The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based off a podcast I watched that just made an episode ripping apart Twister...I feel like I'm the only one who liked it.

: (

You were in a minority, for sure. Lots of fans and the general public really didn't care for the attraction that ultimately was "move room to room then stand and watch some rain". Its demise was highly anticipated and NUMEROUS Twister jokes were put into the Jack show in HHN25. I think the attraction aged better in memory since its closure and is getting a semi-nostalgia bump right now (Twister closed down 6 1/2 years ago).

I wouldn't have a problem at all with Jimmy if it were just a walkthrough museum (nor would most of those who dislike it).
Actually, Alene and I like Race Through NY, and ride it often. I really enjoy the museum, especially since I go way back and remember watching the superior Steve Allen & Jack Paar versions. BUT, even though we most always tarry and look at the museum info, I rarely see anyone else doing that. Generally, most guests go straight upstairs to the very excellent pre shows. So, I doubt a museum only would attract more than a handful of people.

You were in a minority, for sure. Lots of fans and the general public really didn't care for the attraction that ultimately was "move room to room then stand and watch some rain". Its demise was highly anticipated and NUMEROUS Twister jokes were put into the Jack show in HHN25. I think the attraction aged better in memory since its closure and is getting a semi-nostalgia bump right now (Twister closed down 6 1/2 years ago).

It wasn't great but I just appreciate it because of its creativity compared to that thing that replaced it.

Based off a podcast I watched that just made an episode ripping apart Twister...I feel like I'm the only one who liked it.

: (
It's funny when people talk about how same-y many of the rides are at Universal now

Ironically, back in the "golden years" you could find several attractions that relied on the same schtick and effects

Twister, although one of my favorite films, was outdone effect-wise by attractions that existed in the same park

I still think it could have made a killer dark ride though

It's funny when people talk about how same-y many of the rides are at Universal now

Ironically, back in the "golden years" you could find several attractions that relied on the same schtick and effects

Twister, although one of my favorite films, was outdone effect-wise by attractions that existed in the same park

I still think it could have made a killer dark ride though

I've said my piece on variety at Studios then vs. now, but admittedly it's true that Twister was the weakest effects extravaganza. I will defend Disaster as an under-appreciated gem til the day I die, though!

Last edited:
Twister is the best of the three attractions to occupy that building thus far.

I will defend Disaster as an under-appreciated gem til the day I die, though!

The primary show scene of Earthquake/Disaster remained very impressive to me until its demise. I doubt we'll ever see moving, physical setpieces on that scale in an attraction ever again.

If Fallon wasn't placed inside a theme park with other motion simulators it would have been received well by fans.

The GP absolutely loves it.
Can attest, fam loves it.

I’ve mentioned it somewhere here before but my mom mentioned recently how fun a mini studio tour could be if they can expand USF and place the HHN houses some other places, it’d accompany Fallon and 30 Rock really well I think with an NBC/Universal tour. Have Kenan host it!

Reactions: n i c k
Best thing USF has going for it right now when compared to IOA or even WDW is the variety of live entertainment. Horror makeup, Bourne, and Animal Actors are all crowd pleasers and there's a shocking amount of street entertainment especially if there's a festival going on. It's lacking on some attraction quality and variety right now but I at least prefer to walk around and take in the surroundings of USF over most parts of IOA.

The facade/the interior/pre-shows are expertly done. They make the ride worth it. The "ride" itself - meh. I'm in the camp that adored Twister and was a must-do all throughout my childhood. By the time they tore it out (6 and 1/2 years ago?!?!?! im getting old), it was one of the last standing OG USF rides and certainly jerked about the heartstrings. Although I appreciate the new experiences, nothing will ever top Kong, Jaws, BTTF, and Earthquake for me.

The facade/the interior/pre-shows are expertly done. They make the ride worth it. The "ride" itself - meh. I'm in the camp that adored Twister and was a must-do all throughout my childhood. By the time they tore it out (6 and 1/2 years ago?!?!?! im getting old), it was one of the last standing OG USF rides and certainly jerked about the heartstrings. Although I appreciate the new experiences, nothing will ever top Kong, Jaws, BTTF, and Earthquake for me.
Didn't Twister replace Ghostbusters?

Didn't Twister replace Ghostbusters?
Yes. In fact Ghostbusters replaced Ghostbusters (totally revamped show). Funny aside: When Disaster closed, we team members got a party, food, cake and T-shirts. Poor Twister team got basically nothing. When one of them asked someone (who shall remain nameless) why they didn't get a big sendoff he replied "Because you're attraction sucked, thats why" LOL

I at least prefer to walk around and take in the surroundings of USF over most parts of IOA.

I have to choose IOA here. Even with the jungle ambiance of Jurassic Park significantly chipped-away, I love the design aesthetics (for the most part) of the various islands, and can fully enjoy just walking around and soaking in the atmosphere. The area music loops are all terrific, too.

USF has a couple of excellent areas (with Diagon being the greatest themed land in Orlando), but for the most part, it carries too many reminders of all the things that used to be there that I enjoyed more than what's currently there.

USF was our hangout park. Lots of food and drink options, easy layout to mix around areas, it’s a good environment, just needs the ride quality to support it. The street entertainment helps, along with actually having shows.

Reactions: WAJAS
Question for any insiders that may be able to answer, does Universal themselves see their older properties as still valuable? It was a shock on my recent trip to see more merch for Back to the Future and Jaws than anything besides Potter and Jurassic Park. Do you think this is just to grab a quick buck or are they willing at all to re-introduce some of these IPs as full attractions?

With the Simpsons contract end date coming up in a couple of years and San Francisco having a notoriously horrible attraction, it seems these areas are practically begging to be rethemed to Hill Valley and Amity respectively, and they would fit in with Universal's push for lands themed to a single IP while not being too extensive overhauls. San Fran already has some seaside theming and Springfield's exteriors are pretty basic.

Question for any insiders that may be able to answer, does Universal themselves see their older properties as still valuable? It was a shock on my recent trip to see more merch for Back to the Future and Jaws than anything besides Potter and Jurassic Park. Do you think this is just to grab a quick buck or are they willing at all to re-introduce some of these IPs as full attractions?

With the Simpsons contract end date coming up in a couple of years and San Francisco having a notoriously horrible attraction, it seems these areas are practically begging to be rethemed to Hill Valley and Amity respectively, and they would fit in with Universal's push for lands themed to a single IP while not being too extensive overhauls. San Fran already has some seaside theming and Springfield's exteriors are pretty basic.
A revived Back to the Future attraction could and should replace Fast and Furious supercharged. They would have gut the building and start from scratch with a whole new ride system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.