SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 112 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Flying theaters are only as good as the films they show. Without Disney's budget it's hard to create a visually interesting film. Busch tried for YEARS with their simulators (Bermuda Triangle, Wild Arctic, Questor, Europe in the Air, etc.) and none were "must do attractions". You did it once and said "that was OK, but I don't need to do that again". The only exception I can think of was when they ran Polar Express at SeaWorld which came from an outside company.

An interactive dark ride (like Sesame) or an indoor coaster like they're doing with Dark Koaster makes more sense for them.

Reactions: SeventyOne
For a park like SW, and aimed for kids like Sesame Street, I don't think you need an expensive AA filled interactive dark ride. Yeah they are cool, but a simple ride through with good themeing and a lot of good looking mechanical figures providing sight gags and kinetic energy would be acceptable. And less costly and easier to maintain.

For a park like SW, and aimed for kids like Sesame Street, I don't think you need an expensive AA filled interactive dark ride. Yeah they are cool, but a simple ride through with good themeing and a lot of good looking mechanical figures providing sight gags and kinetic energy would be acceptable. And less costly and easier to maintain.

Pair it with a small indoor play area and its more than enough.

Can I vote that a Sesame dark ride not be interactive? Even as a kid I hated the distraction of having to wear my fingers out shooting at targets for the entirety of a ride rather than actually taking in the ride... If I wanted a high-stress low-complexity arcade game on a moving platform I could go play Fruit Ninja in the car lol. I can't be the only one who feels this way, right? Right?

Can I vote that a Sesame dark ride not be interactive? Even as a kid I hated the distraction of having to wear my fingers out shooting at targets for the entirety of a ride rather than actually taking in the ride... If I wanted a high-stress low-complexity arcade game on a moving platform I could go play Fruit Ninja in the car lol. I can't be the only one who feels this way, right? Right?

I will admit that shooter rides are tiring. That or me not playing video games hasn't toughened up my fingers. While I understand the allure of a shooter ride, IP's like Sesame Street don't really scream "shooter ride". That would be like making a Mr. Rogers Shooter ride where you ride the trolley and shoot at targets. Not very Mr Rogers, although I wouldn't have minded Lady Elaine disappearing.

I will admit that shooter rides are tiring. That or me not playing video games hasn't toughened up my fingers. While I understand the allure of a shooter ride, IP's like Sesame Street don't really scream "shooter ride". That would be like making a Mr. Rogers Shooter ride where you ride the trolley and shoot at targets. Not very Mr Rogers, although I wouldn't have minded Lady Elaine disappearing.
Personally, my biggest gripe with the shooter rides is that they divert 100% of your attention to just mindlessly shooting at stuff and trying to rack up more points than the people next to you, and then when it's over you're left thinking "phew, glad all that shooting's over, oh crap did I just miss the whole ride?!" It's the same issue I have with the Disney animation overlays of old Epcot rides like the Three Caballeros, it adds some element to the ride that isn't interesting or fun but completely distracts you from the actual ride and manages to take away from the overall experience.

What would be cool to see is a ride that incorporates some interactive elements more organically into the story of the ride or in a way that simply enhances the experience instead of being the main focus. Like if there were a Sesame Street ocean exploration ride, each rider gets a wand or something (maybe similar to the interactive wands they sell) that you'd be prompted to use at a few key moments to give the illusion that you're shrinking the submarine to microscopic size or saving a whale that's caught in a net.

• Love
Reactions: SkiBum
The worst is the Spiderman ride at DCA - more tiring and even less coherent than other shooters, even though there's actual tasks to complete. You're just distracted by the PEW PEW PEW PEW LOOK OVER THERE PEW PEW PEW of the whole thing.

Totally unrelated but SeaWorld's future plans should also include a major extended refurb of JTA, on the same level as the Indiana Jones and Revenge of the Mummy refurbs. Even by recent SeaWorld standards, the level of neglect that ride has gotten over the past decade is unreal. I have to wonder if the reason they haven't even repainted it in years is that the new leadership would only let them repaint it in some garish two-tone color scheme like they've done with their roller coasters and gift shops, and they'd rather just let it rot.

Totally unrelated but SeaWorld's future plans should also include a major extended refurb of JTA, on the same level as the Indiana Jones and Revenge of the Mummy refurbs. Even by recent SeaWorld standards, the level of neglect that ride has gotten over the past decade is unreal. I have to wonder if the reason they haven't even repainted it in years is that the new leadership would only let them repaint it in some garish two-tone color scheme like they've done with their roller coasters and gift shops, and they'd rather just let it rot.
They did just retrack the drop(s?) and touched up the interior a bit

I don't see a time when the effects as they were will ever come back

That's why I'm actually kind of interested to see how DarKoaster turns out...

I'm interested to see what kind of "effects" they're comfortable implementing

At the very least some projection mapping that brought back the original story would be nice

So, you guys have... Let's just say, are getting close to things I've heard. Yes, JTA IS getting a slow massive refurbishment. The effects (Alurua) are coming back, along with using the new exit. As for the previously mentioned flying theater. I'm aware it was something that they considered to replace all versions of the simulator rides

So, you guys have... Let's just say, are getting close to things I've heard. Yes, JTA IS getting a slow massive refurbishment. The effects (Alurua) are coming back, along with using the new exit. As for the previously mentioned flying theater. I'm aware it was something that they considered to replace all versions of the simulator rides
Would be nice to go on his and not have to do all the voices lol.

PTL

Camera technology and digital projectors should make flying theaters cheaper than ever from a content cost. As someone pointed out Legoland with much less attendance can afford a flying theater with custom content.

I hope so much they restore journey to Atlantis. It should be one of the best rides in Orlando. It's so misguided for a park to let any ride of that quality deteriorate because they can't pay for real maintenance.

I heard a rumbling that a straddle coaster may not be what's coming here.

I suppose we'll see in a little bit when track arrives

But there is rumbling that another B&M prototype is coming

Interesting rumor, could B&M be going smaller?

Anyway, I was thinking SWO are setting themselves up nicely to pair with Epic Universe in 2025. They imagine all sorts of theme parks and coaster nerds will visit, so why not peel off a day at UOR by skipping a park with no new coasters (USF or IOA)? If you haven't been to Orlando since 2022 then most likely Ice Breaker, Pipeline, and this next coaster will be huge draws.

Interesting rumor, could B&M be going smaller?

Anyway, I was thinking SWO are setting themselves up nicely to pair with Epic Universe in 2025. They imagine all sorts of theme parks and coaster nerds will visit, so why not peel off a day at UOR by skipping a park with no new coasters (USF or IOA)? If you haven't been to Orlando since 2022 then most likely Ice Breaker, Pipeline, and this next coaster will be huge draws.
Not sure if many have seen, but B&M has been experimenting a bit with 'smaller' concepts

Also, the new Jumanji shuttle coaster is an interesting break from the norm

Side note: the Wing Coaster is proving to be surprisingly versatile

Food for thought but with LEGOLand in Sichuan, China looking to invest in it; maybe SWO is wanting to bring a family invert to the park? That could explain why it might be a prototype. Especially if it launches before Merlin's.

moz2vl7podi71.jpg

Reactions: shiekra38