Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ratatouille @ French Pavillion

I guess but I've never felt any urgency on my one time on mania. My arm just hurts at that point because no imagineers thought it would be a good idea to add a button, a string is what the kids want!!! Whatever with midway mania mannnnnn

Gotta hit the gym then! :lol:

I wasn't dissing the movies at Epcot, but I actually LOVE the film in France, I just wish they would update it, it is 32 years old, after all. I love the music, the scenery, and I always want to go to France (the real country) immediately after I leave. Makes me remember my Paris vacations fondly.

I also like the Circle Vision 360 films. For those of you who are too young to remember, the first time I saw one of these movies, which was in Tomorrowland back in 74, it was truly amazing. In fact, EVERYTHING at the Magic Kingdom was amazing then, we had never seen anything like it. It's a shame Disney didn't keep up the same standard of attractions through the years.

One of the things I enjoy about World Showcase is that it ISN'T so Disney-fied. I am not for putting any Pixar or Disney movies as attractions there. To have character meet and greets is fine, but other than that, leave them as a way to acquaint people with those countries, not as a way to push the sale of plush toys and souvenirs.

I don't think you understand Disney fans. They only hate screens when they are used at Universal. If TDO/WDI use screens it is the most amazingly "magical" thing ever! they will tell you with a straight face that TSMM is way better than anything at Universal.

This. I was just going to respond with this, but you said it perfectly.

Last edited:
I think if the movie relates to the culture like grand fiesta tour or ratatouille then it fits in world showcase. It's not like they are having tangled take over Canada or cars take over Germany, it shows how animation can embrace a culture like ratatouille or grand fiesta. Right now world showcase is kinda empty even with all the restaurants and shops. Needs more rides and stat, with how many awesome rides planned for WS it sucks only 2 of them made it through. I'm pro cartoon but if Disney wants to make something original like maelstrom again (highly doubt) then I'll be more than happy to take that too

The problem is..Epcot is supposed to be more hyper-realistic than the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios..therefore a cartoon is not really going to fit into World Showcase very well..that is why Grand Fiesta is so awkward now..Malestrom works because it is based off of the country it takes place in with some mythical fun thrown in...

Ratatouille occurs in France and deals with France...but it is not necessarily to be confused with French culture..I would rather see one of the Streets of America in Hollywood Studios converted to a French street of some kind to incorporate the ride...Synergy, however is the word for anything at Disney these days, so unless a property is attached I don't see anything new on the horizon for any park..My problem is, when all the parks have the same properties and the same general feel..what will be the incentive to visit more than one? Epcot has always had identity issues..I feel it is only a matter of time before it becomes Magic Kingdom overflow..or perhaps it already has..

The problem is..Epcot is supposed to be more hyper-realistic than the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios..therefore a cartoon is not really going to fit into World Showcase very well..that is why Grand Fiesta is so awkward now..Malestrom works because it is based off of the country it takes place in with some mythical fun thrown in...

Ratatouille occurs in France and deals with France...but it is not necessarily to be confused with French culture..I would rather see one of the Streets of America in Hollywood Studios converted to a French street of some kind to incorporate the ride...Synergy, however is the word for anything at Disney these days, so unless a property is attached I don't see anything new on the horizon for any park..My problem is, when all the parks have the same properties and the same general feel..what will be the incentive to visit more than one? Epcot has always had identity issues..I feel it is only a matter of time before it becomes Magic Kingdom overflow..or perhaps it already has..

grand fiesta is so awkward because almost everything about it (facade) is just....what?!?! Epcot isn't like it used to be and I think people seriously need to get over that everything that made epcot awesome is gone, people complain about universal having no original rides left? besides spaceship earth there are no original rides (even that's a stretch) I definitely agree with you that if they keep going the way they are, all parks will be a bit same-ish. I want disney to make another everest or haunted mansion here, you know something that came out of pure originality. The imagineers are too good at what they do and to have them working on disney springs right now is just insulting. Sadly all the new original stuff is being worked on at the eastern parks, DAMN YOU MYSTIC POINT!!!!!

The issue Epcot will always have is that it is considered the "boring" park by most families. So by adding more IPs that fit into the material around it, it could get rid of that tag. But kids just don't enjoy Epcot. The scavenger hunt type activities help, so does the color stations, but overall Epcot does have issues especially with the front part aging so badly. If the front had more interesting rides, it would also help. I don't mind them putting rides like this around the WS because if you want to stay in the "culture" of the country and embrace WS what it is today then just ignore the rides. Most of them have a pretty hidden entrances and I am sure it will stay that way. But if you are a family it will give them reasons to see WS and experience the countries, because they will see rides over there on the map worth riding.

The issue Epcot will always have is that it is considered the "boring" park by most families. So by adding more IPs that fit into the material around it, it could get rid of that tag. But kids just don't enjoy Epcot. The scavenger hunt type activities help, so does the color stations, but overall Epcot does have issues especially with the front part aging so badly. If the front had more interesting rides, it would also help. I don't mind them putting rides like this around the WS because if you want to stay in the "culture" of the country and embrace WS what it is today then just ignore the rides. Most of them have a pretty hidden entrances and I am sure it will stay that way. But if you are a family it will give them reasons to see WS and experience the countries, because they will see rides over there on the map worth riding.

future world suffers from its theme (so does every future theme land) If the company doesn't want to spend millions updating a land every year (they dont) it'll end up dated as hell. Totally agree, I was going to take my 3 year old brother and when I looked at the selection of stuff to do....i'll take him to MGM instead. Epcot is really only for the older crowd that could really appreciate it more, it's too much for most kids to enjoy, I sure didn't enjoy it when I first went

future world suffers from its theme (so does every future theme land) If the company doesn't want to spend millions updating a land every year (they dont) it'll end up dated as hell. Totally agree, I was going to take my 3 year old brother and when I looked at the selection of stuff to do....i'll take him to MGM instead. Epcot is really only for the older crowd that could really appreciate it more, it's too much for most kids to enjoy, I sure didn't enjoy it when I first went
I may sound like a broken record...but..Epcot has potential to be the most unique theme park in the world and much of it could be catered to families..Every country has myths and legends..future world has endless possibilities..When Epcot first opened its problem was it was boring..now its problem is it is just outdated..you can do non IP rides that the whole family can enjoy...it is possible..it just takes a bit of energy (ha..ha....ha) :look:

I may sound like a broken record...but..Epcot has potential to be the most unique theme park in the world and much of it could be catered to families..Every country has myths and legends..future world has endless possibilities..When Epcot first opened its problem was it was boring..now its problem is it is just outdated..you can do non IP rides that the whole family can enjoy...it is possible..it just takes a bit of energy (ha..ha....ha) :look:

it's possible but unlikely, Don't get me wrong I love myths and use them in all my scripts and hen disney pulls them off they never get them wrong. It's just sad that we probably won't get another mythical ride or experience in epcot...ever, WHO'S DOWN FOR A EL CUCUY RIDE IN MEXICO?!?!?! :yikes:

I dont think you get to be the third most-visited park in the US by being boring for kids. My kids love EPCOT and they arent alone. Its not a typical rides park, but its fun in that its a unique environment to hang out. We like going to Flower & Garden and Food & Wine just to look around and try new things, and sometimes watch the concerts. Also if you really take the time to look around you find new little details every time and kids like that sort of thing. While the whole multicultural appreciation theme may be lost on little ones, they still can appreciate the unique and immersive playground EPCOT has provided them.

I dont think you get to be the third most-visited park in the US by being boring for kids. My kids love EPCOT and they arent alone. Its not a typical rides park, but its fun in that its a unique environment to hang out. We like going to Flower & Garden and Food & Wine just to look around and try new things, and sometimes watch the concerts. Also if you really take the time to look around you find new little details every time and kids like that sort of thing. While the whole multicultural appreciation theme may be lost on little ones, they still can appreciate the unique and immersive playground EPCOT has provided them.
I'll think about it, MGM and epcot are the only parks my brother hasn't been to yet and I'm leaning towards MGM because he would probably lose his mind over the shows there (especially mermaid) I like going to epcot myself especially for the flower festival, seeing micky dolenz from the monkees there was just insane. But still a park with 5 rides that he can go on vs a park with tons of shows and a couple rides is a real toughie. Still have yet to try innoventions or living with the land so thats another reason to go

I agree the special events have more for the kids because they add the playgrounds and things like that. And my daughter likes it because we spend only about 5 hours in there. A couple rides, maybe a playground, eat at Germany or The land (which both have entertaining things for her), fireworks, and then we are out of there. However if you are a family planning on staying there the entire day (like many tourists do) I hear people all the time say their kids were bored for part of it or they skipped the countries because their kids didn't want to do them. I am not saying every kid is the same, but it is an overall theme I do hear from families. It is a popular park because of its special events and because of the food and drinks offered. That is why it gets the attendance numbers it gets. I mean as a local I will go in and just eat at Germany, ride one or two rides and then leave. But I am counted in that days attendance report.

I agree the special events have more for the kids because they add the playgrounds and things like that. And my daughter likes it because we spend only about 5 hours in there. A couple rides, maybe a playground, eat at Germany or The land (which both have entertaining things for her), fireworks, and then we are out of there. However if you are a family planning on staying there the entire day (like many tourists do) I hear people all the time say their kids were bored for part of it or they skipped the countries because their kids didn't want to do them. I am not saying every kid is the same, but it is an overall theme I do hear from families. It is a popular park because of its special events and because of the food and drinks offered. That is why it gets the attendance numbers it gets. I mean as a local I will go in and just eat at Germany, ride one or two rides and then leave. But I am counted in that days attendance report.
I think a big reason for its attendance is it's a big hang out place too, everytime I go I see giant groups of middle aged men walking around bar crawling. Hell my stepmothers friend recently had his batchlor party there. If you put it that way, world showcase is a bigger and better downtown Disney

I had not seen this video before... the set pieces are grand and fun. I hope that the ride is too!

[video=youtube_share;BD7kBhRU2n0]http://youtu.be/BD7kBhRU2n0[/video]

I had not seen this video before... the set pieces are grand and fun. I hope that the ride is too!

[video=youtube_share;BD7kBhRU2n0]http://youtu.be/BD7kBhRU2n0[/video]
I don't think it can't be, everything said about it including the resturant it awesome. I looks like they are marketing like universal where you can eat and buy things from the specific movie, no lefu's brew here and thank god for it. If only we could get it at Epcot

World Showcase is in desperate need of a new ride, but dumbing it down with Pixar or Frozen characters is NOT the answer. Maelstrom has nothing Disney-related, but is popular amongst kids. My 6 y.o. daughter loves it. Why couldn't France, Japan, China, or Morocco do something similar? Saying kids find Epcot boring is a very vague statement. I will say that a lot of young kids may not enjoy World Showcase with the exception of Norway, and MAYBE Mexico. I know when I go to Epcot with kids, we spend 75% of our time in Future World. But if they added an original family-friendly ride deeper in World Showcase, that can change. Even though they haven't done it in a while, Disney is still capable of creating some of the best theme park attractions with totally original stories. I just wish they did it more often.

^ I would hardly call Ratatouille a dumbed down movie. If anything, it is almost too deep with euro emotion and depth. This attraction appears to yank it up by its socks a bit, and have fun while being extremely French in culture. I would welcome it and I believe Epcot would welcome it with numbers.