Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 257 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
BlackRock is an investment corporation so having them own stock shows that they believe in the company (which bodes well for Nintendo)

Blackstone are they who shall not be named.
Great phrase, "Blackstone are they who shall not be named". :)Yes, Blackstone is the Investment Company that sucks the profits out of anything they touch, and leaves a nearly lifeless company corpse.

I hoped ET would be Universal's piece of nostalgia - perhaps not...I still feel it has life though

If we've learned anything about Universal's parks mentality over the past, say, 15 years, it's that they are not in any way nostalgic for their own park's history, they will replace anything at any time under circumstances they deem necessary, and they don't care at all how attached some of us in the fan community are to the attractions that turned us into Universal parks fans in the first place.

I don't think there's much sacred to them at this point, and while that has a positive effect on keeping the parks always fresh(ish), I think there's a better balance that could have been struck over the years.

Yeah I just don't see ET as a nostalgia movie. BTTF is and you see it with the BTTF day, Pepsi perfect release(which I own), all the merchandise sold outside the parks and the fact it's continuously played on tv. ET I never hear of outside the parks.

There's definitely a little something to this. I can't think of the last time I saw E.T. playing on television, even on networks owned by the parent company. Perhaps this has something to do with Spielberg not wanting it to be in constant rotation so that the few times it does pop up feel more like "events." I can't think of another explanation for why Universal hasn't done more to keep it more in the (general) public's mindset, because it's a masterpiece and was the highest-grossing movie of all time for many years. It's not like it was some obscure little art film.

If we've learned anything about Universal's parks mentality over the past, say, 15 years, it's that they are not in any way nostalgic for their own park's history, they will replace anything at any time under circumstances they deem necessary, and they don't care at all how attached some of us in the fan community are to the attractions that turned us into Universal parks fans in the first place.

I don't think there's much sacred to them at this point, and while that has a positive effect on keeping the parks always fresh(ish), I think there's a better balance that could have been struck over the years.

There's definitely a little something to this. I can't think of the last time I saw E.T. playing on television, even on networks owned by the parent company. Perhaps this has something to do with Spielberg not wanting it to be in constant rotation so that the few times it does pop up feel more like "events." I can't think of another explanation for why Universal hasn't done more to keep it more in the (general) public's mindset, because it's a masterpiece and was the highest-grossing movie of all time for many years. It's not like it was some obscure little art film.
Unfortunately they don't see it as a priority, but I think they are at the point where they can start..

Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to sacrifice ET for a Yoshi ride...I would just miss it

Reactions: jdfortythree
Unfortunately they don't see it as a priority, but I think they are at the point where they can start..

Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to sacrifice ET for a Yoshi ride...I would just miss it
Just doesn't make sense to can E.T. when there's plenty of room for both.

By using some of the expansion pad, it keeps capacity levels smooth and fits two Es and one D without losing a near-classic status dark ride.

By using some of the expansion pad, it keeps capacity levels smooth and fits two Es and one D without losing a near-classic status dark ride.

I don't want ET to go either but I don't think there is as much room as they'd like. One day whether we like it or not, ET will meet it's maker and I think they're trying to decide whether to replace ET now with Yoshi and keep the expansion pad for something else OR keep ET, lose the expansion pad for Yoshi and then at some point down the line have to replace ET with a new IP that is sort of in Hollywood and sort of in Nintendo which limits your options somewhat.

With an attraction as old as ET is, it is due some love and knowing that Comcast have no sentimental value for rides I personally think it's going to go sadly.

Exactly, but it appears they want to continue using that backstage area and not expand into it..I sure wish they still had the plot behind Fear Factor

They could make E.T. a horror ride if they wanted to for HHN.
Change the lighting, to be ominous, dark. Change the script, you have to run from E.T., he's trying to eat you for that big belly of his and lay eggs (that scene with all the kids).
E.T. the ExTERRORestrial.
"You have saved our planet. Come, celebrate with us... by feasting on the flesh of our enemies!"

et-scary-adventure.jpg

I remember the UO of the past ..Jaws, Kong, BAck to the Future, etc. All of those rides were great and "classics." With that said they are also better remembered as a great memory than they would be if they were still around today in the park. They just dont translate. I think ET had a great run but has def out stayed its relevance in ride technology alone. The more room for Nintendo the better

Unfortunately they don't see it as a priority, but I think they are at the point where they can start.

I don't see it happening. Yes, they brought Kong back the resort, but I view that as an isolated case. I don't think they see much value in catering to the nostalgia of some Universal fans like me, especially when there are plenty of other fans (as evidenced by opinions expressed in this thread!) who don't particularly miss the old attractions (and won't miss E.T.).

Realistically, HHN is more important to the resort than ET is.

Art Team for HHN can say "We need ET building to build 10 mazes!" and they'll shut down ET just for it... lol
As great of a ride and movie ET is, it just doesn't have the draw it did a decade ago. Which is why there's a bunch of different rumors for its removal/replacement...

Just wait for the ET/Alien/Close Encounters of the thirds kind cross over movie and this ip will be kicking and screaming as it should. Nu plummer nor cartoon dragon should take it's place! I love some Nintendo but if it kicks ET out of the park I'll start a crusade to destroy the brand. ;)
(Any other opinions are fake opinions)