New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando? | Page 99 | Inside Universal Forums

New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't it be amazing if they brought back JAWS in this water park? Something similar to the original ride would be very authentic for this park. In most water parks they just have slides or other water attractions like that. But it would be really neat to have a mixture of those type rides with attractions like a: Popeye or Dudley.

I just checked, and Ihu's breakaway falls doesn't appear to have an elevator at all. Just stairs.

Ok, you're right, we're talking about 2 different types of parks.

The entrance to slides like that are AT ground level...meaning the queue line is not part of a public guest area. What I was referring to was something like what they have at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, where a large portion of the park is at an elevated surface from which to access the slides from. The point being that even though someone strictly wheelchair-bound can't go on any of the rides that start from the top of that mountain, they still have to be able to get up there (which is why there's a chairlift and probably an elevator somewhere near the stairs). BUT, from that point, there is no need for handicap accessibility, say, to the top of Summit Plummet.

I was assuming that the "volcano" mentioned in the post I quoted originally would be a similar raised platform like the mountain at Blizzard Beach. If the park is going to be designed like Wet N Wild or Aquatica, though (where each slide is accessed solely by its own set of stairs) then I misspoke. But I was referring just to the volcano part of the park...didn't mean to imply that each and every individual slide tower would have their own elevators.

Last edited:
Where did you read this?

Screamscape was the most recent thing I read it on.

"Everything I've heard so far is clear about one point... that Wet 'n Wild will be closed down at this point, and you can probably expect some of the bigger/newer slides added to the park over the last decade (Disco H2O, Brain Wash, Aqua Drag Racer, and The Storm) to be moved over to the new park as well as Phase 2 additions if they are still in good shape."

^even if that's true, who cares? Slides aren't like roller coasters in that they come in a whole lot of variation. If Universal was gonna build new slides, they'd most likely be almost exactly the same as the ones in Wet N Wild anyway, just with different theming. And again, that's IF that's even true.

I would chalk that up to Screamscape wanting to say something, anything so that they sound as if they are in the know; in the game.

From what I have seen, I would doubt it. And remember, that waterslide depiction on the water plans, I call it a total red herring. It doesn't resemble a fraction of the rides I have seen on the list or drawings, nor would it be a good and total use of that particular area. The designs from last year were an "every square foot of available space" kind of design; not to mention, the mega attraction short of the lava lamp.

I would chalk that up to Screamscape wanting to say something, anything so that they sound as if they are in the know; in the game.

From what I have seen, I would doubt it. And remember, that waterslide depiction on the water plans, I call it a total red herring. It doesn't resemble a fraction of the rides I have seen on the list or drawings, nor would it be a good and total use of that particular area. The designs from last year were an "every square foot of available space" kind of design; not to mention, the mega attraction short of the lava lamp.

Ooh mega attraction...
Ooh lava lamp...

Universal will absolutely close WnW after the new waterpark opens. They wouldn't have fired the top management at WnW and replaced them with their best UO guys a few months back if they weren't planning on using the place as a functioning training ground for management before moving them over to the new waterpark. They will clear the land and use it to build out a nice hotel resort there on the lakefront.

No insider info, just speculation -- but this is so glaringly obvious to me, I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise. :)

Universal will absolutely close WnW after the new waterpark opens. They wouldn't have fired the top management at WnW and replaced them with their best UO guys a few months back if they weren't planning on using the place as a functioning training ground for management before moving them over to the new waterpark. They will clear the land and use it to build out a nice hotel resort there on the lakefront.

No insider info, just speculation -- but this is so glaringly obvious to me, I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise. :)

i agree with this. If they did open a waterpark, they would be crazy to operate a average waterpark that is like a mile a way.....that property is prime real estate for a resort

Why would they close if WnW makes money? There's no reason why they can't operate two waterparks...

I think they will have such different crowds it would actually make sense to have them both open and running until they have some plan for the WnW property and are ready to move on it. Wet N Wild is still one of the most visited waterparks in the world.

Why would they close if WnW makes money? There's no reason why they can't operate two waterparks...

I think they will have such different crowds it would actually make sense to have them both open and running until they have some plan for the WnW property and are ready to move on it. Wet N Wild is still one of the most visited waterparks in the world.

It all comes down to what is more profitable: a second and probably inferior water park compared to the new one, or a new resort hotel. After seeing the success Cabanna Bay is having and given the locations disconnect from the rest of the resort, I can't help but feel that another family value resort would be best for the site and in the end far more profitable for the overall resort then Wet N' Wild currently is.

I'm with you. I don't see how closing Wet N Wild down is logical of any standpoint.With whats coming to International drive in next 4 years, hotels are sure to be more profitable, I get that. But Wet N Wild is on the road that is the heart of the tourist district in Orlando. Thats why people go because they see it. It's there so people go. Simple. If you build it will they come...errrrr if it's there already will they still come? Sure. No doubt. I Don't see the logic in building a water park on that piece of land behind cabana bay unless they make a huge huge huge noticeable landmark icon of some kind that can be seen from the Hotels in surrounding areas, Ferris wheel, I4 in both directions, and quite possibly cracks between hotel buildings while walking along international drive, besides having it accessible to walk ability among-st on-property guests. Just hope it works out though. The new Water park and Whtever happens with the Wet N Wild Property. Maybe Universal will build a Hybrid Water-Park resort sort of like an indoor water park of some sort with a lakeside resort and a lagoon. Who knows....

I'm with you. I don't see how closing Wet N Wild down is logical of any standpoint.With whats coming to International drive in next 4 years, hotels are sure to be more profitable, I get that. But Wet N Wild is on the road that is the heart of the tourist district in Orlando. Thats why people go because they see it. It's there so people go. Simple. If you build it will they come...errrrr if it's there already will they still come? Sure. No doubt. I Don't see the logic in building a water park on that piece of land behind cabana bay unless they make a huge huge huge noticeable landmark icon of some kind that can be seen from the Hotels in surrounding areas, Ferris wheel, I4 in both directions, and quite possibly cracks between hotel buildings while walking along international drive, besides having it accessible to walk ability among-st on-property guests. Just hope it works out though. The new Water park and Whtever happens with the Wet N Wild Property. Maybe Universal will build a Hybrid Water-Park resort sort of like an indoor water park of some sort with a lakeside resort and a lagoon. Who knows....
Well, if Universal wants to expand thataway then it would make sense since that is an area Universal has been rumored to be eyeing, and they own more land that way..

I'm with you. I don't see how closing Wet N Wild down is logical of any standpoint.

Because

1) It's 40 years later and we now know how to design a waterpark that prints money thanks to more revenue off premium food offerings, rentals, merchandise thanks to highly themed environments, etc.

2) You don't want guests saying "Why would I go to Volcano Bay when I can spend 20 bucks less for a ticket to get into Wet n Wild"? Just eliminate the choice and don't cannibalize your own product.

3) It's a better/easier marketing message to say there's one waterpark than one great one and one sucky one.

4) When tourists see a huge volcano from I-Drive, they won't even look twice at WnW.

Just my opinion, I don't know what Uni's plans are.

Reactions: blue180
Because

1) It's 40 years later and we now know how to design a waterpark that prints money thanks to more revenue off premium food offerings, rentals, merchandise thanks to highly themed environments, etc.

2) You don't want guests saying "Why would I go to Volcano Bay when I can spend 20 bucks less for a ticket to get into Wet n Wild"? Just eliminate the choice and don't cannibalize your own product.

3) It's a better/easier marketing message to say there's one waterpark than one great one and one sucky one.

4) When tourists see a huge volcano from I-Drive, they won't even look twice at WnW.

Just my opinion, I don't know what Uni's plans are.

This, and considering how landlocked UOR is, they will shut things down to replace them.

Well, there is different levels to the type of tourist you have in orlando, you have the "we have lots of money to spend" folks and the "lets go and have fun on a budget". Its the reason why parks like universal, disney and funspot can all co-exist in the same area. Everyone cant afford to shell out 40-60 for a water park visit but they afford 20-30. It has to be a market for all tourist...

Well, there is different levels to the type of tourist you have in orlando, you have the "we have lots of money to spend" folks and the "lets go and have fun on a budget". Its the reason why parks like universal, disney and funspot can all co-exist in the same area. Everyone cant afford to shell out 40-60 for a water park visit but they afford 20-30. It has to be a market for all tourist...

Admission to Wet 'n' Wild is $57.00.

It's funny how quickly one can forget the height balloon tests at Wet n Wild and 2 other properties in the vicinity. I'm sure it's just a coincidence...

Status
Not open for further replies.