Nintendo Switch | Page 129 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Now that the Switch is entering "mid-life crisis" for consoles I'm starting to wonder what their next idea for a console will be. Sony and Microsoft are easy to guess because it's the same system and controllers, but Nintendo has only made two true successors to past consoles: The SNES and Wii-U. All though the Gamecube could be considered a sequel to the 64. Basically, Nintendo struck gold with the Switch and I'm wondering if they try to capitalize on it or do something else.

Now that the Switch is entering "mid-life crisis" for consoles I'm starting to wonder what their next idea for a console will be. Sony and Microsoft are easy to guess because it's the same system and controllers, but Nintendo has only made two true successors to past consoles: The SNES and Wii-U. All though the Gamecube could be considered a sequel to the 64. Basically, Nintendo struck gold with the Switch and I'm wondering if they try to capitalize on it or do something else.

I can see them going the successor route in 3-4 years, as we have yet to hit the tail end of it's life cycle. I think if their path is to keep on hybrid consoles, going smartphone routes may be more beneficial for a device like the Switch.

If its not another hybrid...they are nuts

People love to play games on the go and Nintendo games don't need 4K to look/play great.

We just need the next new system to be around what a PS4 Pro is

4K output for TVs/monitors, 1080p handheld, 60fps for both. It is one powerful chip.

So a more proper jump of hardware. I agree, but I'm being more at the line of it being on the level of a PS4 Pro. It'd still allow third party companies to invest and bring high quality titles, without compromising graphics too much. Would also allow them to be close to the PS5 for JP and NA devs.

Reactions: chris.g
I just hope they don't limit any 1st party titles for the Pro. I'm fine with 3rd party games because I didn't get a Switch for them, but if something like Prime 4 is exclusive it would be very lame.

I just hope they don't limit any 1st party titles for the Pro. I'm fine with 3rd party games because I didn't get a Switch for them, but if something like Prime 4 is exclusive it would be very lame.
lol

Prime 4 needs as many people to be able to buy it as they can...dont worry

I think like one or two games from Nintendo were only on 3DS Pro but i doubt they will do it...maybe some features will be locked away like faster loading/4K but think Nintendo wants to keep selling millions of copies of each first party game.
I would also like a sequel to 1 2 3 Switch...that was a fun party game just needed "more" to it

lol

Prime 4 needs as many people to be able to buy it as they can...dont worry

I think like one or two games from Nintendo were only on 3DS Pro but i doubt they will do it...maybe some features will be locked away like faster loading/4K but think Nintendo wants to keep selling millions of copies of each first party game.
I would also like a sequel to 1 2 3 Switch...that was a fun party game just needed "more" to it

I'm actually on the boat of Prime 4 being on the New Nintendo Switch exclusively, with maaybe a cloud based version of Prime 4 for the original Switch and Switch Lite. Remember, the New 3DS was essentially a jump for games in general, as it was required for new games.

Reactions: chris.g
I'm actually on the boat of Prime 4 being on the New Nintendo Switch exclusively, with maaybe a cloud based version of Prime 4 for the original Switch and Switch Lite. Remember, the New 3DS was essentially a jump for games in general, as it was required for new games.

The problem I see with exclusives like this, is that then the Switch Pro is no longer really a Pro version but more like a new console. It also could lead to people buying a game exclusive for the pro who have the regular, I mean, when the WiiU came out, there were people confused by the name, bought WiiU games and then found out they did not work on their Wii. Personally, I think a new "switch 2" console that is fully backwards compatible would have made more sense.. It is also a pity they never used that patent for additional computation module, something like that at least was rumored in the NX-codename stage, it would have been neat to have a dock that could add additional computing power.

One other thing, I find it odd that they would not go for a home-console only switch, especially with the Pro that would make sense, and it would be a cheaper alternative to the Pro that is both home and handheld, since you eliminate the cost of the touchscreen etc. And I mean face it, with the introduction of the switch lite, the whole switch concept was more or less thrown out.

The problem I see with exclusives like this, is that then the Switch Pro is no longer really a Pro version but more like a new console. It also could lead to people buying a game exclusive for the pro who have the regular, I mean, when the WiiU came out, there were people confused by the name, bought WiiU games and then found out they did not work on their Wii. Personally, I think a new "switch 2" console that is fully backwards compatible would have made more sense.. It is also a pity they never used that patent for additional computation module, something like that at least was rumored in the NX-codename stage, it would have been neat to have a dock that could add additional computing power.

One other thing, I find it odd that they would not go for a home-console only switch, especially with the Pro that would make sense, and it would be a cheaper alternative to the Pro that is both home and handheld, since you eliminate the cost of the touchscreen etc. And I mean face it, with the introduction of the switch lite, the whole switch concept was more or less thrown out.

I think it's fair to consider that it'll be on the New Nintendo Switch (and likely the New Nintendo Switch Lite for reasons that will be present as soon as I bring it up), because, they are planning to be phasing out the Nintendo Switch model that's currently on shelves.

1622218910505.png

Bloomberg specifically brought this up in the article released a few days ago by Takashi.

I do genuinely think that in a year or two, we'll see the Lite be phased out for a updated version, similar to what is coming out in the fall.

Yea, I don't think they can game lock. With the number of people who just bought a switch and switch lite, if they immediately say sorry only on Pro switch, it alienates future consumers.

Reactions: jseal777
I really like how Xbox and Playstation have handled the jump to next gen with some games having free upgrades. If the new switch is a huge jump like that could nintendo do something similar? Or is this not a big hardware difference.