Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

To me it will be interesting to see when the hype dies for this land.

I feel like bloggers make it sound like the best and in way its amazing, I love the look of the land, the MK Q and Mario Kart ride to me are also great and the mini games are cool with no lines.

But yeah most people who see it seem to be like thats cool but have complaints but then I guess aren't telling other people because the crowds in this land get insane.

So its one of those things that people say one thing like when people say Disneyland is over priced yet still go

completing and getting a Key at each Key minigame location and then hope that you tap your band fast enough to actually collect the key. And only once you have all three keys can you do the Bowser Jr. "attraction".

There are 4 minigames. You do need 3 keys for Bowser Jr., but they don't have to be unique keys. What I do when lines are long is repeat the Thwomp game. My family of 5 share one band. We'll split up and pass the band around for a second round and can get 2 keys while lining up once. Line up a second time and we'll have at least 3 keys to do Bowser Jr. in 10-20 mins.

Thwomp usually has the shortest lines and is the easiest game to get a key (Goomba Crank is also easy, but line is slow as it's only one at a time.)

Since Piranha Plant, Thwomp and Bowser Jr. are multi-player games, you can ask strangers who have a band if you can join their group if you don't have a band. Piranha Plant and Thwomp can have up to 4 players at a time. For Bowser Jr., it depends on the TM. I've been told by one TM that each band gets a +1 while others have allowed a +3. So, it's still possible to enjoy some of the minigames if you don't have a band.

There are 4 minigames. You do need 3 keys for Bowser Jr., but they don't have to be unique keys. What I do when lines are long is repeat the Thwomp game. My family of 5 share one band. We'll split up and pass the band around for a second round and can get 2 keys while lining up once. Line up a second time and we'll have at least 3 keys to do Bowser Jr. in 10-20 mins.

Thwomp usually has the shortest lines and is the easiest game to get a key (Goomba Crank is also easy, but line is slow as it's only one at a time.)

Since Piranha Plant, Thwomp and Bowser Jr. are multi-player games, you can ask strangers who have a band if you can join their group if you don't have a band. Piranha Plant and Thwomp can have up to 4 players at a time. For Bowser Jr., it depends on the TM. I've been told by one TM that each band gets a +1 while others have allowed a +3. So, it's still possible to enjoy some of the minigames if you don't have a band.
I wish they made an official policy on the Boss battle

Like if your kid has a band and your a parent you get to go in but if your with a friend who doesn't have a band they can't? It would be nice for more clarification and a sign out front

Well I mean I guess that's nice to know now (may potentially go back in October for HHN), but they really should make it more clear in park. What I really didn't like about USH in general was I never found a paper map and i'm actually not even sure if they have them since we never ran into one in the 12 hours we were at the park.

went in as blind as a tourist pretty much (with the exception of seeing a few photos and knowing it's an AR ride) so I didn't even find out about the keys for the longest time because it's all on the app and I had no idea that to do Bowser Jr it is, quite literally, pay to play (in that you can only do it if you or someone in your party has a Power-Up Band and you have three Keys). By the time I figured it out, I didn't care anymore.

I guess good to know for the future, but I shouldn't have to pull up the app to find out about something like that. I try to stay off my phone as much as it's still possible these days while at a theme park. Almost never look at wait times on the app and instead look at a wait time board. I guess i'm just old school in that way.

I understand if it might have been because of COVID and/or a resource saving measure, but I wish they still made paper maps. I can only imagine what the SLOP and now SNW paper maps would have looked like.

I understand if it might have been because of COVID and/or a resource saving measure, but I wish they still made paper maps. I can only imagine what the SLOP and now SNW paper maps would have looked like.
I get paper maps at every park I go to when I travel to sort of commemorate the trip in my own way. I have stacks on stacks on stacks of maps in a bin in my closet and always date them so I know what trip it was from and in the case of Disneyland for example, write down what fireworks show was showing.

Well I mean I guess that's nice to know now (may potentially go back in October for HHN), but they really should make it more clear in park. What I really didn't like about USH in general was I never found a paper map and i'm actually not even sure if they have them since we never ran into one in the 12 hours we were at the park.
I think it's part of their "Green is Universal" initiatives. There aren't any available, same with HHN

We don’t need paper maps at USH. The park is small and extremely easy to navigate. I get people are sentimental for them but it was an obvious cost-saver.
It is to people who've been there before, but if it's your first time not as much. I don't think they're completely necessary except for Horror Nights, which is considerably more confusing imo

It is to people who've been there before, but if it's your first time not as much. I don't think they're completely necessary except for Horror Nights, which is considerably more confusing imo
I dunno, I think it applies to first-timers, too. I know multiple people who have visited USH for the first time ever since SNW opened and two of them (who don’t know each other and visited separately) commented on the park’s size and navigability. “Way easier than Disney.”

One jaunt around the upper lot and you’ve pretty much got it, and obviously the lower lot is basically just a plaza.

I didn't need a map to find my way around. Of course part of that is I had been to the park once before and I (along with my friends) also follow what goes on at USH, so we aren't your typical first-timers. I can see a lot of actual first timers being confused on where certain things are, but I mostly wanted one just for my map collection :lol: I think I still have mine from 2013 if I were to dig through my collection.

We always knew SNW was going to be small...I think for the size of the space they were able to accomplish a lot and if you run out of things to do in the land, the intent is that you enjoy the rest of your day at Universal Studios Hollywood (an already small park). It has earned all its praise and shine.

We always knew SNW was going to be small...I think for the size of the space they were able to accomplish a lot and if you run out of things to do in the land, the intent is that you enjoy the rest of your day at Universal Studios Hollywood (an already small park). It has earned all its praise and shine.
Hey, the park had enough for us to do to fill out a day. But i'm not singing SNW's praises at all unless the addition of DKC comes. Like, I get it, it's a small park. But after experiencing this SNW, it's fairly lackluster and I guess my main question is had they taken that extra space that Panda occupies to make the land larger, would there have been room for Yoshi or no?

If the Soundstages next door can go and they decide to add DKC, then i'll say it's a solid land. Right now, it's pretty and there's interactive stuff and it's definitely popular, but it just feels like, had I not bought the Power Up Band, there would've been nothing to do. My friends got bored very quickly for instance. As I said in my review of the land, it feels like a poor man's attempt at SNW so they have an excuse to make buckets on buckets of money in merch and power up bands.

We don’t need paper maps at USH. The park is small and extremely easy to navigate. I get people are sentimental for them but it was an obvious cost-saver.

While I'd agree, I'd also say you'd be surprised. I think I mentioned it in another thread before, but I had a friend who went last year with her boyfriend -- they spent all day in the park. I asked them what they thought of Jurassic World, and both were baffled; they didn't even realize the Lower Lot existed, so they missed out on JW, Mummy, Transformers... It's really bizarre how you can spend an entire day there and not realize you're missing the friggin' Lower Lot, but considering how many times I've overheard people being lost in the park, being surprised about stuff in the park (including once last year when someone didn't even realize there was "a Harry Potter land" while we were in line for SLOP), and so on, I never underestimate how the average person might need their hand held (even if I personally don't understand it) no matter how easy it is for us who've been a million times to navigate.

While I'd agree, I'd also say you'd be surprised. I think I mentioned it in another thread before, but I had a friend who went last year with her boyfriend -- they spent all day in the park. I asked them what they thought of Jurassic World, and both were baffled; they didn't even realize the Lower Lot existed, so they missed out on JW, Mummy, Transformers... It's really bizarre how you can spend an entire day there and not realize you're missing the friggin' Lower Lot, but considering how many times I've overheard people being lost in the park, being surprised about stuff in the park (including once last year when someone didn't even realize there was "a Harry Potter land" while we were in line for SLOP), and so on, I never underestimate how the average person might need their hand held (even if I personally don't understand it) no matter how easy it is for us who've been a million times to navigate.
ditto. Viking is overestimating the intellect of the GP. I know locals who had no idea of a lower lot or even the Studio Tour!

You do you but if you don’t even go online and look at what attractions and shows they have that’s on you

I’m not against printer maps but almost every corner or the park has something telling you to use the App for info on the park as well, heck even the tour tells you to download the app to make the best of your day

Back to SNW, I think helpful signs themed as instruction manuals would be welcome and a sign out front of bowser Jr boss battle with the rules on who needs a band to enter would also be nice

You do you but if you don’t even go online and look at what attractions and shows they have that’s on you

I’m not against printer maps but almost every corner or the park has something telling you to use the App for info on the park as well, heck even the tour tells you to download the app to make the best of your day

Back to SNW, I think helpful signs themed as instruction manuals would be welcome and a sign out front of bowser Jr boss battle with the rules on who needs a band to enter would also be nice
You do realize not everyone has a smartphone, right? If my grandparents were to go to the parks (granted they'd go in Orlando and have gone just by themselves before, but let's pretend Orlando doesn't have paper maps), they'd be totally lost and confused. There's also a solid portion of the population in flyover states that still use flip phones and get 720p internet on a good day.

I know some people out in the midwest that still subscribe to Netflix DVD's or use Red Box still because internet isn't reliable enough or not strong enough. That problem extends to cellular so there's a portion that don't see the need to upgrade their phone because where they live it's not needed.

A friend I know was saying that SeaWorld Orlando has moved to no paper maps and they have an aging demographic anyways. Now every day they get a bunch of questions about where the maps are, TMs point to the QR codes, and then the guests just stare at them wondering where the map is.

You do realize not everyone has a smartphone, right? If my grandparents were to go to the parks (granted they'd go in Orlando and have gone just by themselves before, but let's pretend Orlando doesn't have paper maps), they'd be totally lost and confused. There's also a solid portion of the population in flyover states that still use flip phones and get 720p internet on a good day.

I know some people out in the midwest that still subscribe to Netflix or use Red Box still because internet isn't reliable enough or not strong enough. That problem extends to cellular so there's a portion that don't see the need to upgrade their phone because where they live it's not needed.

A friend I know was saying that SeaWorld Orlando has moved to no paper maps and they have an aging demographic anyways. Now every day they get a bunch of questions about where the maps are, TMs point to the QR codes, and then the guests just stare at them wondering where the map is.
Once again not against maps but close to 99 percent of people going to the parks have phones
WiFi is proved to help as well

I’m honestly impressed USH offers printed tickets for SLOP and SNW because at Disneyland if you don’t have a smart phone you can’t see WOC or use genie plus