Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nope Studio Tour Attraction

Honestly the fact that this isn't really a major effects display and is more just an atmorpheric showcase of the sets probably increases the segments longevity in my mind. Like, especially when other parts of the tour become older and start to have their structures or interiors actively rot, maintainance cost is probably gonna become a major factor in what they choose to keep or replace in the future. The structures are newer, so they're gonna last quite a while, they definitely cost a hefty chunk to move to the backlot, and there's no big special effect that could potentially seriously break and rack up maintenence costs between that and wood rot.
The best point of reference to me would be its local neighbor, the War of the Worlds set. Sure, it's a spectacle, but I guarantee the only reason it's still around is because it's an expensive set that fills in a spot on the tour and doesn't require significant frequent maintenance to function properly, and they're not exactly selling War of the Worlds merch anywhere in the park either. Most I see them doing to Jupiters Claim for at least the next 5 ish years is updating the video to make it seem like it's not building up to something big and let it just exist as an eerie set for the sake of being a set.

Honestly the fact that this isn't really a major effects display and is more just an atmorpheric showcase of the sets probably increases the segments longevity in my mind. Like, especially when other parts of the tour become older and start to have their structures or interiors actively rot, maintainance cost is probably gonna become a major factor in what they choose to keep or replace in the future. The structures are newer, so they're gonna last quite a while, they definitely cost a hefty chunk to move to the backlot, and there's no big special effect that could potentially seriously break and rack up maintenence costs between that and wood rot.
The best point of reference to me would be its local neighbor, the War of the Worlds set. Sure, it's a spectacle, but I guarantee the only reason it's still around is because it's an expensive set that fills in a spot on the tour and doesn't require significant frequent maintenance to function properly, and they're not exactly selling War of the Worlds merch anywhere in the park either. Most I see them doing to Jupiters Claim for at least the next 5 ish years is updating the video to make it seem like it's not building up to something big and let it just exist as an eerie set for the sake of being a set.
We will see but I think with USH making bank now and like anyone company wanting to grow bigger and one day add a hotel. It will require some money and effort to do that.

I could even see it being moved to the spot I said and not being officially on the tram any more and being used for just HHN/VIP tours or special events.

Once again, I dont think its moving fora few years if not longer but I doubt USH will allow this set and the WW set to top them from building 2-3 more lands/areas if the profits from those could reach the levels of Potterland and Nintendo World

2 new films are coming out in 2024 from Peele/Monkeypaw.
9/27/24 : untitled horror/thriller from Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions
12/25/24 : untitled fourth film from the “Nope” writer/director
It will be interesting to see if either of these films effect the current tram stop or lead to an additional tram stop. At the very least I would guess that the 9/27/24 film will lead to a HHN house.
New Jordan Peele Movie Set for Christmas Day 2024 Release From Universal (thewrap.com)

Glad to hear after Nope doing fine but not amazing they are still all in on Jordon....I feel like he will be a director that Universal wants to talk about for decades after he's finished making films

Still don't think these films affect them needing to move the Nope set in the next ten years if they need to but its a far away goal anyway. Until the Tram moves they don't have to touch anything

2 new films are coming out in 2024 from Peele/Monkeypaw.
9/27/24 : untitled horror/thriller from Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions
12/25/24 : untitled fourth film from the “Nope” writer/director
It will be interesting to see if either of these films effect the current tram stop or lead to an additional tram stop. At the very least I would guess that the 9/27/24 film will lead to a HHN house.
New Jordan Peele Movie Set for Christmas Day 2024 Release From Universal (thewrap.com)
I see them promoting the new movies with the video screens between the end of the Jupiters Claim stop and F&F, but thats about all I could really conceive coming.

Glad to hear after Nope doing fine but not amazing they are still all in on Jordon....I feel like he will be a director that Universal wants to talk about for decades after he's finished making films

Still don't think these films affect them needing to move the Nope set in the next ten years if they need to but its a far away goal anyway. Until the Tram moves they don't have to touch anything
Nope did pretty well all things considered. It was maybe a little too expensive but its actual box office returns given it was an original, R-rated, ambiguously-marketed horror movie coming out that first summer without COVID paranoia shouldn’t have been an indictment on Peele. I’m stoked that Universal has put so much faith in his projects.

Nope did pretty well all things considered. It was maybe a little too expensive but its actual box office returns given it was an original, R-rated, ambiguously-marketed horror movie coming out that first summer without COVID paranoia shouldn’t have been an indictment on Peele. I’m stoked that Universal has put so much faith in his projects.
I understand the factors but Hollywood seems not to really care why something fails, normally they just do the blame game and thats it.

I love his films and NOPE has some scenes I loveeeee but overall I think its the weakest of his three films and glad Universal is his partner so we can see his stuff in the parks more even if its mainly for HHN.

If you go by the conventional wisdom that the all-in cost is double the budget, it still made a $30 million profit. Not quite tentpole summer blockbuster numbers, but good for a horror film. As @OrlandoGuy mentioned, it's harder for R-rated films to get high returns in theaters.

If you go by the conventional wisdom that the all-in cost is double the budget, it still made a $30 million profit. Not quite tentpole summer blockbuster numbers, but good for a horror film. As @OrlandoGuy mentioned, it's harder for R-rated films to get high returns in theaters.

Generally you need triple the budget, but I think the film will eventually break even (and produce a small profit and add a prestige library title) when you factor in the secondary markets/revenue streams (streaming licensing/airplane licensing/TV licensing/DVDs/etc.)

Looks like Universal recently filed a permit for "construction of accessible path of travel from psycho/war of the worlds to nope". Its status is "waiting for applicant". Maybe a separate path for the VIP tour? Or maybe it's HHN related?
psycho_wow_nope_map.JPG
accessible_path_permit.JPG

Exciting to see this!

__

Adding a bit more: Walking through Jupiter's Claim during HHN is probably one of the best experiences I've had at the event in general. Even if it isn't the full scale town, being able to see this place as it was depicted after the event was genuinely surreal and exciting. I wonder if, with the path connecting to Jupiter's Claim directly; that this might mean we are going to see a path for HHN with more of the sets from the film represented.

Don't know how feasible it is, but I would love an expansion of the town with perhaps more brought in from Gordy.

Last edited: