NBA City Closed | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

NBA City Closed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYC and the northeast in general is the toughest mark for any chain/corporate business to come in and be successful as the northeast generally favors their own, with lots of family owned restaurants. Frank Sanatra's famous quote is "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" referring to NY. Doesn't mean if you fail in NY you can't make it in Orlando, which is a MUCH different market.

I'm not even a WWE fan, have never watched it in my life. But I still think it could be successful. I don't think it would be wise to use the entire NBA City plot however as I already stated though.

You say that as Hard Rock Cafe is currently occupying the location for a successful run.

You say that as Hard Rock Cafe is currently occupying the location for a successful run.
I didn't say that no chains could work their ways into the northeast. A lot do, but a lot get rejected and end up failing. I don't see why it matters (Hard Rock had push back when it first opened though). Some fail, some don't. Best Buy had a hard time breaking into the New England area/NY area and it's weakest stores are still up in that area.

NYC is a completely different beast than Orlando, especially if the execution and marketing of the restaurant was done right for WWE. I'm not trying to defend WWE bc I could care less. However, it could easily become a success if done right.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It was in Times Square, the most touristy place ever
Again, playing devil's advocate, so it's in Times Square. It's pretty damn easy to get lost in the shuffle there. It's a lot easier to get recognized or for people to think of you as an option at CityWalk where you only have so many food options.

Again, playing devil's advocate, so it's in Times Square. It's pretty damn easy to get lost in the shuffle there. It's a lot easier to get recognized or for people to think of you as an option at CityWalk where you only have so many food options.

But it will probably serve the same thing as the NBC Sports Bar and Grill. The point of Citywalk is provide locations to diversifed tastes.

But it will probably serve the same thing as the NBC Sports Bar and Grill. The point of Citywalk is provide locations to diversifed tastes.

Yea. The last thing I'd want if I was UOR would be ANOTHER American-style offering. Cowfish, Hard Rock, NBC, and Margaritaville all will be spins on the same thing. Not to mention WWE and NBC being "sports" themed brings problems, and HAD to hurt both NASCAR and NBA when they were around.

To me it would just be repeating the same mistakes

Reactions: *Q* and SeventyOne
Remember though, all of WWEs programming is on NBC Universal channels, and brings in the highest ratings on those channels. Massive corporate synergy there. As for WWF New York, that was exactly the sort of crap restaurant I think would fail. What if it weren't a restaurant, but just a Hall of Fame?

Remember though, all of WWEs programming is on NBC Universal channels, and brings in the highest ratings on those channels. Massive corporate synergy there. As for WWF New York, that was exactly the sort of crap restaurant I think would fail. What if it weren't a restaurant, but just a Hall of Fame?

Besides the problem with niche market, you have to have a selling point. NBA City's placement wasn't doing it any favors. It's sandwiched between the 2 parks and right next to Hard Rock which is a huge draw. Problems aside from food offerings, the WWE idea would need to be HoF and restaurant.

Remember though, all of WWEs programming is on NBC Universal channels, and brings in the highest ratings on those channels.

Then it can be featured at the NBC restaurant they're already building.

As for WWF New York, that was exactly the sort of crap restaurant I think would fail. What if it weren't a restaurant, but just a Hall of Fame?

I think if it was just a Hall of Fame it would fail even sooner. It needs to be a revenue stream or UOR isn't going to even bother trying.

Reactions: Quint
It's in a rough spot no matter what goes in there. There may even be better options. All I'm arguing is that it's a viable option.

It's in a rough spot no matter what goes in there. There may even be better options. All I'm arguing is that it's a viable option.

What's interesting to note is that I've heard soooo many different replacement rumors for this space. Seems like no one is quite sure what the hell would work. :lol:

Reactions: SeventyOne
Hmmm... So I guess UOR just transfered the "NASCAR type" of clientele to the opposite side of the lake. What an awful and senseless idea from Universal, but at least it's the only (bad idea) one in years. If it was me and I have no good ideas for the building, I would just build a pretty themed wall from IOA entrance to HRC and expand Seuss Landing.... maybe build the promised Lorax dark ride or something. If they decide for this WWE crap then I can only say that I am so happy for the Hoagwarts Express. Now I don't have the needed to walk by a Testosterone Drama Queens filled building when transfering from park to park.

sleeping-smiley_icon_zpsumfvorsr.gif

Reactions: allienoves
Well...TNA/Impact Wrestling doesn't have any future events scheduled for Universal. That was the hurdle stopping a WWE presence happening earlier. With TNA losing it's TV deal, there's a higher possibility that it'll be WWE-Themed.

I think that's fine though. Network synergy, sure, and I'd be willing to say WWE has more fans than the NBA at this point in time.

Well...TNA/Impact Wrestling doesn't have any future events scheduled for Universal. That was the hurdle stopping a WWE presence happening earlier. With TNA losing it's TV deal, there's a higher possibility that it'll be WWE-Themed.

I think that's fine though. Network synergy, sure, and I'd be willing to say WWE has more fans than the NBA at this point in time.
TNA had a live taping on July 22nd. I remember the date because it was on the same night Sharknado 3 premiered.

Status
Not open for further replies.