that Uni squawked and the train was taken out of service.

Disney has such a limited set of Characters they can use in their parks that it makes no sense for them to even use them.

Universal has the rights to 84 Avenger Characters (includes some guardian of the galaxy members and inhumans)
95 Xmen members
all four of the fantastic four
Spiderman
Plus all the villains associated with them.

If I was TWDC, I would be doing all in my favor to push more rides and updates to Universal in the MSI. A rising tide lifts all ships. Maybe not as beneficial as they would like to be but those royalty and promotions and guests who come down and spend one day at MK add up fast.

Disney has such a limited set of Characters they can use in their parks that it makes no sense for them to even use them.

Universal has the rights to 84 Avenger Characters (includes some guardian of the galaxy members and inhumans)
95 Xmen members
Spiderman

If I was TWDC, I would be doing all in my favor to push more rides and updates to Universal in the MSI. A rising tide lifts all ships. Maybe not as beneficial as they would like to be but those royalty and promotions and guests who come down and spend one day at MK add up fast.
Nice research. Plus, if memory serves me correct, the FF had a few other members briefly added in the earlier years.

95 Xmen members
Spiderman

Yeah, Universal is letting go of Marvel, yep...

The best part would be if Disney paid for a Marvel redux before the parks got a ride...that would have the pixie dusters seeing colors (well more than usual)