Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 128 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm sure there are some loud meetings happening behind the scenes.

Definitely. We’re approaching 10 months that it’s not officially been ‘operating’ which is half the time it took between closing Kongfrontation in September 2002 before The Mummy opened in May 2004.

I absolutely love this ride but without major changes and even with a major ‘brain transplant’ that timeline just isn’t good enough. Don’t get me wrong I’ve not been impacted as my first visit of the year was earlier this month and I got lucky and was able to ride but I’m still objective enough to know that it isn’t a good look.

Reactions: SpatulaShack
Stuff happens. I recall all the problems with Gringotts, Hagrid, RotR, with their new high tech operating systems. These are not simple tech systems.

Yeah I get that, and I really don’t want to look like I’m wailing on anybody because all these people dealing with it are way smarter than I could ever be.

I just think these systems - which I agree are not simple - must surely be more advanced almost 20 years down the line yet they’re causing more problems than they did at opening. I actually understand the examples you used more than this as they were completely new experiences, as opposed to this.

FWIW, found my ride well paced and smoother than it’s been for a while, so happy to know this will be sticking around for a bit longer.

Yeah I get that, and I really don’t want to look like I’m wailing on anybody because all these people dealing with it are way smarter than I could ever be.

I just think these systems - which I agree are not simple - must surely be more advanced almost 20 years down the line yet they’re causing more problems than they did at opening. I actually understand the examples you used more than this as they were completely new experiences, as opposed to this.

FWIW, found my ride well paced and smoother than it’s been for a while, so happy to know this will be sticking around for a bit longer.
but...these are new computer systems also....just adapted for the old structural elements. And that may make it even tougher to eliminate bugs.

You have had an exponential growth of lawyers in that 20 years so the safety systems they are using now are a step above a drop bar on a ferris wheel at the carny having them run at the mercy of sensors and computers that are programmed by humans making assumptions about how the ride will operate.

Trite phrase but there is more code in this ride than what enabled the Apollo program to land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth.

Just my take on why the learning curve is so steep these days and most rides are not really stable for a year or more after they begin operation.

Ops probably is a bleak place to work on a new, complicated ride that could kill people and your business if it had a major malfunction but eventually they hit their stride and provide smiles.

The ride is still too unreliable and unpredictable. I also think it is not so much that the ride glitches a lot, but rather that there are too many errors which lead to having to evacuate. Evacuation is always a safety concern. I don't know how the Mummy's controls are, but I am pretty sure that it being a coaster, when the emergency stop is activated then it means an automatic evacuation.

This is still in "technical rehearsals" as of today. This technical rehearsal is longer than most brand new rides at this point. We're entering NOVEMBER. No amount of "but it got a full brain transplant" can explain close to a full year of refurbishment with zero major physical changes to the ride and it still not operating correctly. This isn't the first ride to receive brand new software. Space Mountain has gone through a "brain transplant" like 2 - 3 times over the course of its life along with most rides built in 70's and 80's that are still operating today. What gives here?

Space Mountain is also largely a normal gravity powered coaster with a lift chain. This coaster has launches, turntables, sudden stops and a lot more AA cues.

Space Mountain is also largely a normal gravity powered coaster with a lift chain. This coaster has launches, turntables, sudden stops and a lot more AA cues.
Computers can be a fickle thing.

Most people fail to understand just how intrinsically complicated rides are, and how quickly rides can fault. A lot of ride faults are not even barely observable, for instance I one had it at Ripsaw that at Hideout (final drop) I noticed the movement of the boat seemed slightly off, and indeed, when I went to the control booth later on, the ride had been faulting, something people on the ride most likely would never have noticed.

Another thing to be mindful off, is that whenever there are too many ride faults which require an e-stop (or station stop or ride stop), it can trip up the ride, even cause short-circuiting.

Most people fail to understand just how intrinsically complicated rides are, and how quickly rides can fault. A lot of ride faults are not even barely observable, for instance I one had it at Ripsaw that at Hideout (final drop) I noticed the movement of the boat seemed slightly off, and indeed, when I went to the control booth later on, the ride had been faulting, something people on the ride most likely would never have noticed.

Another thing to be mindful off, is that whenever there are too many ride faults which require an e-stop (or station stop or ride stop), it can trip up the ride, even cause short-circuiting.
Yeah, working on Rockit has given me a whole new perspective on ride tech. I'll never be mad over a technical delay again. Most people don't realize just how many different things can cause a ride to have to shutdown. Safety first.

I’ve been on it 4 times this trip and the intro scenes definitely feel a bit faster and it feels like we’re almost out of the scene by time the line finishes.
The worst offender is at the fake ending where “Death is only the beginning” feels like I can barely hear it when I’m looking for it, which is a shame but it’ll probably be fine in the long run. I’m just glad it’s open and they didn’t change the story.

Yeah, working on Rockit has given me a whole new perspective on ride tech. I'll never be mad over a technical delay again. Most people don't realize just how many different things can cause a ride to have to shutdown. Safety first.

Yeah, you guys get a lot of sensor faults too I believe. Rides with constantly moving RVs are tricky too, since when you go past the zero mark and the RV is not properly loaded yet you have to station stop. You have a couple of my Ripsaw buddies over there too now!

I’ve been on it 4 times this trip and the intro scenes definitely feel a bit faster and it feels like we’re almost out of the scene by time the line finishes.
The worst offender is at the fake ending where “Death is only the beginning” feels like I can barely hear it when I’m looking for it, which is a shame but it’ll probably be fine in the long run. I’m just glad it’s open and they didn’t change the story.

Working out the timing of rides such as Mummy can be very finicky, especially they run quite a few RVs. It is tricky really, you need more RVs to reduce wait times, but at the same time, the RVs you run, the greater the chance of buffering and errors. I was amazed to learn to VC often runs 4 trains, that is really quite phenomenal, being grouper there can be hard though I heard, because they can spit out a train every 35 seconds.

Was the turntable scene always so light? I can’t recall, but it’s my main gripe.

Glad to have it back though. The park absolutely needs it.

Was the turntable scene always so light? I can’t recall, but it’s my main gripe.

Glad to have it back though. The park absolutely needs it.

The lighting was adjusted some years ago - not sure if anyone knows exactly when. But it's been too bright for a long while, and sadly, the refurbishment only adjusted the projections.

Reactions: shiekra38
The lighting was adjusted some years ago - not sure if anyone knows exactly when. But it's been too bright for a long while, and sadly, the refurbishment only adjusted the projections.

It‘s a shame as it makes a great scene look really cheap. Poor show.

Reactions: gator