Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 101 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As somehow who isn't necessarily a Star Wars fan, Looking at the model, I knew immediately it was Star Wars, and not just because I recognized the spaceships or droids. The geometric, concrete architecture - I think - is a lot more telling than some people are giving it credit for. Some of you are saying it seems "generic sci-fi", but when I (and the GP) think of generic sci-fi, I think metallic and sleek. Thats why Tomorrowland and EPCOT look the way they do. This is not to say Star Wars is the only franchise that has this more organic approach to sci-fi. But, Star Wars is certainly what the GP will associate it with.

In terms of exposure, I've seen the original trilogy once or twice (never could get into it) and Force Awakens (thoroughly enjoyed it), so I know main character names, some droid/technology names, one or two planet names, and I can recognize iconography. I'd say I'm about as informed as your average guest.

And with that, I'll say that I am incredibly excited about this land. Granted, I also know that it's packing 2 E-tickets behind that (gorgeous) rockwork, but even with no emotional or nostalgic feelings toward the IP, I think the model is really exciting, and I'm looking forward to weaving in and around this port to explore what it has to offer.

Lastly, per the comments about there being a lot of concrete, I think this is where the details will make all the difference. The model is showing lots of opportunity for fabric and metal details to be integrated, so from eye-level, I think the textures are going to be really something else.

I would think everyone's perception of what sci-fi is would differ quite a bit to be honest, so it really depends on the person rather than their knowledge of the franchise. :)

The name I actually quite like, like others have mentioned it opens up the possibility of more lands and it makes the more rusty and concrete style seem to work more with the name. Although I am probably getting ahead of myself we could see other parks gain a land, and with the various forest/jungle scenes within the franchise possibly something for Animal Kingdom?

It's getting quite exciting now, and whilst Universal and Disney will be competing for guests all I see this as is that we will be getting some fantastic attractions over the next 5 years wether it be Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge or the Forbidden Forest!

Reactions: fryoj
I'm surprised that the thread names for DHS and DL haven't changed, especially with "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge" in the source code itself.

Either way, still meh on the name, but that doesn't damper my excitement for the land. But as @Joe mentioned; it makes sense as it will allow them to do more lands for the future as an expansion of both DL and DHS.

EDIT: From The Dis, our first look at the droids.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I can't say I'm surprise that DL's is opening first. They're about 5 months ahead of DHS in terms of construction. Knowing how TDA is, there is NO WAY they were going to let this land just sit for 5 months until WDW finished construction.

So what I get from the Millennium Falcon ride is that you are in an enlarged version of the cockpit of the ship (simulator plus screen). Guests in the frontrow need to shoot and have control on the flying, the guests in the next two rows do nothing but are haunted by the outcome throughout Edge?
images

So no:
il_570xN.952611064_45vu.jpg

And no:
mom_falcon-300x231.jpg

Reactions: UNIrd
I'm curious how you will transition into the falcon. Will we actually walk into the Falcon? I can't wrap that around my head, since there are multiple theaters, will their be multiple falcon interiors?

I'm curious how you will transition into the falcon. Will we actually walk into the Falcon? I can't wrap that around my head, since there are multiple theaters, will their be multiple falcon interiors?
Maybe, just throwing this out there, but maybe secluded preshow rooms with only our group. Opens into Millenium Falcon with holochess on table and everything. We get into cockpit. New "blast shield" cockpit doors close behind us and we take off.

The main floor of the Falcon stays behind as load station for next "cockpit" ride vehicle that lands into place.

That's how I would do it.

Reactions: rioriz
I know some people are saying that only a few sections of the DL version will be open and no rides until WDW is ready but it definitely sounds like they want to open the entire land at once.

This forum should've stayed with it's old name. If Universal didn't acquire the Nintendo IP, they'd be a goner. So much greatness was announced from Disney.

People are saying the SW hotel will have an entrance into SW land.

This forum should've stayed with it's old name. If Universal didn't acquire the Nintendo IP, they'd be a goner. So much greatness was announced from Disney.

People are saying the SW hotel will have an entrance into SW land.
Yeah, too bad Nintendo is all they've got with nothing like a whole new third park (not VB) or anything like that.